IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
@Ace2306 @BaRRyG What did y'all use to lab for Network+ in Per Scholas? I ask because from what I've read on reddit & techexams forums, it's almost impossible to pass the Net+ without hand-on experience either on the job or doing labs.

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
@Ace2306 @BaRRyG What did y'all use to lab for Network+ in Per Scholas? I ask because from what I've read on reddit & techexams forums, it's almost impossible to pass the Net+ without hand-on experience either on the job or doing labs.

Not true.

Most who passed just studied harder. Labs are good for experience though.

Simulations are a must though, you fail 1 sim and chances are you gonna fail exam.

Going back to retake NET+ this month. The A+ hasn't landed me anything yet. Im fukked up in the game. Not even entry level work in finding.

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Yea that Net+ was a beast but it's doable. The messor extended cheat sheet is good the powercert vids and the messor net+ vids. shyt is hard though I thought I failed before I saw my score. And yes the sims are a must

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
I j
Yea that Net+ was a beast but it's doable. The messor extended cheat sheet is good the powercert vids and the messor net+ vids. shyt is hard though I thought I failed before I saw my score. And yes the sims are a must

I have cheat sheets on pdf

The Minister Of Culture

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Is there anyone here that can guide me on the way to getting those more high paying IT careers im a beginner starting from scratch no certs or degree I plan on taking the security+,N+& etc later on.what steps should I take and what should be my 1st job to get my foot in the door?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Going back to retake NET+ this month. The A+ hasn't landed me anything yet. Im fukked up in the game. Not even entry level work in finding.

:wow: That "getting your first entry-level IT job in NYC" struggle is real. Try looking for a Help Desk/Desktop support job at a MSP or Tech Support job at a ISP/Cable Company.

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Not true.

Simulations are a must though, you fail 1 sim and chances are you gonna fail exam.

Going to leave this long ass copy & paste from this thread that I got in my notes app. Good luck
you can always knock out an RHCSA and RHCE and jump right to a sysadmin role and skip that helpdesk shyt nikkas push on here.

I would say the biggest tip I could tell anyone is: learn how to write code, even if its just bash/powershell automation scripting. It sets you apart from most sysadmins and gives your career a hefty boost, plus it makes it easier to move into DevOps which is where the field is heading. I can tell you from personal experience that even using configuration management tools such as Puppet or Chef (which means you have to learn Ruby) is much easier when you have a base to work off of. Spending my free time learning Python and Bash scripting in my first year of IT work paid dividends in my next couple of jobs.

Yeah, pass the RHCSA, which is easy as shyt. The RHCSA is the Linux version of a MCSA except you don't have to take a million other exams first. So, the Linux side is easier and pays more.

Yea, if you want to skip help desk. Get the RHCSA instead of Linux+. It holds more weight.

Use this link to study:

RHCE Series: How to Setup and Test Static Network Routing - Part 1
RHCE Series: How to Setup and Test Static Network Routing - Part 1

I linked the RHCE on purpose. If you study this; the RHCSA finna be a breeze.

If you want to learn to use Linux, use it. Ubuntu and Mint are easy as fukk to use now. If you're shook just lab it with VirtualBox for a couple months

search for Linux. I see 55 listings in ya city.

Pick a skill that is in demand near you, or move to a city that has more jobs.

As far as applying to jobs in other states. Use Google maps to find a random address in that city. (Honestly, u can take ya address off ur resume).

As for job sites. Simplyhired, monster, LinkedIn to name a few.

Most important: Resume > Certs

If you can show an interviewer scripts or tools you wrote in Python, Perl, or Ruby - You will get a job. If you can explain in detail how you have a lab with VSphere running AD, LAMP, SAN, SIEM, NGFW, IPS/IDS - you will get a job. Get creative. Best part is, those two options are free. Compared to expensive certs.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
:wow: That "getting your first entry-level IT job in NYC" struggle is real. Try looking for a HelpDesk/Desktop support job at a MSP or Tech Support at a ISP/Cable Comapny.
That first entry level job for developers is no joke either. I applied up and down the west coast and in Texas and struggled to land something.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Been cranking out the required classroom time for the ITIL Intermediate exams. Hoping to take the MALC by the end of the year.

Daps
let me give yall who want to get into IT but not sure where to go, a tip

linux

linux is hot af right now. i had a phone interview yesterday and talked with 2 recruiters. just got off the phone with another today. looking to pay $60-$65/hr.

im already employed at a super company, top 20 fortune 500. simply letting all of these companies go against each other if i even decide to leave :sas1:

ive literally had recruiters tell me they had to expand their pool outside of their area/state because they cant find enough qualified, linux people.

Going to leave this long ass copy & paste from this thread that I got in my notes app. Good luck

i missed this a few posts up but this entire post is accurate. im in this field. there's bags to be gotten.

Last edited:

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not true.

How long did u study before u took the Network+ the first time?