IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:ehh:

Studying for my CEH... Probably gonna be studying this for about a month, not sure if I'll test. Was thinking about going into a bootcamp in mid april, but I honestly start school afain in May and CEH is a part of the course work.

Right now, going through online lectures, Udemy (put that on hold until I finish some lectures), then probably gonna read thd book and do everything over again before I decide to test foreal. If I'm done by April then Ill do the bootcamp, if not just gonna go the long route through school.. At least thats the plan

I can always come out of pocket and pay for it but fukk that. I wonder if GI bill will pay for the bootcamp/test while I'm in school?
Did you decide which WGU IT degree you're gonna major in?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

Studying for my CEH... Probably gonna be studying this for about a month, not sure if I'll test. Was thinking about going into a bootcamp in mid april, but I honestly start school afain in May and CEH is a part of the course work.

Right now, going through online lectures, Udemy (put that on hold until I finish some lectures), then probably gonna read thd book and do everything over again before I decide to test foreal. If I'm done by April then Ill do the bootcamp, if not just gonna go the long route through school.. At least thats the plan

I can always come out of pocket and pay for it but fukk that. I wonder if GI bill will pay for the bootcamp/test while I'm in school?
Went to look at buying my voucher last week and saw that shyt went from $600 to $1,000 :what:

Spin

All Star
Daps

You might just want to start studying for the CISSP instead of the CEH. The CISSP is a higher regarded cert (though both are just book knowledge) and will get you call backs.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
You might just want to start studying for the CISSP instead of the CEH. The CISSP is a higher regarded cert (though both are just book knowledge) and will get you call backs.
Don't care about it honestly

I actually am interested in CEH...

I'm really not doing it for callbacks either.. I'm good atm:yeshrug:

All I got to do is recertify in Sec+... Which is apart of my degree plan anyway, and I'm good.

I'll get CISSP if the next employer pays for it but thats about it

Dig

Catch Up
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
So I have a choice I need some outside info on. I have to choose between a BS in Information Systems or Technology. Tech BS is in Science and IMS is in Business Administration. Technology BS seems like I can go a few different paths but will have to get in at a lower pay with a higher ceiling. Information systems seems to be a more planned path with specific jobs out there for that degree. I have background with some Java, C++ and Python but don't wanna go the programmer route. @O.T.I.S.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
So I have a choice I need some outside info on. I have to choose between a BS in Information Systems or Technology. Tech BS is in Science and IMS is in Business Administration. Technology BS seems like I can go a few different paths but will have to get in at a lower pay with a higher ceiling. Information systems seems to be a more planned path with specific jobs out there for that degree. I have background with some Java, C++ and Python but don't wanna go the programmer route. @O.T.I.S.
I'm in information systems now until I start this new school in May

So honestly, it sounds like a decision you're just going to have to make:yeshrug:

I had to make the decision of staying in networking (which I have a lot of experience in) or Cybersecurity (which I also have experience in but not as much)...

Whats the Technology degree path look like?

• Dap
Reactions: Dig

Dig

Catch Up
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I'm in information systems now until I start this new school in May

So honestly, it sounds like a decision you're just going to have to make:yeshrug:

I had to make the decision of staying in networking (which I have a lot of experience in) or Cybersecurity (which I also have experience in but not as much)...

Whats the Technology degree path look like?

Yeah man I'm nearly done if I go the technology route. Ill be done by the end of the summer. IMS is gonna take me to the end of the year/spring next year. I've done my programming classes and just have some professional development seminar classes and some business classes for the technology BS. Do you enjoy Information Systems? What are you pursuing, cyber security? I'm interested in Network Security, but have no experience whatsoever.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Yeah man I'm nearly done if I go the technology route. Ill be done by the end of the summer. IMS is gonna take me to the end of the year/spring next year. I've done my programming classes and just have some professional development seminar classes and some business classes for the technology BS. Do you enjoy Information Systems? What are you pursuing, cyber security? I'm interested in Network Security, but have no experience whatsoever.
It's cool:ehh:

Honestly, its all the same to me. I'm actually interested in Networking and Cyber Security I just don't got a CCNA.

Only thing I hate is just typical helpdesk bullshyt.

If I was you I'd just get the tech degree and then just jump on some certs. I don't think you will have any trouble understanding the concepts of networking and security.

IS was cool, I'm only jumping into Cyber Security because I'm interested in CEH and getting the certs. I don't even care for the degree, certs are the most important thing to me.

I'm not trying to be anyones manager or in charge of anything. That's usually where the degrees come into play

I rather go to work, do my job, and come home and cut my phone tf off. My mom used to be the IT manager for Suntrust bank in Atlanta and hated it. I learned that from her. I'm trying to be more of a contractor, just working overseas every few months or something.

Krazy

Rifle weh taller dan palm tree
Daps
Reppin
Judgement Yard
Got an internship on a service desk for a year:leostare:
Hopefully a nice change from my current job before I go back to graduate.

Hopefully help me get my foot in the door even If I dont go back to Helpdesk/service desk stuff.
At least If I dont enjoy it, I can rule it out also for the future.

Might have goofed on the salary though, I was just happy to get the role I didnt really negotiate its not bad but I wouldn't turn down more money. Might drop an email and see if theres room for some negotiation before I get the contract.

Cyber security sounds cool, I'd love to get into that after I graduate I heard its where the £££ at.
Either way not bad since I literally only applied to like 4 jobs.

I passed the intiial cv screening for IBM too, had to do a video interview and IPAT test - still haven't done the IPAT might be too late now. Probably should have made sure I did it, as their internship as far as IT goes does sound more varied and interesting but I hate these online tests I suck at them and haven't had much time to practise recently.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Just applied to grad school for Data Science. Really hope I do get accepted. I am ready to get this grad program out of the way.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
The CEH a stack? :patrice:
I thought about going for it, but I'm going to go the SANS route. Studying for the GCIH now and hopefully can get up in this SEC503 class and then go through the advanced hacking.
I may come back around to it, about to get my CySA+ to renew my other CompTIA certs and then finally taking down the CISSP :yes: