IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
starting my first helpdesk contract job on wednesday @ 13/hr

still trying to decide where i want to go with my IT career... I started with studying for A+ then started programming for a year now this opportunity has popped up

i need to hurry up and figure out what i want to specialize in so i can get this bag :mindblown:

dem senior networking salaries :banderas:
dem senior web dev salaries + entrepreneurial potential:banderas:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
i need to hurry up and figure out what i want to specialize in so i can get this bag :mindblown:

Web dev because of bolded. Those skills will apply to Infosec too.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
starting my first helpdesk contract job on wednesday @ 13/hr

still trying to decide where i want to go with my IT career... I started with studying for A+ then started programming for a year now this opportunity has popped up

What did you use to study for your A+ exam. I finished the Udemy class, learned a lot, but it's kinda too much. And Myers sometimes adds extra shyt that's not needed for the A+, so it convoluted some of the stuff.

Also, has equipped do you think you are for the work? Do you feel confident you know what you're doing fully? That's my only concern is that I'll get my A+ certification but then get exposed when I have to start working lol.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Finished first part studying on UDEMY, but I'm definitely not ready for 901 exam yet. I need to do some additional studying, because it was a lot of information, and I finished it in a month and a half. I think I need another month of reading books and more videos.

Watch Professor Messer's videos on YouTube. They're free.

Professor Messer's A+ 901 videos: Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-901 A+ Certification Training Course - YouTube

Professor Messer's A+ 902 videos: Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-902 A+ Certification Training Course - YouTube

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
What did you use to study for your A+ exam. I finished the Udemy class, learned a lot, but it's kinda too much. And Myers sometimes adds extra shyt that's not needed for the A+, so it convoluted some of the stuff.

:yeshrug: When my A+ classes end on April 4th, I plan on studying for 2 weeks for the 901 exam (& another 2 weeks after for the 902 exam) by:

1. Going over Professor Messer's A+ course notes & CertBlaster.com's A+ ExamNotes

2. Doing Mike Meyer's Total Tester A+ practice exams.

Also, has equipped do you think you are for the work? Do you feel confident you know what you're doing fully? That's my only concern is that I'll get my A+ certification but then get exposed when I have to start working lol.

You might wanna consider spending the $99 bucks for a 1-year subscription for Mike Meyer's Total Sims Interactive Simulations: https://www.totalsem.com/training-simulations/

They're already 25 free simulations to try out on the website: https://hub.totalsem.com/content/2571

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Watch Professor Messer's videos on YouTube. They're free.

Professor Messer's A+ 901 videos: Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-901 A+ Certification Training Course - YouTube

Professor Messer's A+ 902 videos: Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-902 A+ Certification Training Course - YouTube
:yeshrug: When my A+ classes end on April 4th, I plan on studying for 2 weeks for the 901 exam (& another 2 weeks after for the 902 exam) by:

1. Going over Professor Messer's A+ course notes & CertBlaster.com's A+ ExamNotes

2. Doing Mike Meyer's Total Tester A+ practice exams.

You might wanna consider spending the $99 bucks for a 1-year subscription for Mike Meyer's Total Sims Interactive Simulations: https://www.totalsem.com/training-simulations/

They're already 25 free simulations to try out on the website: https://hub.totalsem.com/content/2571
Appreciate all this bro. Thanks man

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Interviewed for a lead position:whoo:

Seems like the higher I get, the easier the interview. Shiii the last couple jobs; the recruiter told me what questions to expect. They try to throw curve balls in the interview, but if you know your stuff, it's more like softball pitches.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
I was just wondering.. even if I get certified it’s still gonna be pretty much impossible for me to get a job without a degree and me being 24 with a felony huh

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Just finished the 2nd round. More technical but still easy - Besides one question in particular:

SC: How would you stop {insert attack}? :troll:
Czr: a WAF will mitigate that. :takedat:

SC: Oh yeah, which one? :smugbiden:
Czr: the one by Cisco :skip:

Edit:
Just realized the answer was IPS. At least I mentioned my lab w/ Onion. :snoop:

Last edited: