IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Its a great field but changes are coming, if you can really learn the network and server deployment/config stuff.
I'm looking at going to add virtualization certs to my IT management tract that I'm working on.

I asked my cousin who works with computers about programming vs systems/security, and he said do SS.

The IT guy ill be working for said the same, and he said security folks make bread. I also asked him if he recommends an associates or getting a bachelors and he said and associates will get you in the door, but a bachelors will get you the money :wow:

I have to go to a community college first before I can enroll at a 4 year for the systems/security, but the community college doesnt have a SS program, they only have computer science.

Is computer science the same field as SS? or do I just need to take classes to get my GPA up and then transfer, and dont worry about trying to get an associates and bachelors?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I asked my cousin who works with computers about programming vs systems/security, and he said do SS.

The IT guy ill be working for said the same, and he said security folks make bread. I also asked him if he recommends an associates or getting a bachelors and he said and associates will get you in the door, but a bachelors will get you the money :wow:

I have to go to a community college first before I can enroll at a 4 year for the systems/security, but the community college doesnt have a SS program, they only have computer science.

Is computer science the same field as SS? or do I just need to take classes to get my GPA up and then transfer, and dont worry about trying to get an associates and bachelors?

I'll be honest with you, 4 year degrees might not get you the bang for the buck more than certs.
Checkout your community college programs. See if they offer programs for CCNA, from there spend money and training on getting certs in security, SANS probably are going to be your toughest most respect certs in Security, classes are expensive as hell too, but the experience you'll get with the IT guy will help you big time when it comes time to move on.

Spin

All Star
Daps

If you're going to get a bachelors, just get it the cheapest way you can. The subject matter isn't really going to matter. A bachelors won't make you rich but at this point it just helps prevent you from losing out on jobs that require a bachelors. The education world is shifting back to where going to top 15 target schools is one of the few ways to graduate with a high paying job. The beauty of IT is it's a hustler sport for everyone else. If you can get a help desk/desktop support job on campus, that will be worth as much as your degree as far as landing your first job. If you're interested in the military that is also a great option. They will pay you, provide you certs, and you will get guaranteed work experience plus a security clearance.

I was offered a job for more money to go back to help desk. They basically wanted me to train incoming graduates from the top 10 schools that they were going to hire to do IT. That's the BS that can happen if you don't take care of yourself in this world. You should spend 1/2 years max in help desk/desktop support and then get the hell out. Don't feel indebted to these employers because they sure as hell ain't worried about you.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
If you're going to get a bachelors, just get it the cheapest way you can. The subject matter isn't really going to matter. A bachelors won't make you rich but at this point it just helps prevent you from losing out on jobs that require a bachelors. The education world is shifting back to where going to top 15 target schools is one of the few ways to graduate with a high paying job. The beauty of IT is it's a hustler sport for everyone else. If you can get a help desk/desktop support job on campus, that will be worth as much as your degree as far as landing your first job. If you're interested in the military that is also a great option. They will pay you, provide you certs, and you will get guaranteed work experience plus a security clearance.

I was offered a job for more money to go back to help desk. They basically wanted me to train incoming graduates from the top 10 schools that they were going to hire to do IT. That's the BS that can happen if you don't take care of yourself in this world. You should spend 1/2 years max in help desk/desktop support and then get the hell out. Don't feel indebted to these employers because they sure as hell ain't worried about you.

Did the military thing already. I was an electrician in the service and I really don’t want to do that, unless it’s my last resort.

I’m doing assistant teaching right now, but I’m looking into switching to IT.

Do you need computer experience with help desk jobs or will they hire people just getting into it field?

Spin

All Star
Daps
Did the military thing already. I was an electrician in the service and I really don’t want to do that, unless it’s my last resort.

I’m doing assistant teaching right now, but I’m looking into switching to IT.

Do you need computer experience with help desk jobs or will they hire people just getting into it field?

I’m not here to convince you on the military, but you kind of just solved your experience problem. It sounds like you weren’t in the military for IT. However, since you were already in you have an edge. Have you considered the National Guard or Reserve? If you go in and choose a IT related role you will get the experience and security clearance to put you ahead of 90% of your competition. I would imagine if you were already in you don’t need to redo basic training and will go straight to tech school. The Guard/Reserve is one weekend a month. Plus you will get your college paid for.

To directly answer your question, no you don’t need computer experience but it’s going to make getting a job much easier. If you’re currrently a teacher assistant, you can highlight your troubleshooting experience with audio visual equipment or whatever else you might be doing.

Nothing is going to be handed to you in this field. I know plenty of people who have been in IT for years and are happy to stay in desktop support. You’re competing with these people. That’s part of what makes it tough getting that first shot. Anything you can do to separate yourself from the herd is going to help.

Daps
bachelors and he said and associates will get you in the door, but a bachelors will get you the money :wow:

This is the truth. Get a bachelors if you have the means. Get that bread instead of training for a specific job.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
You did course 5 yet? What scripting language did they teach in that course?
if you aren't familiar with coding/scripting at all its going to be a tough one. Its a very intense course for a beginner. I've done object-oriented before in community college (java) and I did some MS Visual Basic so the course was not to difficult conceptually but I did sit through all the videos because Ruby has different syntax.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
im almost done with the IT Support Professional certificate thing. def will taking some scripting/coding courses after this one.

You did course 5 yet? What scripting language did they teach in that course?

if you aren't familiar with coding/scripting at all its going to be a tough one. Its a very intense course for a beginner. I've done object-orientated before in community college (java) and I did some MS Visual Basic so the course was not to difficult conceptually but I did sit through all the videos because Ruby has different syntax.

I passed a WIndows command line class years ago in Community College. Plus I've been going over Windows/Linux/MacOS command line stuff because I'm currently taking a A+ 902 class. Is that gonna be useful?

Also, I thought it was interesting that that Google decided to teach Ruby when Python is the go-to General-purpose scripting language they recommend for folks in IT.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
I passed a WIndows command line class years ago in Community College. Plus I've been going over Windows/Linux/MacOS command line stuff because I'm currently taking a A+ 902 class. Is that gonna be useful?

Also, I thought it was interesting that that Google decided to teach Ruby when Python is the go-to General-purpose scripting language they recommend for folks in IT.

I don't see much similarity between command line scripting and object oriented programming like Ruby.
In fact In Course 2 a lot of is all about command line in windows and Linux so you should fly through that.
So the fact that they have an entire separate course just for Ruby should let you know.

I find it odd as well because google doesn't even use Ruby in-house. But honestly all those OOP languages use similar syntax. So going to C or java or python shouldn't be a hassle

Last edited: