IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
You got any certs?

Yep, and they're all useless aside from giving context or terminology. Everything useful i learned from self study, on the job exp, and by labbing, taking shyt apart and figuring out how it works, or making shyt.

:manny:

The only other use they have is getting you past HR filters, but once you get to a certain technical level that ain't a problem either.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I'm taking night classes
I just started my A+ night classes too this week. I was disappointed too see the textbook doesn't follow the same order as the exam objectives. But thankfully, there's a dedicated page that breaks down the corresponding textbook chapters for each exam objective subdomain AND there's another set of pages that breaks down the each corresponding sections of textbook chapters for each exam objective subdomain subsection. With that info, I can pretty much skip reading the book outside of class & just watch the corresponding Professor Messer video.

So today Google annouced a new IT cert & scholarship program to go with it:

I was just reading the the cirrulculm for this cert: Google IT Support Professional Certificate | Coursera

This new Google cert isn't comparable to a professional IT cert, it's comparable to graduating with a IT AAS degree or undergraduate certificate from your local community college.
Applied for the scholarship for the google cert this morning.
I just got an email today saying that I was approved.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I just started my A+ night classes too this week. I was disappointed too see the textbook doesn't follow the same order as the exam objectives. But thankfully, there's a dedicated page that breaks down the corresponding textbook chapters for each exam objective subdomain AND there's another set of pages that breaks down the each corresponding sections of textbook chapters for each exam objective subdomain subsection. With that info, I can pretty much skip reading the book outside of class & just watch the corresponding Professor Messer video.

When did you put it in?

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA

Link to apply for said scholarship please :feedme:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
So today Google announced a new IT cert & a scholarship program to go with it:

When did you put it in?

The 1st day they announced it.

Link to apply for said scholarship please :feedme:

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/google-it-support
Through a dynamic mix of video lectures, quizzes, and hand-on labs and widgets, this program will introduce you to troubleshooting and customer service, networking, operating systems, system administration, automation, and security.

Link to apply for the financial aid: https://www.coursera.org/financial-assistance/google-it-support

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IT brehs..

Already have a Bachelor's in IT.....had a few certs....let them expire..5 years experience working....

Should I get more certs or go for a Master's degree (Information Systems and Services)?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
IT brehs..

Already have a Bachelor's in IT.....had a few certs....let them expire..5 years experience working....

Should I get more certs or go for a Master's degree (Information Systems and Services)?
What kind of experience do you have? And what kind of jobs are you interested in?