IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
lol man you must not own anything
I have a mini-ITX desktop, a monitor, a laptop, a PS4, and too much clothes.

I'm paying $900 to live with a married couple in a room that's about twice my arm span by my arm span. And I'm 5 foot 10.

I wouldn't relocate for a QA job breh especial some manual joint when most companies are moving towards automation.
The job description makes it seem like they're moving to automation.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Have a 45 minute technical interview coming up in a couple weeks. Getting the job would change my life because I'd have to move to Cali.

I don't really want to move, but I heard about this job years ago and told myself I'd go anywhere for it.

The recruiter sent me a PDF with interview tips and I have a chat with her coming up before the interview. I'm gonna study my ass off, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.
You get it? What's the job position?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You get it? What's the job position?
I didn't get this one. It was a support position at Google. Would've had to move to Cali or Michigan.

I ended up staying in NYC and getting in at a online retailer. I'm a week into it now. Great benefits and 10k more than my last job. It's really chill and laid back. Plus, they have money, so I can implement things properly.

But support isn't as lucrative as any other field in tech. Even though I just started, I've been planning projects for myself, so that I can use the little coding/scripting skills that I have. I'm pretty much plotting resume improvement projects.

It's a great job. But for me: it would've been great 18 months ago.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
A+ stuff is good to know but fukk paying all that for a cert that just lands you at the bottom career wise. Should I jump to security+ if I want to do cyber security? I do plan to get a IT or IS degree, but I want to start learning now. Also is their a way to do volunteer work for experience? I don't have the extra money to buy "cheap parts" to learn.
If that's how you feel, start with Network+ than do Security+. Here are a couple of CBT Nuggets debating where you should start with A+ or Network+:

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/2016/01/ask-a-trainer-comptia-a-or-network/

Ask a Trainer: CompTIA A+ or Network+
January 25, 2016 | From the Trainers - By Team Nuggets

We recently asked our trainers whether they’d recommend IT newcomers start with the CompTIA Network+ or A+ certifications.

Here’s what they said:

Comptia-Trainer-Poll-1024x801@2x.jpg

Jeremy Cioara recommends to start with A+: “I lean towards someone understanding basic computing and operating systems before I would teach them the network that the computers use.”

Keith Barker recommends to start with Net+: “If the beginner has no experience with a computer, then A+ might be the best start.”

Garth Schulte recommends to start with A+, but get both: “You’ll never become the IT McGyver with just one or the other.”

Anthony Sequeira recommends to start with A+: “Following [A+] with Network+ might be a good idea, but it would depend on their exact career path.”

Chris Ward recommends to start with A+, but get both: “I believe … it is best to get your A+ and then your Network+. All other certs will build on those no matter what direction you go.”

Learn more about the cloud and mobile updates to the revamped A+ 900-series certification in Anthony Sequeira’s webinar, “What’s New with CompTIA A+“.

This week, we also looked at the relevance of the certification, and also asked our Facebook community the same question: “Would you recommend someone start out with A+ or Network+?”

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/2016/01/where-to-start-comptia-a-or-network/

Where to Start: CompTIA A+ or Network+?
January 27, 2016 | From the Trainers - By Raju Woodward

featured-7.png

Earlier this week, we heard from trainers who cast their vote for either starting with CompTIA A+ or Network+, and covered “What’s New with CompTIA A+” with Anthony Sequeira during his webinar.

Choosing which IT certification to pursue first can be daunting to someone who is beginning their IT journey.

Say, for example, you narrow your options down to CompTIA, which is an excellent starting point because CompTIA certifications are vendor neutral. Now we have one of the most hotly debated questions in IT circles: CompTIA A+ or Network+?

Depending on who you ask, the answer varies, and some opinions are stronger than others.

First, let’s quickly break down what the two certifications cover.

CompTIA A+: Learners must take two exams to earn the A+ certification. In December 2015, CompTIA released revamped exams. The 220-901 exam covers PC hardware, mobile device hardware, and troubleshooting hardware and networking connectivity issues. The 220-902 exam focuses on installing and configuring various operating systems, and topics such as security and cloud computing.

CompTIA Network+: Only one exam is required to earn the Network+ certification, which validates a learner’s ability to configure, manage, and troubleshoot wired and wireless networks, as well as their knowledge of other technologies such as unified communications and virtualization.

And now the fun part. Let’s examine which cert you should get first…

Why you should earn your A+ certification:

• Being well-rounded and having a diverse skill set is always a positive, especially in IT.
  • Does the idea of assisting others and helping them resolve computer-related issues appeal to you? Then maybe pursuing a customer support or helpdesk position is for you! A+ certification provides the knowledge and skills you need to thrive in those roles. And you’ll probably need some soft skills, too.
Why you should earn your Network+ certification:

• Depending on your career goals, A+ might not fit well at all. If you already have strong knowledge of computers and a basic understanding of networking, you should go ahead and start with Network+.
  • Speaking of career paths, if your goal is to earn Cisco CCNP certification, start out with Network+.
  • While Network+ is an entry-level certification, it typically holds more value than A+ certification, when it comes to landing an IT role. You need to understand networking before you can move into other areas of focus such as security, virtualization, and the cloud!
For what it’s worth, many of our trainers recommended earning both certifications because you can build off of both well and advance into other areas. They also encourage learners to go in sequence, starting with A+ and then Network+.

Ultimately, the correct answer depends on YOU, the learner.

Where are you comfortable starting? What is it that you want to accomplish? Whichever path you choose, we’d love to help you along the way. Take advantage of our CompTIA A+ and Network+ training.

Last edited:

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I didn't get this one. It was a support position at Google. Would've had to move to Cali or Michigan.

I ended up staying in NYC and getting in at a online retailer. I'm a week into it now. Great benefits and 10k more than my last job. It's really chill and laid back. Plus, they have money, so I can implement things properly.

But support isn't as lucrative as any other field in tech. Even though I just started, I've been planning projects for myself, so that I can use the little coding/scripting skills that I have. I'm pretty much plotting resume improvement projects.

It's a great job. But for me: it would've been great 18 months ago.
make sure you keep in touch with that google recruiter too

my boy got hired at google after failing an interview but he got another interview months later by basically keeping in contact with the recruiter

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
make sure you keep in touch with that google recruiter too

my boy got hired at google after failing an interview but he got another interview months later by basically keeping in contact with the recruiter
I really do like my current job, I think I'm just still feeling the effects of getting fired from my last one.

Also, how do I keep in touch? My resume is good. My interview skills are pretty good (most of the time), but I don't understand how to network.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
If that's how you feel, start with Network+ than do Security+. Here are a couple of CBT Nuggets debating where you should start with A+ or Network+:

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/2016/01/ask-a-trainer-comptia-a-or-network/
Thanks breh, what do you think of CCNA? Someone posted a ccna udemy course that was an intro to cyber security. I bought it and been tinkering a bit with a VM that runs on Linux.
Edit:
Yeah I agree A+ the foundation. I def have read some and will continue. I want to skip help desk though.

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Finally prepping to take Net+. Planning to test in mid-March.
Got the basic understanding of TCP/IP vs OSI.

Does anyone have consolidated notes for Net+? I'm reading through the book but this MF long :damn:!!!
At least it's an entertaining read, not dry at all :yeshrug:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Bros where can I get a free copy of this book

Pls I'd appreciate it

A+ Guide to IT Technical Support (9th Edition) ISBN: 9781305266438 - Author: Jean Andrews

Click on 1 of the links in the "mirrors" section.

@Malkoonxxx_23 You do realize that book is for use in a classroom setting?

This is the proper recommend A+ book for self-study:

Library Genesis: Mike Meyers - CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Ninth Edition

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Decided to change out of my Cybersecurity major and into Health Information Technology. I’m on Udemy tryna see what courses can give me an idea in that field. Any suggestions?