IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You need to get out of doing desktop support period. Look for a new job. If you don't get any hits, cert up.

Yea I think thats the move. I dropped out of the Master's program (didnt take any classes) and went with the bootcamp (AWS).

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop dropping 2K on bootcamps, all the information is on youtube, blogs etc. etc. The only thing you should pay for is those practice exam webs.

I hear you but speaking for myself, I feel like I thrive in a classroom setting as opposed to my house. I don't have the discipline to sit in my house and knock out videos in 8 hour spurts. Add the fact that it will be with a training partner of AWS, who I can ask questions to, a classroom where there may be other connects in the local IT community and will be complete in 3 days...I think the non-discipline tax is worth it.:yeshrug:

Good looking out on that ISC information too. I think that will be a first for the 2nd half of my year.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I just saw a dude post this in TLR:

I feel like a A+ is kinda irrelevant doing helpdesk. imo, here is some direct information and skills you need so you want be wasting your time learning

1.Try and find out what ticketing system the company uses, ServiceNow, Remedy, etc. try to familiarize with the system, because you will be using that 100% of the time . Find some youtube tutorials or download spiceworks ticketing system to practice

2. learn Office 365 and how to troubleshoot the suite!!! (pluralsight videos )

3. Learn how to
remote desktop, basic active directory, I recommend some win7/ 10 pluralsight videos

4 Practice on your typing speed and
customer service phone skills ( Remember you may be on the phone all day talking )
------------------

Basically man all you will doing is making tickets, escalating tickets and troubleshooting over the phone

Y'all think Breh is on point?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

It depends where you live because I've avoided phone support. You could do the Windows 10 cert instead of A+. A lot of technical interviews I've had had questions about a lot of different things. Like basic networking knowledge, security advice for users, and OS troubleshooting

My experience has been different than a lot of other people in here. My jobs have been Mac heavy. The job I'm at now is Mac only.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

This is my exact thoughts on entry level positions. It may seem like a lot but honestly all the things he mentioned is very easy and repetitive. If you can get a starter job doing that you are blessed lol

Companies stil wanna see the A+ tho :yeshrug: I never took because the material was so dry I just couldn't do it. And this is coming from someone who finds shyt like OSPF and Phase 1&2 of VPN's interesting :dead:

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This is my exact thoughts on entry level positions. It may seem like a lot but honestly all the things he mentioned is very easy and repetitive. If you can get a starter job doing that you are blessed lol

Companies stil wanna see the A+ tho :yeshrug: I never took because the material was so dry I just couldn't do it. And this is coming from someone who finds shyt like OSPF and Phase 1&2 of VPN's interesting :dead:

I found that shyt dry to and did bother with A+also , and then that shyt expire every 3 years I was like fukk you. but yeah some Companies want see it tho. the thing is most companies use their warranty to repair desktops, laptops and portables
I say if you don't have any experience the A+ maybe right for you

OSPF means Open shortest path first ? , I think I still remember some of that network cert shyt I studied :francis: