IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
IT brehs..

Already have a Bachelor's in IT.....had a few certs....let them expire..5 years experience working....

Should I get more certs or go for a Master's degree (Information Systems and Services)?
What kind of experience do you have? And what kind of jobs are you interested in?
Mostly Desktop Support...I kinda am open to any job (non-CS stuff)...security is big in my area but also networking as well
Which certs did you have? It sounds like you should be pursuing new certs instead. Since Security & Networking is your area, you should consider pursuing CCNA & Security+

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which certs did you have? It sounds like you should be pursuing new certs instead. Since Security & Networking is your area, you should consider pursuing CCNA & Security+

I already had CCNA and Security+ which expired but I did just reup on CCENT about a week ago. I did just hop in my local community college course for CCNA Security so hopefully I have that cert by June. I figure I will study for Security+ at the same time since I was once familiar with the material and it is close to what I am doing in the CC anyway. I guess Im wondering if the Master's is overkill since I have only been in IT for like 5 years.

Check this out tho...since I can get the Masters at like 3-4k a semester...would it make sense to push that back and hit a bootcamp (probably an AWS cert) for like 2k? I think its less about doing the studying etc and more for getting bang for my buck.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I already had CCNA and Security+ which expired but I did just reup on CCENT about a week ago. I did just hop in my local community college course for CCNA Security so hopefully I have that cert by June. I figure I will study for Security+ at the same time since I was once familiar with the material and it is close to what I am doing in the CC anyway. I guess Im wondering if the Master's is overkill since I have only been in IT for like 5 years.

Check this out tho...since I can get the Masters at like 3-4k a semester...would it make sense to push that back and hit a bootcamp (probably an AWS cert) for like 2k? I think its less about doing the studying etc and more for getting bang for my buck.
I'm not @bdizzle, but since I've read this entire thread, I'd now what he'd say....Since Security & Networking is your area AND you're currently in school for CCNA Security after you get your CCNA Security cert in June, start working on CCNP Security cert. After CCNP Security cert, go all the way for CCIE Security cert.

Since you already have 5 years experience in IT, forget about the Security+ cert. Go for the CISSP cert instead.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not @bdizzle, but since I've read this entire thread, I'd now what he'd say....Since Security & Networking is your area AND you're currently in school for CCNA Security after you get your CCNA Security cert in June, start working on CCNP Security cert. After CCNP Security cert, go all the way for CCIE Security cert.

Since you already have 5 years experience in IT, forget about the Security+ cert. Go for the CISSP cert instead.

Only thing with the CISSP is that I dont have the 5 year security experience. Ive been working just desktop support, so thats why I said Security +.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I signed up for Coursera to check out that course.

It's well made. I started from the beginning, but I'm more interested in the automation section.

I went through the first course and got to week 2. After seeing that the assignment was to assemble a PC, I just skipped to the automation course. Just like you its the only course that i'm interested in.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Only thing with the CISSP is that I dont have the 5 year security experience. Ive been working just desktop support, so thats why I said Security +.

According to @bdizzle, you just need to have experience in 2 of the domains the CISSP. The domains are:

(ISC)²'s CISSP Exam covers 8 domains in 2018 which are:
  • Security and Risk Management.
  • Asset Security.
  • Security Engineering.
  • Communications & Network Security.
  • Identity & Access Management.
  • Security Assessment & Testing.
  • Security Operations.
  • Software Development Security.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps

Go for the Associate of (ISC^2) - Path to Entry Level Cybersecurity Certification | Associate of (ISC)² , I have both for the cloud and network security...It will help, right after I passed the CCSP, put it on my resume and had a reply from a recruiter that morning. Going through the process now, hopefully I get hired by that company. I personally don't like settling. Imma go for the hardest and highest paid.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Please explain this, what videos do I look up? What exams? And how do I get people to take me serious if I don't have a degree to get a job?

Stop dropping 2K on bootcamps, all the information is on youtube, blogs etc. etc. The only thing you should pay for is those practice exam webs.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Please explain this, what videos do I look up? What exams? And how do I get people to take me serious if I don't have a degree to get a job?

Well, I can't really help with the bolded portion. I specifically want to do Cloud Network/Security but I don't have any experience but I do work on the different parts of the Network with an Engineering degree

Example, when I took the AWS-CSA, I paid about 30 bucks on a cloud guru/30 bucks for a Udemy Course and about 15 bucks for AWS practice exam...I passed the exam.

1) acloud
2) Udemy
3) whizlab

That's all I needed. A $2K boot camp is a huge waste of money.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Well u got some type of experience and a degree. I ain't got shyt. I don't even know half of the stuff that I just read lol.

Well, I can't really help with the bolded portion. I specifically want to do Cloud Network/Security but I don't have any experience but I do work on the different parts of the Network with an Engineering degree

Example, when I took the AWS-CSA, I paid about 30 bucks on a cloud guru/30 bucks for a Udemy Course and about 15 bucks for AWS practice exam...I passed the exam.

1) acloud
2) Udemy
3) whizlab

That's all I needed. A $2K boot camp is a huge waste of money.