IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
What have read/heard that made you have that thought process?

1. My experience since being in IT.
2. This thread.

A Linux admin will have an easier transition into SRE (Cloud) & Pen Testing.

A Windows admin can get both roles too if they put the work in. However, there are more Windows admin in general. Which means more competition. Which means companies will 'want' more XP. Which will make it more difficult to find your first job.

Tl;Dr Get the RHCSA so you can skip help desk and get a Jr sys admin role.

Sidebar: my lil bro did it. That's how I know it's possible.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Officially Cloud Security Certified :wow: Within the last 6 months (CISSP, AWS, CCSP)....with my strong Network background, it would be a joke for me to be staying on the sidelines looking in. I need to leave my current position ASAP :hhh:.

Next Up...about to buy these Kubernetes course on Udemy and know it like the back of my hand. Gonna load up skillset and knowledge until I get the position I desire.

BVII

Pro
Daps
I just moved to a new city for a job, the job is straight but so far I'm not really feeling the city. I really just wanted the experience and I don't plan on being here by next year. If I started applying to jobs again by August/September, would that be too early?

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
No, I don't have it. My first cert was Sec+. If I knew what I know now. RHCSA would have been my first.
Ain't no Linux jobs where I live. How does one apply for a RHCSA job that's in another state, when you don't know a damn person to use their address? I'm using indeed. I'm guessing you know better sites?

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Would you recommend someone with no IT background getting a RHCSA first?

Yes. The avg 6fig person is self-taught to an extent. Either you can learn how to do it now. While at ur current job, or you can do it while you work help desk for a few yrs. It's up to u.

$Skill = "Linux, Coding, SQL, Windows, Networking, Infosec"

You can eat off any $Skill if you're at the top of your field.

Just pick something and learn it.

I don't ask ppl if it is possible. I Show them.

@Rose Gold what state are you in?

Edit

South Carolina breh

Search for Linux. I see 55 listings in ya city.

Pick a skill that is in demand near you, or move to a city that has more jobs.

Last edited:

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
Bros where can I get a free copy of this book

Pls I'd appreciate it

A+ Guide to IT Technical Support (9th Edition) ISBN: 9781305266438 - Author: Jean Andrews

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Yes. The avg 6fig person is self-taught to an extent. Either you can learn how to do it now. While at ur current job, or you can do it while you work help desk for a few yrs. It's up to u.

$Skill = "Linux, Coding, SQL, Windows, Networking, Infosec"

You can eat off any $Skill if you're at the top of your field.

Just pick something and learn it.

I don't ask ppl if it is possible. I Show them.

@Rose Gold what state are you in?
South Carolina breh

Lord Bison

Superstar
Daps
:huhldup: Yeah folks on the Techexams forums are saying the current Network+ is harder than CCENT/CCNA.

Glad that the CCNA is a more valued cert than the network plus. Thank god I made the right choice and sticking with it. Been on and off with my CCNA studies for about a year now. Grinding right now to hopefully be certed up by March/April