IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I for sure thought it was going to be Columbia lol but are there no IT jobs in Simpsonville??
Just got into this IT thing. Czr saying you can skip help desk if you get a red hat cert or these other two he mentioned. He recommended the red hat one the most because it's less popular. I don't see no Linux jobs in my area. I've just been reading up on A+ lately today. Gotta start somewhere. I'm open to any suggestions by any brehs. I'm just trying to make this bread and be able to my brehs on game too.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Have any of you guys ever implemented a custom imaging or management solution for Macs?

I'm looking into it for my job and I'm seeing stuff about Ansible and Saltstack. I don't know how to use any of that, but I'd love to learn. The only problem is that if it breaks I'd have to deal with it. And if it really messes up then that's an organizational wide mess with my name attached to it.

But if I just get them to buy something (Jamf Pro) then I could call tech support when there's an issue. The first option would look great on my resume, if it worked out.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Just got into this IT thing. Czr saying you can skip help desk if you get a red hat cert or these other two he mentioned. He recommended the red hat one the most because it's less popular. I don't see no Linux jobs in my area. I've just been reading up on A+ lately today. Gotta start somewhere. I'm open to any suggestions by any brehs. I'm just trying to make this bread and be able to my brehs on game too.
I feel you I started out in IT a year ago(Goy my first IT job working with different ISP's and assisted living facilities all over the country making not even what I should be getting paid for a starter IT job :martin::aicmon:) and started studying the A+(although it was the 801-802 version but I got 901 902 study guides I'm studying) book but I'm not particular ready just yet I think its a confidence thing but I'm not trying to take the test numerous times over but this thread has been helpful in where to start at for an IT career I will say

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I feel you I started out in IT a year ago(Goy my first IT job working with different ISP's and assisted living facilities all over the country making not even what I should be getting paid for a starter IT job :martin::aicmon:) and started studying the A+(although it was the 801-802 version but I got 901 902 study guides I'm studying) book but I'm not particular ready just yet I think its a confidence thing but I'm not trying to take the test numerous times over but this thread has been helpful in where to start at for an IT career I will say
Keep studying breh. This is a good playlist on A+.
Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-901 A+ Certification Training Course - YouTube
Their's even CompTIA A+ mobile apps to use as digital flash cards on the go. Just cop the highest rated one with most reviews.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Rare, the basics will not change much, but the specifics cahnges so much its hard to say if you will use it a certain percentage.
Main thing to adjust is your customer service skills, dealing with people and manipulate them to tell you what you actually need to know, politely, is the real skill of the help desk more so than your hard technical skill
Thanks

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
Yes. The avg 6fig person is self-taught to an extent. Either you can learn how to do it now. While at ur current job, or you can do it while you work help desk for a few yrs. It's up to u.

$Skill = "Linux, Coding, SQL, Windows, Networking, Infosec"

You can eat off any $Skill if you're at the top of your field.

Just pick something and learn it.

I don't ask ppl if it is possible. I Show them.
can you recommend any books to study for the RHCSA?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Got hired for my first tech position. Level 1 tech :D. I have no certs or experience either :jawalrus:.
Also I'm going to be the only black guy in the tech team of 15 people :wow:

Is this how the road to success starts :ahh:
How did you get it? What's the position called?

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I need a easier way to convert Hex to Decimal to IP.

I want to convert

4b67

Please help. I need to learn this and subnetting today.

The Minister Of Culture

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
help brehs

I have A+ and N+ and im working on Sec+ but most of the jobs im seeing im not even qualified for the experience even though I have the certs where do I go next?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
help brehs

I have A+ and N+ and im working on Sec+ but most of the jobs im seeing im not even qualified for the experience even though I have the certs where do I go next?
Have you been applying to them or are you shying away because of the job description? If you haven't been applying then apply to them anyway.