IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

All Star
Daps
Hey I am about to bang out the rest of this Mike Meyers book and take the A+ test and pass most likely. What cert should I get next?

I have no experience at all in any professional setting, so what Cert would be the best for me?

Traditionally, I'd say CCENT or Net+, but exams are starting to require hands-on experience, now.

I would say get some experience with that A+.

Then look up job listings for your desired career path to see what their requirements are. Lab up as needed, or see if you can finesse some related projects from your employer.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Yalll ever read back through this thread and see the progress you have made? :wow:

shyts surreal at times

Hell yeah. I remember when I would tell them i was an american citizen and not h1b and wouldnt get a reply back :wow: now fortune 500s are coming to me with their hands out

I really didn't know shyt back then either. I still don't, but now I know what I need to do.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I have Sec+ CASP and my CCNA RS is expering in may, I am trying to decide where to go next. I know CISSP is the top dog, but not ready for that yet. My thoughts were renew my CCNA with CCNA sec, CEH, SSCP or eJPT, I was confused on whether CEH or SSCP is worth it if I already have CASP, there are so many certs and I am not trying to get another cert that is equivilant to what I already have. any help would be appreciated

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Im gonna skip A+ and go into Security+

What is the average salary you start with security+?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I know everyone here has their mind set on working for a man and getting that rat race 9-to-5 thing going. But has anyone here ever considered trying to make money independently? I'm thinking about it. Those freelance websites are difficult since you're competing against coders from 3rd world countries. And that iphone/windows app stores are oversaturated to all hell. Think I missed the boat on that gold mine.

Well the thing for me is that I don't mind working for someone else while I put the money generated from that into asset classes that generate money on their own. Going the independent route still means you have to put a lot of time in to get paid, even if you're your own boss. I heard it put well in a book I read; owning a small business means you own a job - if you stop working you stop making money. So I guess to answer your question, nah freelancing isn't for me.
Co-sign this. I have no interest in owning a business, if I'm going to also be running it. I'd rather just be an investor.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Traditionally, I'd say CCENT or Net+, but exams are starting to require hands-on experience, now.

I would say get some experience with that A+.

Then look up job listings for your desired career path to see what their requirements are. Lab up as needed, or see if you can finesse some related projects from your employer.

What do you mean exams are starting to require hands on- experience? You telling me I need to already have a job and some experience within the field just to take the test or can I just buy some equipment and download software I have at home to get that experience?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
just signed up for the udemy comptia A+ 901 & 902

who else taking the mike meyers course?
:mjpls:

What exactly are you trying to do?

And has anyone in this thread actually gotten a Job after getting their A+ in the last 2-3 years?

Unless you arent that Computer Savy, to me it seems better to focus on some of the intermediate certs out there.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

And has anyone in this thread actually gotten a Job after getting their A+ in the last 2-3 years?

Unless you arent that Computer Savy, to me it seems better to focus on some of the intermediate certs out there.
I've been reading through this entire thread the last few months & there's been at least 2 posters in this thread off the top of my head who got entry-level IT jobs with just the A+ cert in the last year. Also A+ is 1 of the IT certs that comes back with the most results if you do an Indeed search.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I've been reading through this entire thread the last few months & there's been at least 2 posters in this thread off the top of my head who got entry-level IT jobs with just the A+ cert in the last year. Also A+ is 1 of the IT certs that comes back with the most results if you do an Indeed search.

I guess because I'm not on the Infrastructure side I don't think much of it.

Too me getting a Red Hat or MS Server Cert + an AWS or Azure cert would accomplish more. When I hear A+ I just think of people who are learning about Computers for the first time and minimum wage help desk roles. Everyone has to start somewhere though. Unless you already got a job and are looking to change fields, I`d rather just work for the Geek Squad and get the certs I mentioned than spend time on the A+.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps

I got my A+ in 2015, and it helped me get a systems analyst job. In retrospect id have gone with CCNA and MCSA instead of A+/N+ though.

All Star
Daps
What do you mean exams are starting to require hands on- experience? You telling me I need to already have a job and some experience within the field just to take the test or can I just buy some equipment and download software I have at home to get that experience?

Yeah, labs will work.

The best way that I can explain it is, there were exams out there that didn't even require hands-on experience. Devalued some otherwise valuable certs... Well, they've changed that.

Idk about the A+ in 2018, but for the rest...

They're weeding out folks without experience. Put time in setting shyt up, breaking them, and fixing them.

All Star
Daps

Never got a callback until I got my A+ a few years ago.

Regardless, you either need a degree, internships, or a cert most of the time.