IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Finally found a definition that explained the difference between a IT Engineer & Architect:

Network Architect

Network Architects plan and design computer networks.

computer-network-architect-training.jpg

Not to be confused with Network Administrators who manage and support the network, or Network Engineers who build and repair it, Network Architects are responsible for the planning and design of data and communications networks. The responsibilities of these roles will overlap in some organizations, especially in startups and SMBs, however most enterprises and government agencies employ specialized professionals (or teams of professionals) in each position.

In addition to hard technical skills, network architects need to understand the company’s business needs in order to design an efficient, secure and scalable network that aligns with strategic goals. With a firm grasp on the business issues, the network architect can begin to craft the network blueprint, carefully considering aspects like which hardware, software and cable infrastructure will be best suited to the project at hand. A high-level position, most network architect jobs require 5 - 10 years of relevant experience, strong business acumen, and at least a bachelor’s degree in computer networking or a related field of study.

Looks like you can add IT Architect to your title/resume.

Engineer titles = people who build
Architect titles = people who plan and design.

Architects have technical knowledge but dont do the actual work. They are usually a level higher than Engineers and they focus at the strategic level of what needs to be done. Engineers do some planing/design but they are usually concern doing it at the project level. Some times Architects may be the managers of Engineers too. What ol boy is doing isn't Architect work if he is the person fixing things.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Finally found a definition that explained the difference between a IT Engineer & Architect:

Network Architect

Network Architects plan and design computer networks.

computer-network-architect-training.jpg

Not to be confused with Network Administrators who manage and support the network, or Network Engineers who build and repair it, Network Architects are responsible for the planning and design of data and communications networks. The responsibilities of these roles will overlap in some organizations, especially in startups and SMBs, however most enterprises and government agencies employ specialized professionals (or teams of professionals) in each position.

In addition to hard technical skills, network architects need to understand the company’s business needs in order to design an efficient, secure and scalable network that aligns with strategic goals. With a firm grasp on the business issues, the network architect can begin to craft the network blueprint, carefully considering aspects like which hardware, software and cable infrastructure will be best suited to the project at hand. A high-level position, most network architect jobs require 5 - 10 years of relevant experience, strong business acumen, and at least a bachelor’s degree in computer networking or a related field of study.

Looks like you can add IT Architect to your title/resume.

Engineer titles = people who build
Architect titles = people who plan and design.

Architects have technical knowledge but dont do the actual work. They are usually a level higher than Engineers and they focus at the strategic level of what needs to be done. Engineers do some planing/design but they are usually concern doing it at the project level. Some times Architects may be the managers of Engineers too. What ol boy is doing isn't Architect work if he is the person fixing things.

What's supposed to be the higher level job, IT Admin or IT Engineer? I was watching this video from a IT hiring manager & I'm kinda not sure anymore:

These two career categories are often confused but have important, discrete meanings that we need to understand as IT Pros or as managers.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
What's supposed to be the higher level job, IT Admin or IT Engineer? I was watching this video from a IT hiring manager & I'm kinda not sure anymore:

Admin and depending on the area Analyst roles are usually entry to mid level (for non technical roles Analyst can be mid to senior), Engineer roles are usually mid to senior level technical roles, and Architect is usually the highest non manager role you can do.

The higher up you go the more you focus on design and strategy versus actually being hands on.

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Hell yea. A security clearance opens up jobs that most people can't get so a lot of times you can up your price. I'm in MD and the security clearance only jobs are everywhere.
in MD as well, this is true with all government jobs in VA & DC. I hear getting that clearance is a very long process (around 6 months), hopefully your job pays for it.

Daps
in MD as well, this is true with all government jobs in VA & DC. I hear getting that clearance is a very long process (around 6 months), hopefully your job pays for it.
Unfortunately it's longer than that now since the Chinese hacked the Office of personnel management(the guys who have all the paperwork for anyone who's ever applied for a clearance. Just for a secret it takes a year minimum now. If it's not too much of a paycut I'd go for it but it depends on the stipulations that go with it. Ex. Maybe they want you to stay for a length of time.

Edit: if you have a clearance you should definitely have your resume on this site. Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs it's how I got my last two jobs.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Yea, if you want to skip help desk. Get the RHCSA instead of Linux+. It holds more weight.

Use this link to study:

RHCE Series: How to Setup and Test Static Network Routing - Part 1

I linked the RHCE on purpose. If you study this; the RHCSA finna be a breeze.
@Czr When I read this post originally, I thought it said "If you want to get out of help desk, get RHCSA". Now i'm realizing that it says actually says "If you want to skip help desk, get RHCSA".

Are you saying the demand for folks who are RHCSA-certified is so high, you can skip Help Desk if you have the RHCSA?

Last edited:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
@Czr When I read this post originally, I thought it said "If you want to get out of help desk, get RHCSA". Now i'm realizing that it says actually says "If you want to skiip help desk, get RHCSA".

The demand for folks who are RHCSA-certified is so high, you can skip Help Desk you have the RHCSA?

The demand for knowledge is so high that you can skip help desk. This applies to every discipline within IT. You can skip help desk with a MCSA, CCNA, RHCSA, or Coding skills. At that point, I would pick the skill that is not as popular (Linux or Coding). Because that means less ppl know it. Which makes you more valuable.

Your resume must reflect the job you want. You could have all three certs, but if ur resume is created with help desk positions in mind. Those are the type of jobs you will get.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Is gaining security clearance with a contractor worth taking a slight pay cut where I'm a direct hire? :patrice:
I have to disagree with the brother who said no.
If you want to get in the government contracting game, you take the hit on the initial Secret clearance, after that you will find a nice floor in the 50 - 60k range for IT work, just off the clearance and having one when there is a huge backlog to get them.

You top that off if you can get a TS, I have a interim now, once I get that full TS, You are looking at the 90 100k range again because of the backlog and the need for TS clearance , especially in the DC area.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Hey I am about to bang out the rest of this Mike Meyers book and take the A+ test and pass most likely. What cert should I get next?

I have no experience at all in any professional setting, so what Cert would be the best for me?