IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Yeah, labs will work.

The best way that I can explain it is, there were exams out there that didn't even require hands-on experience. Devalued some otherwise valuable certs... Well, they've changed that.

Idk about the A+ in 2018, but for the rest...

They're weeding out folks without experience. Put time in setting shyt up, breaking them, and fixing them.
Which exams were those that didn't require labing or hand-off experience, but now do?

All Star
Daps
Which exams were those that didn't require labing or hand-off experience, but now do?

I've always heard there were some MCSA's with Server 2003, that passed without even touching a Server.

You can't do that, now.

I also know Net+ has a higher fail rate than it used to.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Yeah, labs will work.

The best way that I can explain it is, there were exams out there that didn't even require hands-on experience. Devalued some otherwise valuable certs... Well, they've changed that.

Idk about the A+ in 2018, but for the rest...

They're weeding out folks without experience. Put time in setting shyt up, breaking them, and fixing them.

I've always heard there were some MCSA's with Server 2003, that passed without even touching a Server.

You can't do that, now.

I also know Net+ has a higher fail rate than it used to.

:huhldup: Yeah folks on the Techexams forums are saying the current Network+ is harder than CCENT/CCNA.

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
What exactly are you trying to do?

And has anyone in this thread actually gotten a Job after getting their A+ in the last 2-3 years?

Unless you arent that Computer Savy, to me it seems better to focus on some of the intermediate certs out there.

I already have some experience at my previous job I been at the last year & a half without any certs. I was mostly helping with computers since the office was full of older folks. And my old boss said he'll season my resume to make it look better so I figured I would need the A+ if I want to go further. What are some of the intermediate certs that you've had success with?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I was doing some admin work and some tech work. Basically in between a desktop support guy and a sysadmin. I troubleshooted everything from apps to security stuff.

Systems Analyst roles can vary by company. In most cases I see them it is a Business Analyst that gets hands on with technical stuff or mainly focuses on technical requirements and solutioning

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I already have some experience at my previous job I been at the last year & a half without any certs. I was mostly helping with computers since the office was full of older folks. And my old boss said he'll season my resume to make it look better so I figured I would need the A+ if I want to go further. What are some of the intermediate certs that you've had success with?

Just to preface I’m on the Development side of IT.

From what I have seen during my career A+ was the type of cert you get as a HS senior before going to a place like Devry and getting some real certs.

In this day and age if you know about computers (meaning you can put a computer together) you can just make up a ton of freelance/volunteer work on your resume and focus on networking, security, and/or linux/MS Server type certs.

Thats just my two cents though. Having problem solving skills trumps all.

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Just to preface I’m on the Development side of IT.

From what I have seen during my career A+ was the type of cert you get as a HS senior before going to a place like Devry and getting some real certs.

In this day and age if you know about computers (meaning you can put a computer together) you can just make up a ton of freelance/volunteer work on your resume and focus on networking, security, and/or linux/MS Server type certs.

Thats just my two cents though. Having problem solving skills trumps all.

No doubt Im not looking at A+ as the end all be all or anything. Its really just to get me in the door because my previous job was more of a hook up that morphed into me being the "computer guy". I wouldn't have gotten that job anywhere else & my major isn't in the IT field.

I've looked into networking but I haven't looked into linux, MS servers or securities yet. Where should I start my research for securities & MS?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
No doubt Im not looking at A+ as the end all be all or anything. Its really just to get me in the door because my previous job was more of a hook up that morphed into me being the "computer guy". I wouldn't have gotten that job anywhere else & my major isn't in the IT field.

I've looked into networking but I haven't looked into linux, MS servers or securities yet. Where should I start my research for securities & MS?

Look at MTA certs which are the entry level microsoft certs if you dont have a foundation of knowledge then move into the MCSA level certs.

If you dont want to do Microsoft then you can look at going the Linuix route with certs such as the Red Hat certified Admin.

For security I believe Security + is like an entry level one that actually is good for your resume.

I cant think of the entry level Networking certs off top (i know some i just cant remember what is entry level and what isnt).

If you can get that foundation you should be able to make a strong case for a junior sys admin job. Once you do that then look into Azure or AWS certs and learn a scripting language (python preferred) and then you can make some decent cake and move into more devops type roles.

Another thing I dont see people mentioning on here is product certifications for things like Salesforce.

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Look at MTA certs which are the entry level microsoft certs if you dont have a foundation of knowledge then move into the MCSA level certs.

If you dont want to do Microsoft then you can look at going the Linuix route with certs such as the Red Hat certified Admin.

For security I believe Security + is like an entry level one that actually is good for your resume.

I cant think of the entry level Networking certs off top (i know some i just cant remember what is entry level and what isnt).

If you can get that foundation you should be able to make a strong case for a junior sys admin job. Once you do that then look into Azure or AWS certs and learn a scripting language (python preferred) and then you can make some decent cake and move into more devops type roles.

Another thing I dont see people mentioning on here is product certifications for things like Salesforce.

Thanks breh I'll definitely be looking more into all these & see where I'd be of best use

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Thanks breh I'll definitely be looking more into all these & see where I'd be of best use

Like I said unless you dont know jack ish about computers I wouldnt spend time on the A+. Im not gonna say its useless as other dudes have had luck, but the A+ definately isnt seen how it used to be looked at in say 2005 and back.

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Like I said unless you dont know jack ish about computers I wouldnt spend time on the A+. Im not gonna say its useless as other dudes have had luck, but the A+ definately isnt seen how it used to be looked at in say 2005 and back.

I know im really doing this to get the base knowledge. Like I knew enough about computers to help the 50+ year olds at my office trouble shoot basic things with printers, computers freezing & the WiFi. It was an insurance company so I just became the computer guy over time because I was the youngest breh there. So compared to the other ppl there I was knowledgeable & technically I have enough experience. But im just getting it because I know it won't take me long to learn, not expensive & it'll give me a baseline credential since I'm in school for business management. I'm not fully comfortable yet with my knowledge of computers to jump in without this base so I'm just going in like I don't know anything.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I know im really doing this to get the base knowledge. Like I knew enough about computers to help the 50+ year olds at my office trouble shoot basic things with printers, computers freezing & the WiFi. It was an insurance company so I just became the computer guy over time because I was the youngest breh there. So compared to the other ppl there I was knowledgeable & technically I have enough experience. But im just getting it because I know it won't take me long to learn, not expensive & it'll give me a baseline credential since I'm in school for business management. I'm not fully comfortable yet with my knowledge of computers to jump in without this base so I'm just going in like I don't know anything.

If help desk is what you are trying to do you dont even need to know much about computers because typically you will just ask questions and search a knowledge base for troubleshooting tips lol.

If you are trying to be a sys admin then the stuff I brought is what you need to know.

The question is what is your end goal.