IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I accepted a job offer last week.

The title is help desk, but it's more than that. It's a start up and I'm the only support person. They're 100% Mac (and don't have any management or admin software).

I start on the 16th.

I'm expecting a healthy amount of work.

They're a few years old. There's 150 people now and growing each week.

There's nothing to track their IT inventory and like I said before no IT admin tools. And no setup to image new machines. I'm in charge of it all.

It's more money than I was making before. And there's unlimited PTO. I've been unemployed since May, but I've been in a coding bootcamp since September. I'm kinda trash at coding though.

My plan is to give this place (around) a year. During this time, I'll learn Linux and continue practicing Ruby (or some other languages). They mentioned that the 1 ops guy might need help. He was one of the people that interviewed me.

If I'm getting significant ops experience, I'll stay. But if not...

Edit: They said they get about 5 help desk tickets a day
Sounds like you're being hired to be an IT Admin & Engineer.

Finally found a definition that explained the difference between a IT Engineer & Architect:

Network Architect

Network Architects plan and design computer networks.

computer-network-architect-training.jpg

Not to be confused with Network Administrators who manage and support the network, or Network Engineers who build and repair it, Network Architects are responsible for the planning and design of data and communications networks. The responsibilities of these roles will overlap in some organizations, especially in startups and SMBs, however most enterprises and government agencies employ specialized professionals (or teams of professionals) in each position.

In addition to hard technical skills, network architects need to understand the company’s business needs in order to design an efficient, secure and scalable network that aligns with strategic goals. With a firm grasp on the business issues, the network architect can begin to craft the network blueprint, carefully considering aspects like which hardware, software and cable infrastructure will be best suited to the project at hand. A high-level position, most network architect jobs require 5 - 10 years of relevant experience, strong business acumen, and at least a bachelor’s degree in computer networking or a related field of study.

Looks like you can add IT Architect to your title/resume.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Congrats and good luck. The one great thing about places like this is that since there is nothing establish you pretty much have the freedom to create the infrastructure and learn along the way. Down side is that you will be overworked unfortunately. Are there any other IT people within the company?
Thanks! There aren't any other IT people, which can be good and bad.

The company seems to have money, so I'm hoping they'll let me buy popular tools and software to get things managed. As I learn them they'll go on my resume.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Finally found a definition that explained the difference between a IT Engineer & Architect:

Network Architect

Network Architects plan and design computer networks.

computer-network-architect-training.jpg

Not to be confused with Network Administrators who manage and support the network, or Network Engineers who build and repair it, Network Architects are responsible for the planning and design of data and communications networks. The responsibilities of these roles will overlap in some organizations, especially in startups and SMBs, however most enterprises and government agencies employ specialized professionals (or teams of professionals) in each position.

In addition to hard technical skills, network architects need to understand the company’s business needs in order to design an efficient, secure and scalable network that aligns with strategic goals. With a firm grasp on the business issues, the network architect can begin to craft the network blueprint, carefully considering aspects like which hardware, software and cable infrastructure will be best suited to the project at hand. A high-level position, most network architect jobs require 5 - 10 years of relevant experience, strong business acumen, and at least a bachelor’s degree in computer networking or a related field of study.

Looks like you can add IT Architect to your title/resume.

Y'all are out of pocket :dead:

Architects are typically top level experts and you will absolutely get caught in this sort of lie in a technical interview or on the first day of the job, unless you are ready to be an architect.
Yeah, I've met an architect before. I'm nowhere near that level. Like I ain't even on the same board. The amount of IT\coding\whatever shyt this dude knew off the top of his head was insane.

Like I applied to a Junior Systems Engineer position last month and didn't get it.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Y'all are out of pocket :dead:

Architects are typically top level experts and you will absolutely get caught in this sort of lie in a technical interview or on the first day of the job, unless you are ready to be an architect.
:laff:

As soon as I see the word architect in a job title I hit the :whoa: and close that shyt out

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
I was just gonna do 70-533 .. Didn't know about 535.. Gonna look more into it.

Might look into iasa and /or togaf cert also.
Azure is def where it's at brehs...f*ck aws

Also I'm very familiar w togaf and other ea architecture practices (gartner, zachman, dodaf etc) if you want to get into business Arch it's a great path

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Yeah, I've met an architect before. I'm nowhere near that level. Like I ain't even on the same board. The amount of IT\coding\whatever shyt this dude knew off the top of his head was insane.

Like I applied to a Junior Systems Engineer position last month and didn't get it.

On one of my clients, I'm basically a stand in for a security architect... doing his work. Its fukking hard. Great experience to have but you better believe I'm struggling, and I actually know my shyt unlike most of these 12 cert frauds out here :damn:

Last edited:

All Star
Daps
Is gaining security clearance with a contractor worth taking a slight pay cut where I'm a direct hire? :patrice: