IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
@EastCoastNaga Here's a EXCELLENT video that CBT Nuggets put out this past year about why folks new to IT or trying to get into IT should get the A+ Cert depsite some folks like @LordCashmere thinking it's worthless:

Wondering what the big deal is about CompTIA’s A+ certification? It’s just an entry-level cert, right? Think again.

In this webinar, CBT Nuggets trainer Anthony Sequeira (the creator of our A+ training) makes the case for why any IT pro or someone who is considering an IT career, should earn A+ certification.

During an info-packed 30 minutes,

CBT Nuggets A+ trainer Anthony Sequeira discussed why the A+ certification is important, how it can boost your IT career, and the possible career options after getting certified.

Here’s a quick guide:

Doesn’t A+ just teach you how to build a PC? (Hint: No!) 0:45

What can I do with my A+? – 1:10

What if I need to learn virtualization? Where should I start? (Hint: A+) – 1:45

What about a server career track? (Hint: A+) – 2:30

What about security? How do I start my IT security career? (Hint: A+) – 3:03

What about DevOps and cloud-based computing? (Hint: A+) – 3:45

What about if I want a career in collaboration technologies? (Hint: A+) – 4:05

How do the CompTIA A+ exams cover so much material? – 4:30

Overview of the CompTIA A+ 220-901 certification – 7:19

• SSD
  • RAID
  • Storage virtualization
  • TCP/IP
  • Blade servers
  • WiFi
  • Mobile devices
  • Troubleshooting
Overview of the CompTIA A+ 220-902 certification – 16:30

• Windows
  • Mac OS
  • Linux
  • Virtualization
  • Cloud
  • Security
  • Troubleshooting
  • Environmental controls
  • Proper controls
Why use CBT Nuggets training for A+? – 21:52

If you want to drill down more on CompTIA’s A+ certification, here are some posts we think you might be interested in reading:

Everything You Need to Know About CompTIA’s A+ Cert
4 Surefire Ways to Boost your CompTIA A+ Mastery

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Been lurking this thread for years. Just got my first IT gig. Service Desk at a very large company, and luckily I won't have to answer any calls. $23/hour

Good looking out to everybody dropping gems in here :salute:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
How you get that job? And no calls? Lucky as shyt!

Been lurking this thread for years. Just got my first IT gig. Service Desk at a very large company, and luckily I won't have to answer any calls. $23/hour

Good looking out to everybody dropping gems in here :salute:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Im reading this thread and in lost af, I know A+ is the starting cert, but I heard it's worth it and it's not worth it, then I'm lost on what comes after the A+ and what continues after that.

I'm wondering if I should get the A+ now, I just want to get started with this IT shyt.

Is there some guideline somwhere?

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Im reading this thread and in lost af, I know A+ is the starting cert, but I heard it's worth it and it's not worth it, then I'm lost on what comes after the A+ and what continues after that.

I'm wondering if I should get the A+ now, I just want to get started with this IT shyt.

Is there some guideline somwhere?
What do you want to do in IT?What interests you?

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
If help desk is what you are trying to do you dont even need to know much about computers because typically you will just ask questions and search a knowledge base for troubleshooting tips lol.

If you are trying to be a sys admin then the stuff I brought is what you need to know.

The question is what is your end goal.

From the limited research i've done so far I would want to be involved with Networks & network securities. Some of the microsoft software interests me im not big on apple. but learning how to build networks is something that i've been interested in for a while i just never seriously looked into it until recently. The bold is what I'll be looking deeper into tonight thanks again

@EastCoastNaga Here's a EXCELLENT video that CBT Nuggets put out this past year about why folks new to IT or trying to get into IT should get the A+ Cert depsite some folks like @LordCashmere thinking it's worthless:

I already paid for it so Ima go through with the A+ because on paper im brand new & my major isn't in the field. I know it'll look better on my resume if I have it with the experience. I was there for regular insurance work it just morphed to me helping everyone when their phones & computers jammed up

thanks for the information & everyone in this thread

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
From the limited research i've done so far I would want to be involved with Networks & network securities. Some of the microsoft software interests me im not big on apple. but learning how to build networks is something that i've been interested in for a while i just never seriously looked into it until recently. The bold is what I'll be looking deeper into tonight thanks again

I already paid for it so Ima go through with the A+ because on paper im brand new & my major isn't in the field. I know it'll look better on my resume if I have it with the experience. I was there for regular insurance work it just morphed to me helping everyone when their phones & computers jammed up

thanks for the information & everyone in this thread

Im telling you breh make up
Some volunteer experience like 2 years worth to beef up your resume lol. Like you managed IT services for your church.

Of course you should still do hands on labs and stuff to get experience so you can speak to what you say you can do.

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
How you get that job? And no calls? Lucky as shyt!

Yeah I'll be managing user accounts and granting application access. Don't have my degree yet, but I'm only about 30 credits away. Started going part time this semester so I could job hunt. I actually do have a cert (MTA) but it's not even on my resume so it didn't help. I think location matters. I heard Chicago is a pretty good market for entry level IT. I know other people doing help desk without degrees and they're all getting $17-$20/hour.

I did embellish my resume a bit tho. :lolbron:Not gonna lie. Nothing on there that I can't do tho.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I gotta finesse my way somehow, I gotta do it! U going to school for an it degree? Or com sci?

Yeah I'll be managing user accounts and granting application access. Don't have my degree yet, but I'm only about 30 credits away. Started going part time this semester so I could job hunt. I actually do have a cert (MTA) but it's not even on my resume so it didn't help. I think location matters. I heard Chicago is a pretty good market for entry level IT. I know other people doing help desk without degrees and they're all getting $17-$20/hour.

I did embellish my resume a bit tho. :lolbron:Not gonna lie. Nothing on there that I can't do tho.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
To be honest I never thought about IT until months ago because this site talks about a lot and it seems that you can start off well.

I like computers, but I never took one apart and built it back up or anything like that, the money seems good, and techs the future.

What do you want to do in IT?What interests you?

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Been researching online for IT jobs lately, and these simple Help Desk jobs asking for way too much qualifications and experience :/

Balla

Superstar
Daps
That's what I'm saying, how you want 5 yrs exp and require an A+ ? Lmfao

Been researching online for IT jobs lately, and these simple Help Desk jobs asking for way too much qualifications and experience :/

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Them bytches submitted me way back in November for this damn position :martin: