IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Are there are books for the AWS Cloud Pracfitioner cert? I don’t want the learning videos

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I believe the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert is a new cert that just came out a few months ago. So there's probably limited material to prep for it.
Isn’t it the easiest cert for people new to the AWS ecosystem

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Are there are books for the AWS Cloud Pracfitioner cert? I don’t want the learning videos
I believe the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert is a new cert that just came out a few months ago. So there's probably limited material to prep for it.
Isn’t it the easiest cert for people new to the AWS ecosystem
Yes. You might wanna consider doing CompTIA Cloud+ or Cloud Essentials if you can't find enough material for AWS Cloud Practitioner cert. The AWS Cloud Practitioner cert isn't a prerequisite for the Associate level AWS certs.

Do you have a Network+, MTA Network Fundamentals, or CCENT cert (Or at least learned the material)? Everybody says you gotta have Network knowledge before getting into cloud.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Yes. You might wanna consider doing CompTIA Cloud+ or Cloud Essentials if you can't find enough material for AWS Cloud Practitioner cert. The AWS Cloud Practitioner cert isn't a prerequisite for the Associate level AWS certs.

Do you have a Network+, MTA Network Fundamentals, or CCENT cert (Or at least learned the material)? Everybody says you gotta have Network knowledge before getting into cloud.
I dont have any certs all I have is a degree in IT. I’m looking to get certified in the next month

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I dont have any certs all I have is a degree in IT. I’m looking to get certified in the next month
If you have a degree what's the point in certs? I figured a degree would cover A+, Network, and Security in the least.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I'm tryna get a IT Cert, mostly in something that compliments excel, but i dont know where to start. Help me find my way brehs :feedme:

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I'm tryna get a IT Cert, mostly in something that compliments excel, but i dont know where to start. Help me find my way brehs :feedme:

Here are 2 Microsoft starter certs to consider:

1. MTA Database Fundamentals Cert (Exam 98-364)

2. MTA Cloud Fundamentals Cert (Exam 98-369): https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Cloud_fundamentals; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-98-369.aspx

The Cloud Cert is basically a entry-level Office 365 exam. The MTA exams only cost $50 ($58 with retake option) if you buy your voucher through Certport's website: MTA exam vouchers

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You trying to do QA or whatever you can in IT?

There are companies that will invest in you if you start the legwork yourself. I'm a Senior Network Technician and my company covers half of the courses I take as long as it is within the field of the services we offer. Looking to get my PMP in IT this year.

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm expecting a healthy amount of work.

They're a few years old. There's 150 people now and growing each week.

There's nothing to track their IT inventory and like I said before no IT admin tools. And no setup to image new machines. I'm in charge of it all.

It's more money than I was making before. And there's unlimited PTO. I've been unemployed since May, but I've been in a coding bootcamp since September. I'm kinda trash at coding though.

My plan is to give this place (around) a year. During this time, I'll learn Linux and continue practicing Ruby (or some other languages). They mentioned that the 1 ops guy might need help. He was one of the people that interviewed me.

If I'm getting significant ops experience, I'll stay. But if not...

Edit: They said they get about 5 help desk tickets a day

Look into Solarwinds N-Able for monitoring, tracking, and help desk assistance and Connectwise for ticketing. They tie-in nice together and make you look like a genius. It may be a little overkill for 150 people, but if y'all are growing as fast as you say, its a good option to look into.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I'm expecting a healthy amount of work.

They're a few years old. There's 150 people now and growing each week.

There's nothing to track their IT inventory and like I said before no IT admin tools. And no setup to image new machines. I'm in charge of it all.

It's more money than I was making before. And there's unlimited PTO. I've been unemployed since May, but I've been in a coding bootcamp since September. I'm kinda trash at coding though.

My plan is to give this place (around) a year. During this time, I'll learn Linux and continue practicing Ruby (or some other languages). They mentioned that the 1 ops guy might need help. He was one of the people that interviewed me.

If I'm getting significant ops experience, I'll stay. But if not...

Edit: They said they get about 5 help desk tickets a day

Congrats and good luck. The one great thing about places like this is that since there is nothing establish you pretty much have the freedom to create the infrastructure and learn along the way. Down side is that you will be overworked unfortunately. Are there any other IT people within the company?