IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Drug Screening Now

Giving Notice Tomorrow

New Beginnings on the 15th*
What's going on with your part-time security job?

BTW does anyone know any places that provide job placement after completion of A+ Certs?
You usually have do training at some type of program, bootcamp, or technical school/trade school/community college to get job placement assistance. Does NYC have an equivalent of "Texas Workforce Commission" & "Workforce Solutions" like we do in Texas? If NY does, go to the website & use their services. Also think about using staffing agencies/recruiters.

If you're trying to get into QA, i'm pretty sure getting an A+ cert is waste of time. QA falls under Software Development, so you should be talking to the brehs in this thread: Developer/Programming Information and Careers Thread

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
What's going on with your part-time security job?

You usually have do training at some type of program, bootcamp, or technical school/trade school/community college to get job placement assistance. Does NYC have an equivalent of "Texas Workforce Commission" & "Workforce Solutions" like we do in Texas? If NY does, go to the website & use their services. Also think about using staffing agencies/recruiters.

If you're trying to get into QA, i'm pretty sure getting an A+ cert is waste of time. QA falls under Software Development, so you should be talking to the brehs in this thread: Developer/Programming Information and Careers Thread
I actually live in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm a check there. Thanks bro.

And yeah I knew they covered different things, but I'm trying to get into IT either way just a preference to QA. But I thought it couldn't hurt to learn both just in case the other doesn't work out. Thanks for all the info bro.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
BTW does anyone know any places that provide job placement after completion of A+ Certs?

I actually live in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm a check there. Thanks bro.

And yeah I knew they covered different things, but I'm trying to get into IT either way just a preference to QA. But I thought it couldn't hurt to learn both just in case the other doesn't work out. Thanks for all the info bro.

My bad. I assumed you were from NYC based on your posting history in The Booth. I just looked up that the California equivalent of TWC is The State of California Labor & Workforce Development Agency (LWDA): Labor & Workforce Development Agency

The links under "Workforce Devolpment should interest you.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I accepted a job offer last week.

The title is help desk, but it's more than that. It's a start up and I'm the only support person. They're 100% Mac (and don't have any management or admin software).

I start on the 16th.
How much we gettin paid :birdman:? Jokes aside, congrats. If it's a startup they can't have too many people or technical problems. Sounds like you won't have to work too hard.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
How much we gettin paid :birdman:? Jokes aside, congrats. If it's a startup they can't have too many people or technical problems. Sounds like you won't have to work too hard.

lol couldn't be more wrong. A Start up = everyone being overworked for the hope of the company becoming worth something.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
lol couldn't be more wrong. A Start up = everyone being overworked for the hope of the company becoming worth something.
I understand the workload but I don't think it would necessarily apply to him unless they're tacking on a bunch on non-help desk responsibilities.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I understand the workload but I don't think it would necessarily apply to him unless they're tacking on a bunch on non-help desk responsibilities.

He's the only person in the role. Outside of Developers he is getting handed any and everything technical lol. Now if they have an actual Ops team it may not be that bad but still.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

I'm expecting a healthy amount of work.

They're a few years old. There's 150 people now and growing each week.

There's nothing to track their IT inventory and like I said before no IT admin tools. And no setup to image new machines. I'm in charge of it all.

It's more money than I was making before. And there's unlimited PTO. I've been unemployed since May, but I've been in a coding bootcamp since September. I'm kinda trash at coding though.

My plan is to give this place (around) a year. During this time, I'll learn Linux and continue practicing Ruby (or some other languages). They mentioned that the 1 ops guy might need help. He was one of the people that interviewed me.

If I'm getting significant ops experience, I'll stay. But if not...

Edit: They said they get about 5 help desk tickets a day

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I accepted a job offer last week.

The title is help desk, but it's more than that. It's a start up and I'm the only support person. They're 100% Mac (and don't have any management or admin software).

I start on the 16th.

I'm expecting a healthy amount of work.

They're a few years old. There's 150 people now and growing each week.

There's nothing to track their IT inventory and like I said before no IT admin tools. And no setup to image new machines. I'm in charge of it all.

It's more money than I was making before. And there's unlimited PTO. I've been unemployed since May, but I've been in a coding bootcamp since September. I'm kinda trash at coding though.

My plan is to give this place (around) a year. During this time, I'll learn Linux and continue practicing Ruby (or some other languages). They mentioned that the 1 ops guy might need help. He was one of the people that interviewed me.

If I'm getting significant ops experience, I'll stay. But if not...

Edit: They said they get about 5 help desk tickets a day

Sounds like you're being hired to be an IT Admin & Engineer.