IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Is that really the key? I heard many said to take some other test, but idk.

Did you take it? Was it easy? Where u study?

Thanks

I may be moving next year to a better job market. I'm mostly doing help desk work and I'm already bored with it.

I would get the A+ cert first. I couldn't even get an interview without it.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
What is everyones career goals for 2018?

Im being very picky where i want my next company to be. Im in a good space now where I know imma get a pretty big bag just from the few interviews & offers I have had & turned down in the past couple months.

At my current company shyt has become a breeze so I can basically do my job on autopilot but its not challenging me at all. That's how I know it's time to move on.

Idk if I want to start this CCIE grind or look into really focusing on cloud technologies (AWS mainly).
Well, first job so I've gotta really play it by ear. I've got friends who have made some atomizing moves in a relatively short amount of time. I can't say that I'll be able to do the same to be honest. I have the drive but not the social capacity. I guess I'm targeting being lead on a couple of substantial projects so I can groom myself for a senior role. If I can move upward with this company quickly then that'll determine whether or not I start looking towards the next company sooner rather than later.

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest

my goals are AWS Architect Associate Q1 and Azure Architect possibly Q3, not sure yet.

Pretty much in the same boat as you at work. After getting those 2 certs, I'll be carefully choosing my next challenge. And they better bring the brinks truck :troll:

We getting this money, brehs :salute:

Those two certs exactly but im trying to do both by march. Past year ive been doing a lot of cloud (Azure), SSO and IAM stuff. Going to focus specifically on expanding those skillselt

Ive been getting the calls for jobs but im not ready to go yet. Once i get those 2 certs tho :mjgrin:

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Is that really the key? I heard many said to take some other test, but idk.

Did you take it? Was it easy? Where u study?

Thanks

It wasn't too difficult. I used professor messer and mike meyers videos along with the mike meyers book to study.

The A+ is usually the first certification to get your foot in the door. Unless you know someone willing to give you a chance.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Thanks bro, I was debating because I kept hearing to take some other exam, I think security or something? Amway, I just want to get started in something I can make a career. Also, how long did you study for bro?

It wasn't too difficult. I used professor messer and mike meyers videos along with the mike meyers book to study.

The A+ is usually the first certification to get your foot in the door. Unless you know someone willing to give you a chance.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Those two certs exactly but im trying to do both by march. Past year ive been doing a lot of cloud (Azure), SSO and IAM stuff. Going to focus specifically on expanding those skillselt

Ive been getting the calls for jobs but im not ready to go yet. Once i get those 2 certs tho :mjgrin:

I've been getting the calls too :russ:.

Are you doing all 3 Azure certs or just the Last one, the new 70 535 ?

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
1. I'm hoping to knockdown these 3 certs by the end of the spring semester/May:

A+ cert
MTA Windows Server Administration cert
MTA Cloud cert

2. Get a Help desk/Desktop support job

3. ?????

:jbhmm: I'm not sure which cert I should pursue after I get the 1st job. The knowledge from Network+ seems to be a must have no matter what direction in IT you go & Sec+ is heavily recommended if you're pursuing government jobs. So I'm wondering if I should go Net+/Sec+ or start working on the MCSA.

Last edited:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
To y'all that got your A+ Cert recently, how long before you got a IT job and what field did you work in?

Also how long did you study before you took the exam, and what did you use to study (Youtube videos, books, websites? all three?)

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Im working to get my A+ and windows certs this year coming up along with adding more experience at my current tech job I have now. I really am trying to make double of what I am getting paid now because I know what I'm doing doe not warrant me being paid what I'm paid.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Im working to get my A+ and windows certs this year coming up along with adding more experience at my current tech job I have now. I really am trying to make double of what I am getting paid now because I know what I'm doing doe not warrant me being paid what I'm paid.

What are you doing and what are you making currently?

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
What are you doing and what are you making currently?
I work tech support for different providers across the states as well as assisted living communities(daily activities range from trouble shooting internet issues down to e-mail issues along with cable TV issues and phone issues) and I make $8.50 an hour

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
I work tech support for different providers across the states as well as assisted living communities(daily activities range from trouble shooting internet issues down to e-mail issues along with cable TV issues and phone issues) and I make $8.50 an hour

I started out doing that many years ago. Depending on where you at, get a cert and help desk job and you'll double your pay.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
I started out doing that many years ago. Depending on where you at, get a cert and help desk job and you'll double your pay.
what do you do breh and have you ever had job offer come from any of the providers you serviced??

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Also, brehs what does helpdesk usually entail on a daily basis is it different from desktop support(which is something I would like to do)