IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
:francis: I just did an indeed search for RHCSA in Dallas, TX & only 4 listing came up versus 60 listings when I did a search for MCSA.

You do know that Microsoft, Cisco, & AWS have locations in Dallas right? They use Linux for their cloud solutions.

I just did a search for Linux on indeed in Dallas. 1,400 listings.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:francis: I just did an indeed search for RHCSA in Dallas, TX & only 4 listing came up versus 60 listings when I did a search for MCSA.

You do know that Microsoft, Cisco, & AWS have locations in Dallas right? They use Linux for their cloud solutions.

I just did a search for Linux on indeed in Dallas. 1,400 listings.

:ohhh:Whenever I did Indeed.com searches in the past I always searched by cert or job title. I never thought to search by a Technology & I've never bothered to use the job experience filter before. I can make use of a MTA cert on my resume by searching for jobs this way. Dap+Rep.

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
Brehs I'm currently in college but interested in getting Into cyber security...What is the best route to get into the sector, a college degree geared towards cyber security or an apprenticeship and certs?

Spin

All Star
Daps
Brehs I'm currently in college but interested in getting Into cyber security...What is the best route to get into the sector, a college degree geared towards cyber security or an apprenticeship and certs?

The best path is experience. Get a job on campus doing desktop support or something. Your campus probably has a security team that you can shadow if you get your foot in the door. From there, work on certs. You can get an IT focused bachelors, but it's all going to be theory with no application.

You guys don't seem interested, but the military is a excellent route for someone who wants to get PAID to get experience in cyber security. You can join the Guard or Reserve (get a bonus) and be guaranteed experience. With a security clearance, you can get paid more than a person doing the same job but doesn't have the clearance. If you want to travel, you can go active duty and get paid to be overseas gaining experience.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Look at the jobs you want and see what certs they are asking for. Then look at the ones you have and see which compliment you best or will allow you yo get into those roles. Certs will help for the roles you are seeking. However once your in and get good, build a network, etc, then you will be good to go. oh and skip sysadmin. quicker you get into a role that makes the company money as opposed to being seen as a cost center the better for your career.
You don't recommend going the sysadmin route?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
How long did it take some of you to get your MCSA? MCSE?

Talking time to study for it.

And with CISSP how do they verify the requirements regarding working in at least 2 domains? Does Class Work and projects could too? Cant find anything regarding this.

Took me roughly 5 to 6 months to pass all 3 exams to become MCSA certified

What did you use to study? Didnt realize it was 150 per test lol

Cbt nuggets (or ITpro.tv)...mcsa2012 study guide, and those technet study guides that i found on google.

Just quoting these posts to remind myself to use this study method, when studying for Microsoft exams.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Brehs. For those of yall that are looking to get some experience. Go setup some servers on Amazon Web Services for free.

AWS Free Tier

Setup a windows server and build a domain and play with Active directory. Or build a Linux server or SQL.

Plus, AWS is very hot right now. So thats another skill you can add to the resume.

:ohhh: Would this be an alternative to upgrading my laptop to run VMs on my laptop?

What's a good site to get a lab manual?

Daps
This network+ exam has your boy shook.:sadcam: I'm gonna take it on thursday. Hopefully I pass or else I'll have wasted money I needed for bills and have to waste more money on some dumbass HDI cert to keep my job. :camby: Luckily I have Mike Meyers videos, a net+ book and testout to help grind this studying out. All I need is a 750, everything else is just for bragging rights :stylin: