IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
200w.gif

i should have done this in 2014
:francis:
that's what i get for guessing smfh

I went to an HBCU and i simply semt the Director of Comupter services an email and she had me come down and we talked then she told me i could start the next day. Paid min wage and was only 20 hrs a week but it was good for my resume as it gave me a yr experience and i used it to get my next job at best buy.

I ended up putting on other people when i left but that was a sweet juug because id only be working on fixing (really just doing clean installs of windows and MS office) computers 2 hrs a week and the other time i was just sitting in computer labs around campus doing homework or surfing the web.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I want to get in IT asap, how do I get started?

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
It seems like going the cisco route is the better way to go than Microsoft. I have my MCSA 2012 cert since last October but i havent got any looks yet for a system administrator gig. I was thinking would getting a CCNA get me more looks? Im just trying to get out of helpdesk breh:mjcry:

I just accepted a job as a SQL Systems Administrator :banderas: Hang in there breh:francis: stay focused and continue to sharpen your skills and knowledge. I cant stress this enough. Ive been at the helpdesk since 2010. I've tried to get as much expierence as I could from on the job, but u know how folks are when it comes to sharing knowledge and allowing lower positions to get hands on expierence with equipment:mjpls:. Ive spent the last few years watching CBTNugget videos and padding that resume with stuff that Ive picked up from the videos.

I've been on the job hunt all summer for System Admin jobs, had some leads and wasnt a good fit for some. Truth be told, making that jump to System Admin requires a wide net of knowledge and expeirence. You need to be well versed in: Exchange, Server 2008/2012, Active Directory, HyperVisors, Network SAN, server grade hardware and even networking/switching for some roles. But if youre looking to be a network admin/network engineer, all you need to know is switching/routing. If you dont mind praticing in IOS, becoming a network guy is the quickest escape from the helpdesk. :whew:
:ohhh:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Damn, just had my phone interview with the manager...don't know whatto think..:francis:.

He said the technical knowledge is there...at a lot of my answers, he did say good but I felt like my voice was not clear :mjcry:...

lol, I do ask my co-workers a lot of time how is my call hosting and they say I am doing fine and that I overthink things so hopefully they are right.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
anyone know where I could get questions for the Comptia A+ 901 and 902 questions I plan on taking the test soon and want to get my studying in ASAP I've been studying the 801 802 since i got the book last year(before I found out that test was discontinued).

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Yeah but you need 5 years experience in security to actually get certified even if you pass the CISSP. Best thing is to get your Security+ and some sysadmin certs. If you don't want to have to take 8472384 Windows certs just to get there, you can always knock out an RHCSA and RHCE and jump right to a sysadmin role and skip that helpdesk shyt nikkas push on here.

I would say the biggest tip I could tell anyone is: learn how to write code, even if its just bash/powershell automation scripting. It sets you apart from most sysadmins and gives your career a hefty boost, plus it makes it easier to move into DevOps which is where the field is heading. I can tell you from personal experience that even using configuration management tools such as Puppet or Chef (which means you have to learn Ruby) is much easier when you have a base to work off of. Spending my free time learning Python and Bash scripting in my first year of IT work paid dividends in my next couple of jobs.

Plus if you want to go security, its a must.

:ohhh:you didn't mention MCSA. Is it a waste of time for some in college. Im thinking about getting it

I didn't mention it because once I saw you had to take like 3127463974 prerequiste certs for it, I knew Windows admin work wasn't for me. Plus when you realize how broken MS is from a security standpoint (as in, most sysadmins don't know how to secure their network worth a shyt) I went Linux admin day 1. Plus its a much much easier career progression path going Linux with the money being there from the jump.

but... RCHE has more requirements than the MCSA

Yeah, pass the RHCSA, which is easy as shyt. The RHCSA is the Linux version of a MCSA except you don't have to take a million other exams first. So, the Linux side is easier and pays more.

:ohhh: Do y'all recommend getting a Linux+ cert if you've never used a Linux OS on Desktop PC before?

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
:salute:for taking the time to read this thread. It's time for you to put in more work though. (Aside from the class you're taking). Use the time you spend on here to study. Does not matter which cert. Just pick one and get it. That XP will allow you to go from mentee to mentor. In turn; you will be able to put more brothers on.

:ohhh: Do y'all recommend getting a Linux+ cert if you've never used a Linux OS on Desktop PC before?

Yea, if you want to skip help desk. Get the RHCSA instead of Linux+. It holds more weight.

Use this link to study:

RHCE Series: How to Setup and Test Static Network Routing - Part 1

I linked the RHCE on purpose. If you study this; the RHCSA finna be a breeze.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:francis: I just did an indeed search for RHCSA in Dallas, TX & only 4 listing came up versus 60 listings when I did a search for MCSA.