IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Brehs. For those of yall that are looking to get some experience. Go setup some servers on Amazon Web Services for free.

AWS Free Tier

Setup a windows server and build a domain and play with Active directory. Or build a Linux server or SQL.

Plus, AWS is very hot right now. So thats another skill you can add to the resume.

:ohhh: Would this be an alternative to upgrading my laptop to run VMs on my laptop?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are you using Gmail? if so, the message will be under 'Promotions' not 'Primary'. If you still don't see it. Fill out the initial form, again.
Yep. Been stalking that tab for the past few days. lol. But I just re-submitted my request with a different email address.

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've been lurking this thread for months now. I finally decided to take that step and rack up some certs for a career.

My question is, for someone like me thats just starting out that has 0 experience, how do I go about getting that hands-on experience?

Because it's one thing to read and watch some videos and get the answers right on the test. But I would assume you would have to know wtf you're doing when it's right in front of you. I.e installing a motherboard. I'm still very unfamiliar with MacOS, trying to get my hands on a machine but they're just out of the budget for now.

I know as I get deeper into IT I will have to go out and buy different routers and switches and hardware like that, but I would assume all of that will come once i'm considered a "professional"

Should I get a head start and start buying and messing around with different hardware, or should I wait until I score an entry level job where I can lean on the job basically? Would I be successful if I go with the latter, or will I be exposed?

My bad for all the questions, i'm just excited for this career path and the future. This thread has been AWESOME in terms of the solid information being shared. I thank each and every one of you brehs for your unselfishness and courtesy. :salute:

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
I've been lurking this thread for months now. I finally decided to take that step and rack up some certs for a career.

My question is, for someone like me thats just starting out that has 0 experience, how do I go about getting that hands-on experience?

Because it's one thing to read and watch some videos and get the answers right on the test. But I would assume you would have to know wtf you're doing when it's right in front of you. I.e installing a motherboard. I'm still very unfamiliar with MacOS, trying to get my hands on a machine but they're just out of the budget for now.

I know as I get deeper into IT I will have to go out and buy different routers and switches and hardware like that, but I would assume all of that will come once i'm considered a "professional"

Should I get a head start and start buying and messing around with different hardware, or should I wait until I score an entry level job where I can lean on the job basically? Would I be successful if I go with the latter, or will I be exposed?

My bad for all the questions, i'm just excited for this career path and the future. This thread has been AWESOME in terms of the solid information being shared. I thank each and every one of you brehs for your unselfishness and courtesy. :salute:
Did you get your A+ cert ?

Start their

Payroll

Insomnia Addict
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GMB
How would someone go the Business Analyst route??.....

I would say Network Admin or Database Admin, but I don't think I can leverage my business degree in either....

I already have a business degree with HR and Marketing as respective majors??.....

Are there any certs you brehs would recommend, I've been studying the Comptia A+ basically just for the sake of learning/interest....I also started learning SQL and about MSQLServer.....Just looking to pad up my resume tbh.....But I think the more I look into it and learn, the more I want to work in tech or do some sort of systems management/ database work.....

:to:

Last edited:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
How would someone go the Business Analyst route??.....

I already have a business degree

I also started learning SQL and about MSQLServer

You don't need certs for BA/data analyst type roles. Focus on Python, MySQL, and MongoDB. I would look for jobs as a Data analyst, BI analyst, BI developer, or in Big Data.

MongoDB University Online Courses

Go on Amazon and find the best rated book for Python and MySQL. If you don't want to read. Look at courses on Udacity or Treehouse.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
You don't need certs for BA/data analyst type roles. Focus on Python, MySQL, and MongoDB. I would look for jobs as a Data analyst, BI analyst, BI developer, or in Big Data.

MongoDB University Online Courses

Go on Amazon and find the best rated book for Python and MySQL. If you don't want to read. Look at courses on Udacity or Treehouse.

BA And Data Analyst are two different things.

People use BA interchangably with BI/Data Analyst but that is incorrect.

BA simply is a role at the root that defines what needs to be done and serves as the liaison between the Business and Technical teams.

That said you can go a few routes:
1. Product Owner route if you are trying to get into a shop that does SCRUM
2. Business Systems Analyst
3.Business Consultant (you focus more on strategy level things and what it will take to do these things, think building business cases).

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)

i plan on starting with CompTIA A+ im trynna get a study group going on IG lemme know if you're interested or have a bigger study group

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
For anyone in college id reccomened trying to get student employment or even volunteering at your schools computer services department (which ever department that manages on campus computer labs and staff computers) more so than waste time on the A+. This works better of course for people at smaller schools i.e HBCU.

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
For anyone in college id reccomened trying to get student employment or even volunteering at your schools computer services department (which ever department that manages on campus computer labs and staff computers) more so than waste time on the A+. This works better of course for people at smaller schools i.e HBCU.

200w.gif

i should have done this in 2014
:francis:
that's what i get for guessing smfh