IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

stave

Superstar
Daps
Have been thinking about getting into IT for awhile but wasn't really sure what I wanted to do.

Anyone work in data storage? Are the SNIA certs worth pursuing?

Also how easy is it to learn Linux? I got a free computer from my community college a couple years ago and just put Windows 8 on it bc I couldn't figure out how to use it.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Explain. Seems like something I haven't come across yet.
Let's say your using adfs or something similar sts.

So you'll have your f5... A proxy server in the DMZ that doesn't have DNS and maybe a host file only allowing it to connect to specific endpoints. Then from there there's likely another firewall and f5 behind that routing traffic to your ADFS pool.

Without being too technical, allowing secure authentic from the internet for your users for let's say mobile devices.

When they connect to VIP and begin their TLS SSL handshake they'll need to Hit the CRL distribution point for your cert provider (allowing auth up the chain).

The distribution point it a URL e. G. Https://verifycert.certblah.net/dheiem.crl or something similar.

If you don't white list all the applicable endpoints you'll receive a timeout when creating the SSL handshake. You can see that in wireshark as a long wait during the client hello and then a RST ACK being returned with the handshake ever occurring because that IP is not whitelisted.

From the application you'll likely just see a 503.

Point being it can cause a headache for your service teams by something that should probably be audited when renewing certs etc. But without it you could find yourself with a catastrophic failures for remote/mobile users.

I didn't proof read this and wrote it drunk on my phone. Feel free to correct, edit, make the example work better.

Celebrating this win! Ayyye

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
The job is going well I need information because they reimburse for the gsec.

Anyone have the gsec? How is it compared to other certifications?

The GSEC appears to be a good course and cert (just like anything SANS), however it is an infosec generalist cert. It is more technical minded than say, the CISSP or Sec+, but the former still carries more weight. The Sec+ serves as a solid entry level option that doesnt overwhelm the recipient with a shytload of info + helps qualify you for some DOD jobs.

If you're going to pay the stupid money for SANS, i'd go with something more advanced. GCIH, GPEN, GCIA, etc.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I've worked with people who've graduated from there. I personally think it would be better and cheaper to go to a CC and transfer to a state school.
I already have a UG degree so any benefits in terms of grants or FA is null for me. State school like what? What do your colleagues from say?