IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
I will advice you to take a lot of practice exams as well and also do a lot of real world practice since that will be the skill you will need to hold on to a job.

I will upload a simulator which shows you how to put together a computer and laptop. Once you get comfortable with that practice with actual PC's, that is the only way the material will stick

I barely read any of those long books...I do a lot of hands-on and practice exams.

Bump

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I bought a ccna course on udemy and just started. I may be an hour in. Would building a cheap home lab help me better understand the concepts this course is teaching?

Du'An Lightfoot has a video of how he built one for $105.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is Lynda reliable when it comes the IT Security and Certified Ethical Hacker tracks?? I know you still have to take the cert's and whatnot, but is the information/training actually quality?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I bought a ccna course on udemy and just started. I may be an hour in. Would building a cheap home lab help me better understand the concepts this course is teaching?

Yes. You could probably pass without a homelab but it would help you understand certain concepts and get practice in actually configuring hardware. And if you plan to go further in IT, it's a homelab is essential. And that is true for any certs you plan on taking.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston

Honestly, I would save your money and download this Simulator. It comes with labs ready to go for every topic on the ccna and beyond.

http://m.thepiratebay.org/torrent/16114836/Boson+NetSim+Network+Simulator+10.13

With a home lab, you'll be limited by either space or money and won't be able to scale up for the more complex topologies. You also get tired of having to reconfigure baseline configurations every time you want to create a new situation.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Had a interview with the Senior Recruiter now I have one with the HR Director for an IT role.. How do I prepare? :why:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Had a interview with the Senior Recruiter now I have one with the HR Director for an IT role.. How do I prepare? :why:
From my experience HR people don't do too much technical topics. Make sure you're solid on what's on your resume and can explain things clearly. Be prepared for "what do you do when X happens" scenarios. Articulate yourself well. Do some research on the company so you can be prepared for "what do you know about our company" questions.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
From my experience HR people don't do too much technical topics. Make sure you're solid on what's on your resume and can explain things clearly. Be prepared for "what do you do when X happens" scenarios. Articulate yourself well. Do some research on the company so you can be prepared for "what do you know about our company" questions.

I get that.. but what's going to different between this interview and the one I had with the Senior Recruiter? :patrice:

this one is obviously going to be a video interview and the first one was a phone interview..

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Like Czr said, is going to be a culture fit. That's why you should know the basics of their mission statement and stuff like that. You'll want to frame your answers to touch on tidbits from that without beating them over the head with it.

Soundwave

No Known Weaknesses
Supporter
Daps
Any brehs in here that work in HRIS (PeopleSoft, Workday, Success Factors, etc.)? I'm thinking about getting into that field :patrice:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Got that promotion today. Thanksgiving is going to taste so much better.
full