IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I already have a UG degree so any benefits in terms of grants or FA is null for me. State school like what? What do your colleagues from say?

So why are you going back to school? I don't really ask them about the school. Some of them seem to have learned some things while other seem to have paid for a degree.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Been here for hours trying to get these different apps to work in Kali :sadbron:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I usually tell recruiters my rate is 80/hr and they ghost my shyt. One hit me up - told them my rate was 50/hr. Tell me why they said "oh wow - we could've gone as high as 90/hr":wtf:

Play ya self, brehs

Been here for hours trying to get these different apps to work in Kali :sadbron:

What you tryna do?

Last edited:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I usually tell recruiters my rate is 80/hr and they ghost my shyt. One hit me up - told them my rate was 50/hr. Tell me why they said "oh wow - we could've gone as high as 90/hr":wtf:

Play ya self, brehs

What you tryna do?
I would've told him that we gotta renegotiate then :birdman:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What you tryna do?

Just tryna get my lab environment set up so I can try and exploit some vunrebilities

Im following this book that was written a few years ago so its all outdated, I finally got Ming and Hyperion installed but because of all the updates I did, the 20gb disk I've assigned is full

I've added another 50gb to the vm but cant expand the Kali partition cos i cant unmount:to:

After all that shyt i may have to start again:mjcry:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Just tryna get my lab environment set up so I can try and exploit some vunrebilities

Im following this book that was written a few years ago so its all outdated, I finally got Ming and Hyperion installed but because of all the updates I did, the 20gb disk I've assigned is full

I've added another 50gb to the vm but cant expand the Kali partition cos i cant unmount:to:

After all that shyt i may have to start again:mjcry:

If you want to learn C, Assembly, and Buffer Overflows. I recommend Hacking: The art of exploitation & Corelan tutorials

For general Pen testing knowledge, Penetration testing : a hands-on introduction to hacking & this free class by Offensive Security on Metasploit

Web App testing, The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws, 2nd Edition You can use these sites to lab XSS, XSRF, SQLi, etc - Web Application Exploits and Defenses , Vulnhub, or Owasp Broken Web App

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If you want to learn C, Assembly, and Buffer Overflows. I recommend Hacking: The art of exploitation & Corelan tutorials

For general Pen testing knowledge, Penetration testing : a hands-on introduction to hacking & this free class by Offensive Security on Metasploit

Web App testing, The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws, 2nd Edition You can use these sites to lab XSS, XSRF, SQLi, etc - Web Application Exploits and Defenses , Vulnhub, or Owasp Broken Web App
:salute: will use these for sure

Was it you doing the OSCP? :lupe:

Edit: The hands on book is the one I'm actually using to set up these labs:mjgrin:

The first one looks good, gonna throw it on my Kindle - I am learning alot from the Pentesting book but it at times I feel like I'm just following along so I think the first book will fill out some of those gaps

Last edited:

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
:mjlol: How did he come up with that assumption.
My CV is Big Data oriented but the vacancy was Cisco related, I'm early in my career and still trying to find my niche but Big Data is my area of interest. I was open to the job because they were offering to pay for me to get Cisco certified.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
:salute: will use these for sure

Was it you doing the OSCP? :lupe:

Yea - Still need to book the exam doe :francis:

Edit: The hands on book is the one I'm actually using to set up these labs:mjgrin:

The first one looks good, gonna throw it on my Kindle - I am learning alot from the Pentesting book but it at times I feel like I'm just following along so I think the first book will fill out some of those gaps

The other books, videos, and tutorials will fill in a lot of gaps.

What's the word on ya CCIE? :whoo:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yea - Still need to book the exam doe :francis:

The other books, videos, and tutorials will fill in a lot of gaps.

What's the word on ya CCIE? :whoo:

CCI what :mjgrin:

Work were vaugley interested in paying for a class then the company had a restructure and I am unwilling to relocate so by Feb/March im out

Been lookin into pentesting so gonna focus on it next 6 months see what I can do

Daps
Java will put you in the game....

fyi

Bachelor's + 3 years java = $60k-70k

+ 5 years $85k-$100k

5 years ago...I never thought I could ask for over $85k

That is what is on my profile on dice.com...and they call and email DAILY

Are you talking a bachelor's in just basic IT +3yrs of java

Daps
dont even focus on microsoft at all unless you want to do microsoft network administration, i would say you sound more networking centric, learn the basics

network interconnection
osi model
TCP/IP model (understanding packets/analyzing packets)
IPv4/IPv6
topologys
differences between intranet and internet
OSPF
ICMP
NAT/PAT
client/server networking
peer-to-peer networking
network architectures (fast eth, 10gbit, etc)
WAN/LAN/MAN
iptables/ipf - understanding packet filters
switches/routers
VLANS

using linux is a good base to start too, setup apache, postfix, mysql, maybe go throught he steps of setting up a wordpress site or something, and then setup iptables with a firewall

Bump