IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Of course as soon as I start the Cyber Security job all these Desktop jobs want to come through & finally cut the check :francis:

That's just how it is breh. I got this job and now I'm getting hits for SOC shyt every day off the strength of my old resume :russ:

I got no need to update my stuff out there now but when I get two years under my belt at this place :wow:

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
Cyber security. I want to get into it, but damn it seems like if you have experience it's just crazy hard. I just moved to the DMV area.

Right now I only have Sec+ but I'm not sure exactly what cert path I should be on?

CSA+ CEH? What's valuable brehs since I don't have the experience? Thanks for any input. Also what skills should I be trying to obtain?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Have a 45 minute technical interview coming up in a couple weeks. Getting the job would change my life because I'd have to move to Cali.

I don't really want to move, but I heard about this job years ago and told myself I'd go anywhere for it.

The recruiter sent me a PDF with interview tips and I have a chat with her coming up before the interview. I'm gonna study my ass off, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.
I aced the phone interview. Recruiter emailed me yesterday about the follow up interviews.

Two 45 minute video interviews with a 15 minute break in-between. :sadcam:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Cyber security. I want to get into it, but damn it seems like if you have experience it's just crazy hard. I just moved to the DMV area.

Right now I only have Sec+ but I'm not sure exactly what cert path I should be on?

CSA+ CEH? What's valuable brehs since I don't have the experience? Thanks for any input. Also what skills should I be trying to obtain?

Those certs will look nice but most places are going to want some experience to go with them. Do you have any IT experience at all?

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
Those certs will look nice but most places are going to want some experience to go with them. Do you have any IT experience at all?

Unfortunately no. I just literally started this help desk job. The problem is finding how to get the experience is what gets me. It can be frustrating at times.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Brehs, Is the Security+ cert worth having if you no IT experience?

I don't think any cert is worthless if you have no experience. That said, just because you have a Security+(or any cert) that you're guaranteed anything. If you have no experience I would focus on getting maybe one or two certs and then trying to get an entry level job. Then once you have a position, see what route you want to go in IT and focus on building towards that.

Unfortunately no. I just literally started this help desk job. The problem is finding how to get the experience is what gets me. It can be frustrating at times.

Helpdesk is technically experience. This is my advice and what I tell our help desk when they ask me.

1. Learn the infrastructure
2. Learn how to troubleshoot
3. Show that you add value
4. Ask questions
5. Ask questions
6. Ask questions
7. Ask questions

Time and time again when individuals within my company have done this, they have been promoted to greater roles. Some were promoted without any certs.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
The job is going well I need information because they reimburse for the gsec.

Anyone have the gsec? How is it compared to other certifications?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Brehs, Is the Security+ cert worth having if you no IT experience?
I don't think any cert is worthless if you have no experience. That said, just because you have a Security+(or any cert) that you're guaranteed anything. If you have no experience I would focus on getting maybe one or two certs and then trying to get an entry level job. Then once you have a position, see what route you want to go in IT and focus on building towards that.

Reading through older pages in this thread & @bdizzle answers my question:

I'm about to start study for the Security+ exam. Study for a good month then I'm going in

Are you in security or at least trying to get into? How far along are you in your career? Make sure you want to be in security before you take the exam. It really makes no sense to start going for these certs just to have em on your resume. It's just a waste of time and money.

I have no background experience in IT, I'm just a regular Liberal Arts major that wants to make a career change. I am interested in the security side of it. Currently looking for some entry level spots in help desk or support.

Don't even waste your time with the security+ then. Get your A+, get in help desk and figure out where you wanna go. You're not gonna jump into security b. You'll get a cert that you'll probably just let expire and have to retake again.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I been watching the YouTube channel of this IT hiring manager the last couple days. Do y'all agree with this?:

When someone new to IT or interested in an IT career asks advice for getting their foot in the door, invariably lots of people are going to tell them that they need to get the CompTIA A+ certification. But the A+ is not an IT certification at all, but a bench certification and the knowledge in it is either so basic that anyone interested in an IT career should either already have it (and never need to certify on it as it is so basic) or it doesn't really apply to them (because it is a bench skill.)

The A+ also suffers from being horrendously out of date, testing skills that would have been applicable often a decade prior. In entry level bench work, this is sometimes (but not often) useful, in IT is essentially never is. Bench work in entry level shops often involves local computers stores and consumers attempting to keep ancient hardware limping along that is not financially viable. Businesses, driven by financial decisions, are far less likely to do this and those that do, turn to consumer bench services for support.

Making the mistake of lumping bench work in with IT work leads to a feeling that the A+ will be beneficial to an IT career. But deep questioning of people who feel that they benefited from the A+ often expose that those that feel it helped them or that it was requires went into and often are still in bench careers, rather than IT ones (or jobs that are primarily bench.) If your interest in a career in IT, the A+ should be seen as both non-applicable as well as overly rudimentary, not to bench antiquated. Starter IT certs are more advanced and there is no reason not to jump straight into them instead. Having a higher level cert, meant for IT professionals, that is up to date will do dramatically more for your personal growth, your own education and your ability to get your foot into the door of a real IT position.

Discuss more here: https://mangolassi.it/topic/14470/is-...

The CompTIA Network+ is easily the best certification to use as your first step into the world of IT. It is entry level, but covers knowledge that is broadly applicable throughout the IT space and is even good for people looking at related fields including bench, software engineering and even general computer power user. Useful and applicable knowledge that would be great for just about anyone to have. But for IT, this is the place to start. Applicable for someone just starting in IT or even for middle or high school students looking for a challenge to get their feet wet and show some serious interest and dedication in the field.

It is very common that bench work is confused with IT work. Both work with computers, but serve computer systems. How can we tell the two apart?

I disagree for a few reasons. One, if you have no prior experience in IT or a degree related to the field it can definitely help you get your first shot. Two, it really isn't that hard to get. You could probably pass it with a month or two of serious studying. Obviously if you know you can take on one of the more higher level certs, then the do that instead of the A+ but the average person looking to get into IT is not passing the Net+ in a month or two of studying. Do I agree with him that alot of stuff covered in the A+ will do you no good in real world? Yeah. But I believe some of the stuff it does covers is very valuable.

Dude just dropped a bunch of videos in the last few days & this was 1 of them:

There are lots of ways to get into IT, but a persistent myth is that you have to start on the helpdesk and move to other IT disciplines. This does a disservice to everyone and just is not the case.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
About the Helpdesk is Not the Entry Point video:

It's true that you can enter IT via routes other than help desk. I just think it's a lot harder to do so.

And I disagree that help desk doesn't lead to other things. I worked in a small ~40-ish person office and I've had to deal with generic hardware issues, user login problems, network issues, new employee accounts, malware\viruses. Do you think the IT Solutions Architect Director or whatever his title was cared about any of that shyt? I handled it on my own and IM'ed him if it got serious. And I learned a bunch about IT infrastructure, as a result.

I also find it hard to imagine someone with no experience getting a junior networking or sys admin role over someone who has help desk\desktop support experience. Unless you have a CS degree and multiple internships, you ain't getting an entry level security job without some certs and doing your tour of duty in the help desk or NOC.

Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong though. This is just what I think.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Dude just dropped a bunch of videos in the last few days & this was 1 of them:

The video title is very misleading. He titles it that and goes on to say it is an entry point. All I will say is that ask the majority of people in IT how they got their start and they will most likely say help desk/desktop support. If you feel like you can get into IT without starting at help desk go for it. Everyone doesn't have to go the same route.