IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I graduate in December and I probably have applied for like 100 entry level college grad IT jobs/programs since September. I still haven't even heard back from like a half of the companies I applied to and my applications are still in the "received" status. The other half I was rejected without any contact or for like 10 jobs rejected after doing a hirevue interview. I had an in person interview last Tuesday in person, but I'm still waiting on the results. Is finding a job supposed to be this hard, or am I just probably bad at kissing ass?
Sounds par for the course :manny:. Same shyt I'm going through.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I graduate in December and I probably have applied for like 100 entry level college grad IT jobs/programs since September. I still haven't even heard back from like a half of the companies I applied to and my applications are still in the "received" status. The other half I was rejected without any contact or for like 10 jobs rejected after doing a hirevue interview. I had an in person interview last Tuesday in person, but I'm still waiting on the results. Is finding a job supposed to be this hard, or am I just probably bad at kissing ass?
Where do you live?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Yup these were all created to drive wages down thats why big companies get behind them but they are seeing that you simply cant make someone a good developer in a few weeks
Agreed. I mean, there are a plethora of bootcamp grads that have done very well for themselves. But percentage-wise, things have not gone well in the long-term. It also depends on the strength of the bootcamp, as they are not all created equal. I did well, but it had more to do with my IQ and ability to acquire new languages than anything else. I have always fared better with accelerated learning than I have in a more traditional capacity. But even with all that being said, there is still a clear difference between myself and the other dev's who did not crash course their way into their positions. I have an advantage when it comes to the specific language covered by my bootcamp, but overall understanding of project structure and flow has been more of a challenge. It also doesn't help that I have been on 3 different teams in the past 6 months. lol. Each time I become familiar with a project, the exec's wanna change some ish up.
Yeah, I don't see how someone who never went to college & went to a bootcamp could compete with dudes have Computer Science degrees.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Took me seven months to get my current position. Have you spoke with any recruiters?

BVII

Pro
Daps
Took me seven months to get my current position. Have you spoke with any recruiters?
Yes, I've spoken to a few by email and in person. The ones I've spoken to are mainly looking for software developers and I'm not interested in that.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I don't see how someone who never went to college & went to a bootcamp could compete with dudes have Computer Science degrees.
From a curriculum standpoint, they can actually end up in a more advantageous position. I know many employers who bring on bootcamp grads b/c they know that there is experience with certain specific majors. Comp Sci programs do not necessarily dive deeply into any particular languages. So it really comes down to experience vs degree. Someone who has learned Python/Ruby/Java/MVC/Entity Framework/C#/JS/etc. vs. someone who has learned algorithms/system structure/other non-programming specific information. In my bootcamp, there were a couple comp sci grads who struggled to keep pace. Now, their QUALITY was on a whole other level. But their foundational programming knowledge was not vastly superior. While the comp sci grads would be a smarter investment, I can see why companies would save money in favor of a cog-in-the-wheel developer.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
When you say quality you mean how clean their clean looked?
Yep, that was part of it. But beyond being cleaner/more efficient, they also were able to create more powerful functionality. For one group project, my teammate didn't want to deal with any templates, so he hard-coded every element of the site we created. More or less, given the same time constraints and resources as the rest of the cohort, the Comp Sci students had code that looked very professional and seasoned. And their code also did not break so easily as the noobs in the cohort. lol

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
So Desktop support isn't an entry-level job though?

you sure? because Im a student that does Desktop Support part time and im having problems finding a full time job after graduation

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
I can't speak on other industries but at least in IT, titles vary from company to company. A company can have a System/Network Engineer who does both designing, building, and managing and another company can have a separate individual for each of those duties. My company for example has System Engineers and System Admins but only have Network Engineers.

yep technically imma tech support engineer but i dont build shytt