IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'll be nowhere near job ready when this coding bootcamp ends in 7 weeks.

Some of my classmates (the ones who also got in for free) aren't happy with the way things are. They're planning a meetup to discuss things and present it to people at the non-profit that got us in. This all stemmed from a previous meeting last week, where the Careers guy from the non-profit came and talked to us.

It's hard to say what exactly the complaints are, since there 15 or more of us. The main concern is how hard learning to code is and the belief that they won't be job ready by the end of it. What's funny to me is how much they complain and then go on to produce awesome projects (much better than mine).

My plan is to try to get through this and aim for junior systems engineer (or junior devops) positions. Or even junior QA positions, if they'll take me. But I'd go back to a support role for the right company\promise of training.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll be nowhere near job ready when this coding bootcamp ends in 7 weeks.

Some of my classmates (the ones who also got in for free) aren't happy with the way things are. They're planning a meetup to discuss things and present it to people at the non-profit that got us in. This all stemmed from a previous meeting last week, where the Careers guy from the non-profit came and talked to us.

It's hard to say what exactly the complaints are, since there 15 or more of us. The main concern is how hard learning to code is and the belief that they won't be job ready by the end of it. What's funny to me is how much they complain and then go on to produce awesome projects (much better than mine).

My plan is to try to get through this and aim for junior systems engineer (or junior devops) positions. Or even junior QA positions, if they'll take me. But I'd go back to a support role for the right company\promise of training.
What city you in? Sounds a lot like the bootcamp I recently finished.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bootcamps are the new juug lol
Real talk. lol. And it's already affecting the market b/c starting salaries have dropped by 10-20k out here. Mine was subsidized, so I literally had nothing to lose (but time). They're still a great look for people that are looking to break into IT fast, tho. For now, they're still a smart investment if you plan to stay in that industry. Two years from now gon' be a completely different scene, tho.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Real talk. lol. And it's already affecting the market b/c starting salaries have dropped by 10-20k out here. Mine was subsidized, so I literally had nothing to lose (but time). They're still a great look for people that are looking to break into IT fast, tho. For now, they're still a smart investment if you plan to stay in that industry. Two years from now gon' be a completely different scene, tho.

Yup these were all created to drive wages down thats why big companies get behind them but they are seeing that you simply cant make someone a good developer in a few weeks

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup these were all created to drive wages down thats why big companies get behind them but they are seeing that you simply cant make someone a good developer in a few weeks
Agreed. I mean, there are a plethora of bootcamp grads that have done very well for themselves. But percentage-wise, things have not gone well in the long-term. It also depends on the strength of the bootcamp, as they are not all created equal. I did well, but it had more to do with my IQ and ability to acquire new languages than anything else. I have always fared better with accelerated learning than I have in a more traditional capacity. But even with all that being said, there is still a clear difference between myself and the other dev's who did not crash course their way into their positions. I have an advantage when it comes to the specific language covered by my bootcamp, but overall understanding of project structure and flow has been more of a challenge. It also doesn't help that I have been on 3 different teams in the past 6 months. lol. Each time I become familiar with a project, the exec's wanna change some ish up.

BVII

Pro
Daps
I graduate in December and I probably have applied for like 100 entry level college grad IT jobs/programs since September. I still haven't even heard back from like a half of the companies I applied to and my applications are still in the "received" status. The other half I was rejected without any contact or for like 10 jobs rejected after doing a hirevue interview. I had an in person interview last Tuesday in person, but I'm still waiting on the results. Is finding a job supposed to be this hard, or am I just probably bad at kissing ass?