IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I don't have a degree in any of what u just said. That's my worry. However i do have a degree in something. Good or bad for a person considering going into IT?

Any degree is better than none. That said you can either get a technical masters degree and try to work your way into one of the new grad programs many companies have or you can just pick up the technical skills on your own and try to get a junior role at a company.

All this depends on your family/personal situation though. Some people cant simply up and relocate anywhere which you may have to do if you get a masters and get a gig via some new grad development program

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
2nd company finally ready for me to start friday

I want to cause lord knows I need this Security experience on my resume and the money would be great. But maaaaan id be spreading myself thin as hell.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
2nd company finally ready for me to start friday

I want to cause lord knows I need this Security experience on my resume and the money would be great. But maaaaan id be spreading myself thin as hell.
:dwillhuh: So now you have 2 IT jobs & school? Please tell me you're not doing all 3 fulltime?.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Sup brehs...

I've been lurking for a little bit, and decided sign up just recently. This thread caught my eye just as I was gaining interest in the IT field. Before I ask some questions, I'll give some details about myself. I'm 25, live in FL, and went to school for Animation/International Relations/Nursing initially (didn't work out lol). After changing a ton of majors, and trying a ton of different jobs since HS I've decided to give this IT thing a shot. As I've always had a soft spot for the ins and out of tech and software, plus I need to be making better money.

I'm going back to school in January (hopefully for something IT related since a lot of jobs require it). But your boy wants to find a Help Desk job ASAP. I bought two Mike Meyers Udemy courses in A+ and Network+ because they were pretty cheap and I plan on studying hard and hopefully scheduling it early next year. Cats have been saying Help Desk is entry level, yet some of these jobs require a 4 year degree or 1-2 years of experience which I do not have. So if I'm being real, I'm a little discouraged early, and I have so much catching up to do if I want to be competitive. I know I got a long road ahead but I'm willing to put the time and work in.

Thoughts on how I'm approaching this?

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
We should really create a wiki or some type of page for resources and common questions. There's a ton of good info in this thread but it needs to be consolidated in an easy to access form.

Reading this entire thread is a low barrier of entry to IT. Unbeknownst to the reader; they will learn a principle that all successful people live by - ABL (always be learning). If they take the initiative to read this entire thread and execute what they learn. Their trajectory will be exponential; whereas average career growth is linear.

tl;dr If they can't read this entire thread; they not built for this.

Start here

Desktop is fulltime M-F 7-4

School on Wedn/Thurs 6-10, + online class

Security Ops M & F 5-11, and either Tues/Sun

Hol' it dine fa H tine mayne

:troll:
:mjgrin:
:skip:
:what:
:hubie:
u ah 6 figga hitta, now? :dame:

Last edited:

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Desktop is fulltime M-F 7-4

School on Wedn/Thurs 6-10, + online class

Security Ops M & F 5-11, and either Tues/Sun
man im not gonna lie that shyt sounds crazy :russ: Im assuming the jobs are close together to fall within that hr commute?

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti

I've been reading the thread and that's one of the things that got me to sign up. I'm probably gonna start over again and start jotting some notes down, and come up with a plan.

The main reason I posted was because I noticed the thread was made in 2012, and I'm not sure how much has changed. I'm trying to be as up to date as possible with my approach, but I do agree that you'll get whatever you're willing to put in. Either way, guess I'll read through it and see what I can learn.

With 300+ pages y'all probably covered literally every question lol.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been reading the thread and that's one of the things that got me to sign up. I'm probably gonna start over again and start jotting some notes down, and come up with a plan.

The main reason I posted was because I noticed the thread was made in 2012, and I'm not sure how much has changed. I'm trying to be as up to date as possible with my approach, but I do agree that you'll get whatever you're willing to put in. Either way, guess I'll read through it and see what I can learn.

With 300+ pages y'all probably covered literally every question lol.
Yea, you don't necessarily need to try and read all 700 pages. If you went back 100 pages, you'd still be ahead of the curve. BUT, the further back you go, the more you will learn. So it's up to you how much info you need to see before you're comfortable making a decision. The most important step is making a decision. If you sit back vacillating, you will have wasted unnecessary time with nothing to show for it.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I'm probably gonna start over again and start jotting some notes down, and come up with a plan.

As long as you have that "I can figure this shyt out on my own" mentality; you will make it in this field.

To my knowledge; there are three brehs from Florida (:patrice:). All of them are doing great. Two of them skipped help desk. One is a Network Engineer, the other is a Security Engineer. The other breh just got promoted to a new role. He has a lot of room for growth, but idk his title.

Follow Judite's advice If you tryna make moves now. Just go back 50 - 100 pages at a time. Make sure you execute what you learn asap. That should give you enough game for a solid resume to get interviews. Finesse a few interviewers and next thing you know - you got ya first IT job.

@JuditeTormentor Look into the OSCP if you still interested in Penetration Testing. A free alternative would be to join Bugcrowd.

Last edited:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Sup brehs...

I've been lurking for a little bit, and decided sign up just recently. This thread caught my eye just as I was gaining interest in the IT field. Before I ask some questions, I'll give some details about myself. I'm 25, live in FL, and went to school for Animation/International Relations/Nursing initially (didn't work out lol). After changing a ton of majors, and trying a ton of different jobs since HS I've decided to give this IT thing a shot. As I've always had a soft spot for the ins and out of tech and software, plus I need to be making better money.

I'm going back to school in January (hopefully for something IT related since a lot of jobs require it). But your boy wants to find a Help Desk job ASAP. I bought two Mike Meyers Udemy courses in A+ and Network+ because they were pretty cheap and I plan on studying hard and hopefully scheduling it early next year. Cats have been saying Help Desk is entry level, yet some of these jobs require a 4 year degree or 1-2 years of experience which I do not have. So if I'm being real, I'm a little discouraged early, and I have so much catching up to do if I want to be competitive. I know I got a long road ahead but I'm willing to put the time and work in.

You need to focus at one task at a time,. Just judging from your post you seem to be all over the place. Do you have any IT background? If not, focus on getting the A+(if you start today you should have it no later than Feb next year). Then you should be applying to as many help desk jobs as you can, even if they ask for a degree or experience. Jobs titles don't always match up but 90% of the time, help desk people are just picking up the phone and putting in tickets. Now once you get a help desk position, your main focus should be getting out of there as fast as possible and finding out which area of IT you want to specialize in.