IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Brehs what is the cert/career path for someone who wanted to be a Network Tech for a cable company/ISP (i.e. Verizion FIOS, AT&T Uverse, Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum, & etc)? I'm talking about the dude they send over to your crib if your internet/tv service/home phone line isn't working or to install those services.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Brehs what is the cert/career path for someone who wanted to be a Network Tech for a cable company/ISP (i.e. Verizion FIOS, AT&T Uverse, Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum, & etc)? I'm talking about the dude they send over to your crib if your internet/tv service/home phone line isn't working or to install those services.
That's a low barrier type job. An A+ could get you in. I remember Comcast trying to recruit me while I was in school to do that.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
That's a low barrier type job. An A+ could get you in. I remember Comcast trying to recruit me while I was in school to do that.
Only an A+? I'd assume you'd need also need Network+ knowledge.

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Prefessor messor and the comptia objectives is all you need imo. Go through each objective until you understand each of them to where you could give a person who doesnt know anything about the individual objective a qucik explanation without having to look it up. Purchase his notes for like 10 bucks and memorize them. They may not all be on the test but there will be some. You study that you should be good. Also you may want to get a practice test when you feel your ready. I want to say say transender was the closet to the test if I remember correctly(dont hold me to that though).

Transcender is actually tougher they say if you're consistently getting over a 70 you're ready for the A+

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
Does Cybrary have apps for Apple TV/Fire TV/Roku?
If you can mirror your browser to those devices it should work, otherwise just plug your laptop into tv/display if it has an HDMI port. I'm not sure if you can download them natively and don't think there is an app, but check their website out to see what options you got with your setup.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Transcender is actually tougher they say if you're consistently getting over a 70 you're ready for the A+
yea thats why i said that one. I tried a couple including test that came the A+ all in one book, and trancender is the closets to actual test.

Honestly if I was taking it again. I wouldnt buy any books. JUST
Professor Messer vids (free)
Professor messer notes (901 10$, 902 10$) 20$ total

Buy transcender practice test only ( cheep pricing option you can find)

save the money u would spend on a book and use it on a good practice test.

I read All in One and didnt help me anymore than Messer and wasted a lot of my time because Im a slow reader.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Anything you can do other then helpdesk with A+ and N+?
Yes, you can pursue other IT career but you have to be very knowledgeable on other IT skillset. The A+ and N+ are used as a key to open the pathway to other IT career, so focus on entering the pathway, than venture off to more advanced skills.

bucks3115

Superstar
Daps
Any one here is doin system admnistrator

Hw is it ?
Which certification should i get for dat ?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Does anyone work mainly from home? If so, what job do you do, and what are the best skills needed if you want to work mainly from home. Im assuming programming but are there others?

Not any more (took a new job that paid more) but I used to.

It was basically just taking tech support calls. Company gave me a laptop and headset to use, so as long as I had Internet I could just boot it up, log into the VPN, and wait for calls to come in. Was a pretty cool job :ehh: but not much opportunity to move up and the pay was meh so I left after a couple years.

Any one here is doin system admnistrator

Hw is it ?
Which certification should i get for dat ?

What kind of experience do you have in IT?

If you're just starting out then you don't have much chance of getting a Sys Admin job, companies are not trying to let somebody off the street with no experience into the server room. If you don't have any experience you're better off getting your A+ and trying to find a helpdesk or desktop support job and trying to move up from there.

bucks3115

Superstar
Daps
Not any more (took a new job that paid more) but I used to.

It was basically just taking tech support calls. Company gave me a laptop and headset to use, so as long as I had Internet I could just boot it up, log into the VPN, and wait for calls to come in. Was a pretty cool job :ehh: but not much opportunity to move up and the pay was meh so I left after a couple years.

What kind of experience do you have in IT?

If you're just starting out then you don't have much chance of getting a Sys Admin job, companies are not trying to let somebody off the street with no experience into the server room. If you don't have any experience you're better off getting your A+ and trying to find a helpdesk or desktop support job and trying to move up from there.

No i have experience i have worked for 3 month , i got bachelor in IT , certification N+ and CCNA
Im trying to move up to system admin
School me on this