IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
No i have experience i have worked for 3 month , i got bachelor in IT , certification N+ and CCNA
Im trying to move up to system admin
School me on this

You already got enough certs and education for somebody starting out. Low key I'm a Systems Engineer and I don't even have my CCNA yet. :heh:

Most important thing for you is getting more work experience. My advice is to have somebody look over your resume and then start applying for jobs. But like I said, be realistic. You don't have enough experience for a Sys Admin job at this point (although you might be able to find a Jr. Sys Admin job if you're lucky), so start applying for jobs like helpdesk technician/tech support/desktop support/etc. Once you got at least a year of work experience you can start looking to move up.

Right now you should be more focused on applying for jobs than on certs. If you're not getting interviews then you probably need a better resume.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
No i have experience i have worked for 3 month , i got bachelor in IT , certification N+ and CCNA
School me on this

You have to understand that you would be working on production systems that would cost to company money if they went down. So like posted above no one is going to give you access to these systems without any experience just because you have a cert. Now if you established some trust with the company you are at, they might be willing to slowly give you that access but I doubt that with just 3 months experience. My advice, keep gaining whatever experience you can. Build a home lab, spin up some VMs, and start learning.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Does anyone work mainly from home? If so, what job do you do, and what are the best skills needed if you want to work mainly from home. Im assuming programming but are there others?

Not any more (took a new job that paid more) but I used to.

It was basically just taking tech support calls. Company gave me a laptop and headset to use, so as long as I had Internet I could just boot it up, log into the VPN, and wait for calls to come in. Was a pretty cool job :ehh: but not much opportunity to move up and the pay was meh so I left after a couple years.

Do you have to have experience to get a Remote Tech Support job or nah?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Do you have to have experience to get a Remote Tech Support job or nah?

There's no specific answer to that, it just depends on the company and what you're supporting, but in general it's easier to get jobs with experience than without. :yeshrug:

If you don't have any experience you should at least try to get your A+ cert though. Aside from that though, the thing people overlook is not having a shytty resume.

You can have all the certs/degrees/experience in the world but you'll still struggle to get interviews if your resume is :trash:.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
School me on this
I think you would be close to getting a Jr system admin role. You need to go hard at learning Active Directory if you haven't already. With your networking certs, why not go that route?

bucks3115

Superstar
Daps
I think you would be close to getting a Jr system admin role. You need to go hard at learning Active Directory if you haven't already. With your networking certs, why not go that route?

I want system admin cuz it include network and other things
and i hear that the salary is better than network admin

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, you can pursue other IT career but you have to be very knowledgeable on other IT skillset. The A+ and N+ are used as a key to open the pathway to other IT career, so focus on entering the pathway, than venture off to more advanced skills.
Thanks, as far as pathways im assuming on of these is what you mean https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf

Thats my issue Im not sure which one to choose. Im interested in a career in the future I can do mainly remote, and there is work. Things that would lend it self to contract self employment would be ideal.

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Thanks, as far as pathways im assuming on of these is what you mean https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf

Thats my issue Im not sure which one to choose. Im interested in a career in the future I can do mainly remote, and there is work. Things that would lend it self to contract self employment would be ideal.
You can find your niche when you start doing your research on which career that fits your goals of becoming a self employed technician. Usually the pathway of becoming an expert of your skillset will lead to independence.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can find your niche when you start doing your research on which career that fits your goals of becoming a self employed technician. Usually the pathway of becoming an expert of your skillset will lead to independence.
thanks, your probably right. I was just wondering if there was a pathway that would allow me to work somewhat independently(remote) on my way to expert level where I can trully be independent

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Brehs what are y'all thoughts on getting an undergraduate certificate in IT versus an AAS or professional CompTIA/Cisco/Microsoft certs ?

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs what are y'all thoughts on getting an undergraduate certificate in IT versus an AAS?

Both seem like a waste of time an money honestly. Only thing that will excuse a degree is getting real work experience and at this point in the game you will be hard pressed to find a company to take a chance on someone without a degree. Most of these no degree guys you see got in the game 10+ yrs ago

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
Both seem like a waste of time an money honestly. Only thing that will excuse a degree is getting real work experience and at this point in the game you will be hard pressed to find a company to take a chance on someone without a degree. Most of these no degree guys you see got in the game 10+ yrs ago
Would you say any degree is fine or a degree in IT?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Would you say any degree is fine or a degree in IT?

CS/CIS/MIS/IT Are what you need to look at. Degrees are gate keepers so really if you can get any of those in the cheapest way you can you will be good. There are a few online joints like western governers i think that are accreddited that people have been using. You get a degree and a few certs so theres some bank for your buck.

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
CS/CIS/MIS/IT Are what you need to look at. Degrees are gate keepers so really if you can get any of those in the cheapest way you can you will be good. There are a few online joints like western governers i think that are accreddited that people have been using. You get a degree and a few certs so theres some bank for your buck.
I don't have a degree in any of what u just said. That's my worry. However i do have a degree in something. Good or bad for a person considering going into IT?