IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Coli brehs I would like some input. I want to get into the Networking/Network Security field. I'm currently a 4th year student just changed my major to CompSCI from Engineering so I have about 2 years left. Our CompSci program is mostly Programming ,there's maybe 2/3 courses related to networking. I haven't been feeling all the programming lately especially since It isn't relevant to what I want to do so I was thinking of changing my major to Math.Due to all the time i spent in the engineering department I'd only need 2 more semesters to graduate with a BS in Computational Mathematics. I'm not sure though either degree I would have to do a lot of self studying to get into Networking but I feel CompSci would be more beneficial as far as job prospects but with the Math major I'd be doing something I actually enjoy and I'd finish in over half the time and be able to begin learning Networking/get a help desk job for experience/etcc vs being in school an extra year and a half

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Coli brehs I would like some input. I want to get into the Networking/Network Security field. I'm currently a 4th year student just changed my major to CompSCI from Engineering so I have about 2 years left. Our CompSci program is mostly Programming ,there's maybe 2/3 courses related to networking. I haven't been feeling all the programming lately especially since It isn't relevant to what I want to do so I was thinking of changing my major to Math.Due to all the time i spent in the engineering department I'd only need 2 more semesters to graduate with a BS in Computational Mathematics. I'm not sure though either degree I would have to do a lot of self studying to get into Networking but I feel CompSci would be more beneficial as far as job prospects but with the Math major I'd be doing something I actually enjoy and I'd finish in over half the time and be able to begin learning Networking/get a help desk job for experience/etcc vs being in school an extra year and a half
Unless money is a huge issue don't trip about the time it takes to graduate. I know someone who, for some reason or another, took 10 years to finish an aerospace degree. If you want to get into networks look if your school has a Computer Information Systems major and get into that. It's closer to what you want to do. On top of that you should want the degree over chasing certs to land a help desk position. I mentioned it in another thread but I have friends who graduated with a degree in the field and are looking to land jobs a few steps higher than help desk without having those certs. Join your school's technical clubs and attend their events. You can learn some cool things - I learned (and forgot) how to use Wireshark to view plaintext packets sent over an unsecured network back when I was a freshman. It was also my first time using Linux. Don't be in a rush to leave, you have a lot of resources around you.

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
Coli Brehs what are the best degrees to get in the IT field. I know you can land a job with just Certs but what degrees would you need to eventually obtain that high six figure salary?

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Does anyone work mainly from home? If so, what job do you do, and what are the best skills needed if you want to work mainly from home. Im assuming programming but are there others?

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
Guys what resources can I use to study Comptia A+? and what are the best ones?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Does anyone work mainly from home? If so, what job do you do, and what are the best skills needed if you want to work mainly from home. Im assuming programming but are there others?

Where I work most analyst have the option to work a few days and senior analyst get the option to strictly work from home. It's not so much skills, more so what your position requires you to do and whether your company trusts you. Most positions will state if working remote is available or not.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prefessor messor and the comptia objectives is all you need imo. Go through each objective until you understand each of them to where you could give a person who doesnt know anything about the individual objective a qucik explanation without having to look it up. Purchase his notes for like 10 bucks and memorize them. They may not all be on the test but there will be some. You study that you should be good. Also you may want to get a practice test when you feel your ready. I want to say say transender was the closet to the test if I remember correctly(dont hold me to that though).

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Check out Professormesser.com. Purchased a CompTia book from amazon. Get you a cheap computer with a Windows 10 Enterprise version to use as a lab. You need learn how to navigate in operating system and practice configurating Windows setting. Also, you need to learn each hardware components in the computer and its job function.