IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
So I'm going to Devry, learning a lot towards my networking degree. How important are GPA's,in the field? Are they more important than working knowledge or experience?

People typically dont care about GPA unless you plan to go to grad school or you are getting a BS and the company typically recruits from that school. Also, im not saying devry is bad. but just know that some people will look down on it. So completing a program there will not help you. But what you learn during the programs and if you can get some certs and experience, that will help you.

I'm expecting that. I'm looking for the skills I have a couple of friends who can get me in the door.

Do you think I should find another school?

Yes you should. It's way cheaper to go to school at a Community College or Junior College than a trade or technical school like Devry. You should visit the websites of your local Community Colleges or JUCOs to see if they have a similar program.

EDIT:

I just looked it up & saw that Devry has Bachelor & post-graduate degree programs. I always assumed Devry was just a trade/technical school. @The Hierophant Are you trying to get a Bachelor Degree or an Associate degree? If you're only trying to get an Associate Degree go the Community College or JUCO route.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Yes you should. It's way cheaper to go to school at a Community College or Junior College than a trade or technical school like Devry. You should visit the websites of your local Community Colleges or JUCOs to see if they have a similar program.

EDIT:

I just looked it up & saw that Devry has Bachelor & post-graduate degree programs. I always assumed Devry was just a trade/technical school. @The Hierophant Are you trying to get a Bachelor Degree or an Associate degree? If you're only trying to get an Associate Degree go the Community College or JUCO route.
I was originally gonna just get an AA but now I wanna get into Cyber Security.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

EDIT:

The Community College I go to has a Network Administrator & Support AAS with Security specialization degree plan: https://www1.dcccd.edu/catalog/programs/degree.cfm?degree=network_admin_supp_aas&loc=RLC

You should check if your local Community Colleges or JUCOs has something similar.

Daps

EDIT:

even if they have a bachelors is it credited? unlikely and it still has the whole bad rep thing.
Your best bet is to take community college classes that can transfer to a 4 year school and be put towards a bachelors. Even if you dont plan to get a bachelors, you may change your mind in 2, 5 or 10 years. best to have more options.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
even if they have a bachelors is it credited? unlikely and it still has the whole bad rep thing.
Your best bet is to take community college classes that can transfer to a 4 year school and be put towards a bachelors. Even if you dont plan to get a bachelors, you may change your mind in 2, 5 or 10 years. best to have more options.
From what I'm seeing Devry is accredited.

Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission | DeVry University

Is DeVry University Accredited?

Daps
DeVry University Lawsuit Again Shows Downside of For-Profit Colleges

I feel like im bashing DeVry and im not. I know folks that went to Devry and have great IT careers, so at the end of the day do you and do what works best for you. But if im getting a AS or BS i am doing it from a not for profit school that is well respected either nationally or locally. Not saying it has to be harvard. But aim for the best you can get into in your budget. Its a small difference but sometimes that can make a BIG difference in your career. Perception is everything.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

The Community College I go to has a Network Administrator & Support AAS with Security specialization degree plan: https://www1.dcccd.edu/catalog/programs/degree.cfm?degree=network_admin_supp_aas&loc=RLC

You should check if your local Community Colleges or JUCOs has something similar.

sure. Wish I had this info before I started paying.

I just remembered the Community College I go to also has a Cybersecurity AAS degree plan & you have the option to specialize in Cyber Defense, Digital Forensics/Cyber Crime, Information Assurance, Network Security Administration, or System Security Administration: https://www1.dcccd.edu/catalog/programs/degree.cfm?degree=digi_forensics_aas&loc=RLC

So definitely check for a Cybersecurity AAS degree plans at your local Community Colleges or JUCOs.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
So I'm going to Devry, learning a lot towards my networking degree. How important are GPA's,in the field? Are they more important than working knowledge or experience?

I just graduated so I can probably provide some recent experience...my GPA was good but from some of my classmates I know:

- Most of the higher paying organizations (and even a lot of smaller orgs) want to see at least a 3.0....and these days (because so many people are going to college) they can even be particularly picky and request a 3.5. The reason this is troublesome is because a lot of orgs have GPA filters...and will automatically toss out applications without looking at them if they don't meet the GPA.

- That makes it harder to get a position if you have a bad gpa, but not impossible. If you know your stuff and go to career fairs (or find a contact within the company) you can articulate yourself better than a resume can, and truly show your GPA doesn't represent your IT knowledge.

- Additionally if you can get a solid year (the more the better) of IT experience (even if it's just a student help desk position) while in college it'll make it a lot easier.

The job market has changed a bit...experience is still a huge factor...and definitely is king in some realms....but overall the IT market is becoming so saturated networking is becoming the king. So go to career fairs, make and keep connections on Linkedin, and you'll be fine. I had a classmate who graduated with a 2.3 gpa to a 65k job...just because she happened to have connections.