IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Take a computer apart and put it back together again. If you can do that without any trouble then you could probably do desktop support.

As far as getting hired though, if you don't have any experience you'll want to probably get your A+.

That's how I got my job.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
I'm all for getting a degree if you don't have one but agree that no degree will guarantee you anything. What area of IT do you want to be in?

Want to get into network security or programming. I can't sure still for programming but currently learning python. I just like client support but no money in hardware

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
So I'm going to Devry, learning a lot towards my networking degree. How important are GPA's,in the field? Are they more important than working knowledge or experience?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
So I'm going to Devry, learning a lot towards my networking degree. How important are GPA's,in the field? Are they more important than working knowledge or experience?
Experience is king but if you can keep your GPA above 3.0 then you'll have more immediate opportunities. If you want to work for NASA, Boeing, defense contractors, or big name companies they tend to list a 3.0 minimum. On the other hand if you can display a grab bag of experience that can overshadow GPA.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Experience is king but if you can keep your GPA above 3.0 then you'll have more immediate opportunities. If you want to work for NASA, Boeing, defense contractors, or big name companies they tend to list a 3.0 minimum. On the other hand if you can display a grab bag of experience that can overshadow GPA.
My GPA dropped cause of personal issues gotta raise it again then.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Want to get into network security or programming. I can't sure still for programming but currently learning python. I just like client support but no money in hardware

Can't speak too much about programming but I know that for network security, you'll need a background in networking(can't secure something you don't understand). Might be better to invest some time in some networking certs and try to get an entry level network job while pursuing the degree. Also, not sure what you mean about no money in hardware.

Daps
People typically dont care about GPA unless you plan to go to grad school or you are getting a BS and the company typically recruits from that school. Also, im not saying devry is bad. but just know that some people will look down on it. So completing a program there will not help you. But what you learn during the programs and if you can get some certs and experience, that will help you.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
People typically dont care about GPA unless you plan to go to grad school or you are getting a BS and the company typically recruits from that school. Also, im not saying devry is bad. but just So completing a program there will not help you. But what you learn during the programs and if you can get some certs and experience, that will help you.
I'm expecting that. I'm looking for the skills I have a couple of friends who can get me in the door.

Do you think I should find another school?

Last edited: