IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
What type of skills should one have in order to land a desktop support job

Take a computer apart and put it back together again. If you can do that without any trouble then you could probably do desktop support.

As far as getting hired though, if you don't have any experience you'll want to probably get your A+.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
:patrice:Brehs, can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert) crossover into a Network Administrator job OR is her gonna have get some Cisco certs?

I guess similar questions to this would be:

Can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert and/or Security+ cert) crossover into a Security Administrator job?

Can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert and/or Cloud+ cert) crossover into a Cloud Administrator job OR is her gonna have get some AWS/Microsoft Azure/Google Cloud certs?

It really depends on the company. Some care a lot about certs, some care more about experience. :yeshrug:

Personally I'm a Systems Engineer who does a decent amount of stuff with routers/switches and I don't have any Cisco certs at all (been putting it off for ages). But I've been where I work for a while and moved up from Desktop Support so they trust me. If it was somebody off the street they'd probably care more about certs.

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Take a computer apart and put it back together again. If you can do that without any trouble then you could probably do desktop support.

As far as getting hired though, if you don't have any experience you'll want to probably get your A+.

Getting an A and network +, how was your start? What was the initial job search like?

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
How far are you now? In my second week, how’s the job search?

Not really looking for anything now,but the school throws us job openings every other day...I'm grinding trying to get this NET+

You out here in the bx?

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Not really looking for anything now,but the school throws us job openings every other day...I'm grinding trying to get this NET+

You out here in the bx?

Oh word I hear ya man...tougher than the A+?
Yea man who was your instructor Lin?

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Is a cyber security bs degree from WGU credible and could I land a job with it?

Daps
Is a cyber security bs degree from WGU credible and could I land a job with it?
probably not with just a degree. a degree gives you access to more jobs. but it doesnt entitle you to jobs. not to mention cybersecurity jobs are rarely entry level. so no. you will still need to get experience and some certs. It might help you later though.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
probably not with just a degree. a degree gives you access to more jobs. but it doesnt entitle you to jobs. not to mention cybersecurity jobs are rarely entry level. so no. you will still need to get experience and some certs. It might help you later though.

The program apparently has certificate courses within it and I am currently working on help desk

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
The program apparently has certificate courses within it and I am currently working on help desk

I'm all for getting a degree if you don't have one but agree that no degree will guarantee you anything. What area of IT do you want to be in?