IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
:yeshrug: I can't say it has been required for any role I have gone for or am thinking of going for.

Here's an example of the 3 biggest technology companies in the world, none of them require CISSP and these are the job roles I am talking about:

Malware Researcher

Search Jobs - Google Careers

(Apple)
Senior Cyber Security Analyst Job In Any - Apple, Inc. - Energy - Oil / Gas Career
Yea i think its different for different areas. But hey if jobs in singapore dont ask for it, then cool. But in my area(NYC) every single security job that pays well asks for it.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Yea i think its different for different areas. But hey if jobs in singapore dont ask for it, then cool. But in my area(NYC) every single security job that pays well asks for it.

Which jobs are you looking at? I still abide by the point that not all security jobs will ask for it, it just depends what type of role you’re going for and which company

Also in the US I think the CISSP has a higher recognition than around the world due to the DoD standards. I will admit it’s still the most recognised general security certification

BTW the Apple one I posted is the same as the ones they have in California:

C38_C5526-39_CB-494_D-8439-_AA33_FEB24966.jpg

But doing want to distract from the point of this thread

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:patrice:Brehs, can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert) crossover into a Network Administrator job OR is her gonna have get some Cisco certs?

I guess similar questions to this would be:

Can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert and/or Security+ cert) crossover into a Security Administrator job?

Can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert and/or Cloud+ cert) crossover into a Cloud Administrator job OR is her gonna have get some AWS/Microsoft Azure/Google Cloud certs?

Last edited:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
:patrice:Brehs, can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert) crossover into a Network Administrator job OR is her gonna have get some Cisco certs?

I guess similar questions to this would be:

Can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert and/or Security+ cert) crossover into a Security Administrator job?

Can a experienced Systems Administrator (with a Network+ cert and/or Cloud+ cert) crossover into a Cloud Administrator job OR is her gonna have get some AWS/Microsoft Azure/Google Cloud certs?

It really depends on the organization and if you can show you have the knowledge that it would take to pass the cert. But why not just make things easier for yourself and get the cert? You should really be focusing on what do you want to do and what will put you in the best position to get there.

Daps
Which jobs are you looking at? I still abide by the point that not all security jobs will ask for it, it just depends what type of role you’re going for and which company

Also in the US I think the CISSP has a higher recognition than around the world due to the DoD standards. I will admit it’s still the most recognised general security certification

BTW the Apple one I posted is the same as the ones they have in California:

C38_C5526-39_CB-494_D-8439-_AA33_FEB24966.jpg

But doing want to distract from the point of this thread

i would say its rare i see a security job of any sort that pays well(over 100-150k) that does not ask for one. But you are probably right, the US covets it more than other countries. Im not familar with what other countries are asking for. As always its best to target the certs that the jobs you want are asking for. So if thats not CISSP, then target something else. But in my market CISSP is king and significantly increases income and chances of landing a job.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Went on the interview at 9am, and had the offer by 1am. A brutha just got blessed with an offer from a university.Just short of a hunnid. By 35 I should have crossed the threshold. That's 3 years to go And i get to finish school for free luckily

Some college, no cert gang.
Whats the job?

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I have experience lots experience with big name companies since in college and my college internships.
Thats whats up man. I just an email for a Windows Admin. Let me see what these numbers looking like

• Dap
Reactions: IVS