IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anyone work with agile development and have any certs? I'm looking at perhaps the Certified SCRUM master and SAFe SCRUM master certs and just wondering if anyone had any personal experience.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I got the cloudguru on udemy, but didn't know but the other two :salute:
So, which one did you complete and what have you have done with that cert?

I am getting recruiters contact me through LinkedIn but the clients want a lot more experience. I also only went for it because Cloud is hot and I took tons of cloud training at work so I might as well show I have knowledge of cloud by getting the aws in case I ever get laid off. I took the Cissp 2 months before that, my goal is to get in cyber security. I am all about stacking up my resume so when the right opportunity I like come along I can jump on it.

Just applied for an internal position where I can use both..hope it comes through.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:ufdup: power shell is the truth.

Wanna make a new mailbox? New-Mailbox :leon:
A new group? New-Adgroup :ohlawd:
You wanna return an AD account? Get-User :ahh:

Power shell be having a nikka feel like :noah:
Brehs is Powershell hard to use? I passed a basic command line class years ago like in '08 or '09

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
I got a entry level Associate Security Engineer Position, it's my first full time IT job and I'm starting over 40, I'm proud I accomplished something.

Gonna get some experience under my belt and hopefully work upwards.

The good thing is that this is directly related to cyber-security field which is what I wanted to get into.

Money is little but I'm not complaining, I'm moving to Fort Lauder-dale soon to get closer to the job.

It's IDS/IPS monitoring position, it's gonna be boring but I'm glad to get in.
Congrats bruh. What kind of education/credentials do you have? I live in Lauderdale and most security jobs down here want 2+ years of experience plus a Bachelors.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Congrats bruh. What kind of education/credentials do you have? I live in Lauderdale and most security jobs down here want 2+ years of experience plus a Bachelors.

little, it's a entry level position, I just monitor IP traffic and determine good or bad traffic.

I have a certificate from McFatter Technical Center and an old Associate Degree.

Daps
Didn’t see this reply

Tbh my field of security is more malware analysis and the CISSP isn’t really suited to the role

I think from a managerial aspect it’s probably better, but no one in my circle or higher ups have it and jobs in looking at don’t ask for it - that kinda made my decision. All really programmers, malware nerds :yeshrug:

Work will give me training next year and I’ve done all the SANS ones I’ve wanted to do, so probably will do a lil boot camp or so
CISSP is still the most relevant cert for pretty much any security job. I agree its content is management focused. but the cert will help you get a job which is really the goal of a cert. its not meant to teach you about specific areas. Im surprised jobs you are looking at dont ask for it. Pretty much every security role i see asks for it.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Brehs is Powershell hard to use? I passed a basic command line class years ago like in '08 or '09

No it's not hard to use and if you have some programming or CLI experience it's even easier. Like the post you quoted said, powershell is the truth. Like I said if you work in a Windows environment, you really should be learning and using it on a daily basis.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
CISSP is still the most relevant cert for pretty much any security job. I agree its content is management focused. but the cert will help you get a job which is really the goal of a cert. its not meant to teach you about specific areas. Im surprised jobs you are looking at dont ask for it. Pretty much every security role i see asks for it.

:yeshrug: I can't say it has been required for any role I have gone for or am thinking of going for.

Here's an example of the 3 biggest technology companies in the world, none of them require CISSP and these are the job roles I am talking about:

Malware Researcher

Search Jobs - Google Careers

(Apple)
Senior Cyber Security Analyst Job In Any - Apple, Inc. - Energy - Oil / Gas Career

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
Went on the interview at 9am, and had the offer by 1am. A brutha just got blessed with an offer from a university.Just short of a hunnid. By 35 I should have crossed the threshold. That's 3 years to go. Hell possibly sooner with a certain percentage raise. And i get to finish school for free luckily

Some college, no cert gang.

Last edited: