IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
I disagree for a few reasons. One, if you have no prior experience in IT or a degree related to the field it can definitely help you get your first shot. Two, it really isn't that hard to get. You could probably pass it with a month or two of serious studying. Obviously if you know you can take on one of the more higher level certs, then the do that instead of the A+ but the average person looking to get into IT is not passing the Net+ in a month or two of studying. Do I agree with him that alot of stuff covered in the A+ will do you no good in real world? Yeah. But I believe some of the stuff it does covers is very valuable.

Did he specify any reason as to why you should get that over the CCNA?

I think he is going on my lack of experience. Also probably due to me getting the A+ and it's the only cert I have.

The only other reason I can think of is to get general knowledge of networking and to build some sort of foundation. I'm already studying for the CCENT. I noticed there is some overlap in information between the network+ and the CCENT.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I think he is going on my lack of experience. Also probably due to me getting the A+ and it's the only cert I have.

The only other reason I can think of is to get general knowledge of networking and to build some sort of foundation. I'm already studying for the CCENT. I noticed there is some overlap in information between the network+ and the CCENT.

Well experience matters. Ever since I updated my linkedin with CISSP and AWS(( I have no experience with either but I work on wide area networks) I have been getting an interview with a recruiter a week but smaller companies tend to want someone with lots of experience and bigger companies have their own recruiters. Eventually someone will take a chance. I would keep laying the foundation.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I was gonna use career academy from groupon like i did for my CompTIAs but they don't have interactive labs/sims.

Im about to check out that site tho
@Silkk Is that still the case that career academy doesn't have interactive labs? So you wouldn't recommend them for the CompTIA classes?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Guess this is why I'm not in IT, A+ and 2 year ain't enough, I work for a school and they don't even interview me, need more certs.

Its not really that. You cats are trying to get desktop support/ system admin jobs with no help desk experience. I would recommend checking out your local call centers and see if they have any type of help desk support gigs and work that job for a year or 2

@King Sun What's the difference between a help desk support job & a Desktop support job?

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Should've took that shyt. Nothing matters more when it comes to security jobs.

Didn’t see this reply

Tbh my field of security is more malware analysis and the CISSP isn’t really suited to the role

I think from a managerial aspect it’s probably better, but no one in my circle or higher ups have it and jobs in looking at don’t ask for it - that kinda made my decision. All really programmers, malware nerds :yeshrug:

Work will give me training next year and I’ve done all the SANS ones I’ve wanted to do, so probably will do a lil boot camp or so

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Didn’t see this reply

Tbh my field of security is more malware analysis and the CISSP isn’t really suited to the role

I think from a managerial aspect it’s probably better, but no one in my circle or higher ups have it and jobs in looking at don’t ask for it - that kinda made my decision. All really programmers, malware nerds :yeshrug:

I feel the same way. I'm still under the EXP requirement but i'd rather get something from SANS or OSCP than be a CISSP "associate". I have no plans to enter into security management anytime soon so...

:yeshrug:

I'll still probably have to pick it up anyway just to help make clients feel more at ease