IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
obviously they'll see depending on my answers, I don't know why this dude called me, I mean seriously... I don't wanna embarrass myself with this shyt again.

If you are planning for a long term career in this field, prepare to be embarrassed over and over again. A great deal of IT and programming is repetitive exposure to failure and grinding. There is always someone who knows more than you, or who expects a level of knowledge from you you simply might not have. There's no sin in that - all you can do is keep humble, stay professional and hit the books

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
CBT Nuggets is a IT training website. There are a few I would recommend as well like Pluralsight and Careeracademy.

I prefer those to just reading straight from a book because of the video/lab training.

:lupe: Do you fukk with ITPro.tv?

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Anyone into Software Defined Networks? It is an extremely in demand skill and will be in the Future.

"
DN stands for "software-defined networks," and it's a new way to build corporate networks. It relies on software to do many of the functions that used to be done by networking hardware switches and routers.

SDN technology is being offered by every major network-hardware provider, a slew of startups, and VMware. It's an especially popular way to handle the networking part of a cloud-computing data center.

Pay for SDN-related jobs has climbed 12% over last year,"

"
No. 17: SDN is worth $127,464"

http://www.businessinsider.com/tech...u-120000-2016-2/#no-1-hana-is-worth-154749-40

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Co-worker of mine quit(or got promoted) to a job he was working at, at the place I work at. Said he's getting paid triple of what he was making now and it was career advancement based more than anything I was a mixture of :mjcry:and :salute: at the same time motivated to pursue this IT stuff more. Anyone wanna school me on what it is they here based off the website http://www.entelegent.com/

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
Damn my account finally got approved after all this time. I've been lurking this thread like crazy. I finally got into IT doing a PC tech contractor gig, but I'm not sure what route to take. I want to do cyber security, but do I need a degree? So far I only have a Sec+ but I'm looking at the ethical hacking cert next. I want something more permanent. It just feels good to finally get in the door somewhat.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Is this officially the end of the CCNA?
Is the CCNA worth it in 2017?
Maybe or maybe not, but this video will give you somethings to think about moving forward. Please check out the link below and leave a comment with your thoughts. Hope you enjoy the video!

5 Certs You’ll Need for Success in IT
https://goo.gl/9HdDrA

5 Certs You’ll Need for Success in IT
September 22, 2017 | Everything CBTN IT Careers Training Tips - By Team Nuggets

9_22-copy-1-1024x575.png

Often, newcomers to IT can have a difficult time landing their first job due to a lack of relevant work experience. However, certifications can pick up the slack on a resume by demonstrating acquired knowledge, as well as your commitment to learning new skills and technologies. Individual certifications can run the gamut from broad-ranging to intensely focused — skillsets commonly described as either a mile wide and an inch deep, or a mile deep and an inch wide.

Until you have settled into a specific niche, you’ll want to expose yourself to a broad skill set. Earning any of the following in-demand certifications can serve as a powerful bullet-point on your resume while providing you with the skills needed to tackle common IT issues.

1. CompTIA A+
https://www.cbtnuggets.com/certification-playlist/CompTIA/273063

The CompTIA A+ cert is widely considered the de facto standard first IT certification you should earn, and should definitely be at the top of your list. Training for A+ will provide a comprehensive, vendor-neutral foundation to support all of your future IT pursuits.

This cert also supplies the necessary credential for landing many entry-level positions, providing solid footing on the IT career ladder. There is some debate whether newbies should start with CompTIA’s A+ or Network+ cert. You’ll have to make the decision for yourself, but either way, you can’t go wrong.

Here are our A+ training courses:

2. CompTIA Network+
https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/comptia-networkplus-n10-006

The network touches every aspect of IT. Even if you have no desire to specialize in networking, the knowledge required to pass CompTIA’s Network+ exam is required in most IT disciplines.

So, it makes sense to pursue your Network+ training as early as possible. The exam is regularly updated, with the current version incorporating cutting-edge cloud and virtualization topics.

Here’s our Network+ training course:

3. Microsoft MCSA: Windows Server 2016
https://www.cbtnuggets.com/certification-playlist/Microsoft/366585

This certification serves as an important first step into the world of Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE). The Microsoft MCSA: Windows Server 2016 is another one of those “big bang for the buck” certifications, where the skills gained are just as important as the credential itself. For a newcomer to the IT field, there are few actions you could take that will get you up to speed faster than pursuing your MCSA.

It is recommended that this cert is pursued after achieving Network+ because it builds on many of the topics introduced in the Network+ curriculum. While this cert is not vendor-neutral, it does provide a background in IT concepts that apply to all environments.

This is a substantially more in-depth cert than A+ or Network+, requiring a high level of commitment to achieve. Three exams are required, and training for the exams typically requires actual practice with a virtual lab or home lab. Fortunately, CBT Nuggets offers several courses to assist in acquiring this cert, complete with virtual labs!

Here’s our training for Microsoft MCSA: Server 2016:

4. CompTIA Security+

Corporations have recently been taking a beating when it comes to InfoSec (we’re looking at you, Equifax). As reports of ever-larger (and more expensive) breaches continually flood the news, businesses are recognizing the need for more personnel who are specifically trained in IT security. New IT hopefuls can hit the ground running with a security cert.

Earning CompTIA Security+ certification demonstrates a broad level knowledge of IT security and compliance. Recertification is required every three years and can be accomplished by training for senior-level certs.

Our Security+ video training:

5. AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
https://aws.amazon.com/certification/certified-solutions-architect-associate/

As a newcomer to the IT field, you actually have one important advantage over the old guard. Recent years have seen major technological advancements in IT. Experienced IT pros are playing catch-up to adopt cloud and virtualization strategies, whereas you have the ability to begin your career on the cutting edge of IT, including cloud-based services such as Amazon Web Services.

Backups, file storage, development environments, and burst capacity are rapidly moving to the cloud. The practical applications will continue to grow in coming years. You can demonstrate your commitment to the future by getting an early start into the cloud computing paradigm with an AWS-CSA Associate certification.

Some of our entry-level AWS training:

Among the ever-expanding list of IT certifications, these five stand out as being several of highest in demand among employers. They also provide the foundation of skills and knowledge necessary for a rewarding IT career. Even as a newcomer, with a few of these certs under your belt you can stand out to employers by demonstrating your knowledge, skills, and commitment in a tangible way.

:lupe: Y'all agree with this?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

:lupe: Y'all agree with this?

Idk I'd still grab the CCNA over the N+....

N+ is non proprietary and teach straight networking but you learn the basics in the CCNA and Cisco is EVERYWHERE. I rarely see jobs looking for N+ unless its helpdesk level.

People forget the CCNA is still an entry level cert. So obviosuly you won't learn all about VPN's, firewalls etc. Anyone in IT should realize one cert wont teach you all, its a lot of self study with this field