IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Brehs... how long would it take to learn basic active directory for lvl 1/2 help desk.. minor stuff like resetting passwords, adding users/computers etc. Was looking at a few videos and it doesn't seem that difficult.. Could I learn enough in 2 weeks to get through an interview :ohhh:

I had to pass up like 3 different jobs because of lack of AD experience.. a hiring manager just called me a few mins ago[on a holiday weekend] and told me my resume looks good for this lvl 2 helpdesk, but he wanted to know if I had any experience with AD.. I told him no :snoop:

I don't wanna take my foot off the throttle on my ccnp studies, but if I can lab my way to some AD experience in a few weeks I'd definitely do that then get back to ccnp.
:jbhmm: This is why leaning into getting a MTA cert in Windows Server Administration. I notice Active Directory comes up a lot in job descriptions for IT Help desk jobs.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
:jbhmm: This is why leaning into getting a MTA cert in Windows Server Administration. I notice Active Directory comes up a lot in job descriptions for IT Help desk jobs.
Active Directory really isn't hard to learn at all. You could do it in a day

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

When they mean AD in helpdesk jobs they mean the very basic stuff like resetting passwords, enabling/disabling/moving objects, etc. All of which you can learn from watching a few Youtube videos. Yes getting a MTA would probably help you land a helpdesk job(never met anyone who has one so not sure valuable it is) but you would be better off focusing on a cert that carries more weight and tests knowledge on current technology.

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
99% of companies run an Active Directory domain

Ok, so imma ask my professor to teach me AD I'm trying to leave School ready for employment. I'm pretty sure with a A+ and net+ and AD experience I should land a solid entry level position to kick-start my new career path.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:ohhh:I just found out that you literally only gotta pass 1 of the tests that go towards an MCSA to get your MCP (I previously thought you had to get a full MCSA, MCSD, or MCSE cert to be MCP-certified). What's the easiest MSCA test? I'm leaning towards the 70-697.

@Silkk @xXMASHERXx

Silkk

Daps
:ohhh:I just found out that you literally only gotta pass 1 of the tests that go towards an MCSA to get your MCP (I previously thought you had to get a full MCSA, MCSD, or MCSE cert to be MCP-certified). What's the easiest MSCA test? I'm leaning towards the 70-697.

@Silkk @xXMASHERXx
Probably but why, MCPs hold zero weight. May as well take three and get your MCSE

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

@Silkk @xXMASHERXx

I apologise if I missed it but what is your background? Me personally I would focus on Server 2016 or Azure.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

@Silkk @xXMASHERXx

Probably but why, MCPs hold zero weight. May as well take three and get your MCSE
You sure? I just did a Indeed.com search for "MCP" in Dallas, TX. 60 job listings just showed up. Also there was a poster early on in this thread heavily recommending folks to get their MCP over the A+/Net+..

I apologise if I missed it but what is your background? Me personally I would focus on Server 2016 or Azure.
I'm currently going to school right now for CompTIA/IT workforce training. I'm also trying to get certs (besides the CompTIA certs) on the side to bolster my resume.

Silkk

Daps
You sure? I just did a Indeed.com search for "MCP" in Dallas, TX. 60 job listings just showed up. Also there was a poster early on in this thread heavily recommending folks to get their MCP over the A+/Net+..
Yeah, but I mean why stop at just one?

MCSA -> MCSE has a lot more clout

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Yeah, but I mean why stop at just one?

MCSA -> MCSE has a lot more clout
Just from reading this thread, A full MCSA (let alone a MCSE) is worthless to somebody who doesn't have any IT experience. I'll worry about completing the MCSA after i get the first job.

Silkk

Daps
Just from reading this thread, A full MCSA (let alone a MCSE) is worthless to somebody who doesn't have any IT experience. I'll worry about completing the MCSA after i get the first job.
That counts as experience to some companies

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

I'm currently going to school right now for CompTIA/IT workforce training. I'm also trying to get certs (besides the CompTIA certs) on the side to bolster my resume.

For now I would focus on completing the training and then whatever certs they prepare you for. If you're in the Dallas area I would be very surprised if you couldn't find an entry level position with a A+ and Net+.