IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I got a interview but I don't know if I'm good enough to get the job, it's a entry level engineering job:francis:

I got a technical certificate in cybersecurity and I'm trying to get my foot in the door, I have little experience.

No active directory experience yet

The guys says it's just basic Networking knowledge:francis:

I'm going to embarrass myself again:francis:

This shyt really is a all day grind, constantly in front of a book.
Do you what kind of hardware you will be working on?

But for basic networking, know what DNS is, DHCP, what a subnet mask is and what is represents, layer 2 and 3 addressing, difference between a router and switch, difference between TCP/udp and when to use each. Any troubleshooting questions, always say that a first step would be to ping the device or gateway, check cabling, and that you look for IP conflicts.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Okay I went. I have a speech impediment so I hope they understand.

Anyways the title is security engineer but basically the job is monitoring network packets and calling the person if something fails.

He just asked me what port is http TCp, dns, ftp and asked me to explain the TCp process.

That's pretty much the job and it's 12 hour shifts.

Basically this is a ids, ips company selling their products to companies to monitor network traffic.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Okay I went. I have a speech impediment so I hope they understand.

Anyways the title is security engineer but basically the job is monitoring network packets and calling the person if something fails.

He just asked me what port is http TCp, dns, ftp and asked me to explain the TCp process.

That's pretty much the job and it's 12 hour shifts.

Basically this is a ids, ips company selling their products to companies to monitor network traffic.
Sounds like a NOC/SOC position

looks good on the resume and in a year you can get something better than dealing with bullshyt 12 hr shifts

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Sounds like a NOC/SOC position

looks good on the resume and in a year you can get something better than dealing with bullshyt 12 hr shifts

props for the knowledge, hoping to get it, will continue the grind.

I didn't even know jobs like this where in South Florida smh...

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I didn't even know jobs like this where in South Florida smh...

Are you familiar with the power of the mind? Negativity is a reocurring theme in your posts. You should read Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins. That book changed my life.

It took me 3 yrs to get in the field. Ironically enough, it didn't happen until I was content with what I had, and confident that my time was coming.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Are you familiar with the power of the mind? Negativity is a reocurring theme in your posts. You should read Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins. That book changed my life.

It took me 3 yrs to get in the field. Ironically enough, it didn't happen until I was content with what I had, and confident that my time was coming.

Have a rough life man, I never rely caught a break and never went to school so I'm trying to turn it around, I try pretty hard for my age. I just dont quit.

I battled alot of issues, forgive the tone.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Been in this JavaScript programming classe for about two months now. While i do enjoy it to a certain degree, idk if its something i could see myself doing as a carrer.

Been reading through this thread and im thinking about going the cert route idk :patrice:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps