IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
I meant location. If it's family owned I understand.
I work in Rock Hill,Sc which is small with very little tech jobs except the telecom company we have here im moving down to Columbia,SC soon which likely increase my chances of getting a better job with better pay because we're doing tasks that warrant us getting paid alot more than just 8.50 an hour plus im in school too but not for computers

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Crazy feeling when companies (not recruiters) are hitting you up for jobs :wow:

This company that is located downtown NYC hit me up yesterday. I threw out a crazy number told dude yesterday I wont take less than $130k :dead: they scheduled me for an interview next week :dead:

I dont even think the company is worth it from the reviews im reading on glassdoor but ill go just for the interview experience

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Crazy feeling when companies (not recruiters) are hitting you up for jobs :wow:

This company that is located downtown NYC hit me up yesterday. I threw out a crazy number told dude yesterday I wont take less than $130k :dead: they scheduled me for an interview next week :dead:

I dont even think the company is worth it from the reviews im reading on glassdoor but ill go just for the interview experience

130 isnt a crazy number in NYC

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I been thinking of stacking the A+ cert, CCENT cert, & a MTA IT Infrastructure cert to stand out from other folks with just a A+ trying to break into IT.

Anybody got experience with getting an MTA cert? How was it?
Got mine. Wasn't very difficult, but it's buyer beware for your MTA cert. I know that Microsoft is talking about deprecating the entry level cert's. Your best bet would be to scope the market in the area where you plan on working to see if the MTA cert is in demand. If your research determines that there is a demand for that cert and your pay increase would be higher than the cost of preparing for and taking the exam, then forgot it. Otherwise, don't waste your time for letters that won't even be acknowledged by the firms you're pursuing. Better off using that time and money on cert's that would make a difference.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ohhh well then yea thats why..From what I see other areas in IT can hit those same numbers though maybe just not as soon

Yep. In the long-run, all IT areas pretty much hit parity in terms of compensation. But developers/engineers and data scientists splash in earlier. (Why does it keep trying to include my comment in the original quote??)

Last edited:

Light

Pro
Daps
Where should I start if I have no experience? I plan on enrolling into the IT major in my school sometime this year so I just want to get my foot into the door before I start taking classes. I've taken a few programming classes and I've enjoyed them, but the math required coursework is pretty daunting which is why I decided to switch to IT. If any breh can link me to videos/books or anything that will help a novice that would be great.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yep. In the long-run, all IT areas pretty much hit parity in terms of compensation. But developers/engineers and data scientists splash in earlier. (Why does it keep trying to include my comment in the original quote??)
Exactly they hit it much quicker

But I think if you hustle you can push to those types of salary quick as well, I made nice jumps and I have 4 yrs experience total

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
I work in Rock Hill,Sc which is small with very little tech jobs except the telecom company we have here im moving down to Columbia,SC soon which likely increase my chances of getting a better job with better pay because we're doing tasks that warrant us getting paid alot more than just 8.50 an hour plus im in school too but not for computers

Makes much more sense. I'm not as in tuned as most on here but I knew for a fact that with your credentials you should be making at least double what you're making.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I got a interview but I don't know if I'm good enough to get the job, it's a entry level engineering job:francis:

I got a technical certificate in cybersecurity and I'm trying to get my foot in the door, I have little experience.

No active directory experience yet

The guys says it's just basic Networking knowledge:francis:

I'm going to embarrass myself again:francis:

This shyt really is a all day grind, constantly in front of a book.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
I got a interview but I don't know if I'm good enough to get the job, it's a entry level engineering job:francis:

I got a technical certificate in cybersecurity and I'm trying to get my foot in the door, I have little experience.

No active directory experience yet

The guys says it's just basic Networking knowledge:francis:

I'm going to embarrass myself again:francis:

This shyt really is a all day grind, constantly in front of a book.

Make sure in the interview you emphasis that you're willing to learn and theyll work with you.

But dont make them think you dont know shyt at all:whoa:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Make sure in the interview you emphasis that you're willing to learn and theyll work with you.

But dont make them think you dont know shyt at all:whoa:

obviously they'll see depending on my answers, I don't know why this dude called me, I mean seriously... I don't wanna embarrass myself with this shyt again.