IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
It's one of the best things you can learn. It such a powerful tool and life so much easier.
Yep, and now that I do know it somewhat its time to update the resume with the :duck: and see if I can get something bigger to pop off:mjgrin:

Get in the interview and hit them with that

full

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Congrats, breh!! Well done.

If you don't mind my asking, what cert's do you have? And how did you build your career (like degrees, cert's, and years in the industry).

I have a certification in a configuration management too. Got a CCNA years ago but never used it. Tried for a RHCSA but didn't pass it..most of what I do is on Ubuntu anyways lol and I personally use arch Linux a lot.

About 7 years professionally using Linux. .on my own I've used it longer.

Pretty much took opportunities where I could but it was not without it's share of set backs. I worked in web hosting for 4.5 years in cloud computing which helped my career a lot.

A company basically gave me a chance and I took it!

Last edited:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
can u list some of the benefits :patrice:

briefly worked with powershell at work, wasnt sure if i should invest more time into it

Yes you should invest more time into it. Especially if you work in a Windows environment. If you can learn Powershell really well, then you should have no problem learning other scripting/programming languages. Microsoft has integrated Powershell with many of its products which allows you to manage them without having to open up different GUIs for each. Just make sure you have the appropriate modules installed and you're good to go. The best benefit imo is that you can automate so many of your daily tasks and the ones you can't, you can script it.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
I have been working in at this entry level job for a month and its mostly help desk along with some pc repair. I noticed almost all of my coworkers either don't have any certs or just one which is the A+.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Coli brehs don't clown me but I need to learn Excel

What is the best way (time efficient way) of doing this?

Is there certification for this? and how useful is getting certified?

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston

YouTube tutorials on the specific things you need to learn. There probably is a certificate for it but it would be a waste. Just learn what you need.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps

Find a reason you need it. I had to start compiling a ton of data so learned pivots and lookups really quick. Outside of that, there's a ton of free material online.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Not to generalize but don't be them. Learn what you can, get a degree, get certs and then get out.

Well some of my coworkers handle servers and some go onsite to business clients. I do agree about making a plan to get out. I'm planning on getting the CCENT this year and getting the CCNA early in 2018.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Waiting on a job offer is draining. I was so elated last Wed to get one. Now I've been waiting a week to get the paperwork to me this week. I got a verbal offer last week. I guess I'm waiting on one decision maker to sign off on it according to the recruiter.

What worries me is that the job listing is still up and I saw it reposted on LinkedIn. Maybe it's for multiple positions? I don't know. Knowing that I got the verbal offer should ease me some since I had several arduous interviews to get to that point.

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
Waiting on a job offer is draining. I was so elated last Wed to get one. Now I've been waiting a week to get the paperwork to me this week. I got a verbal offer last week. I guess I'm waiting on one decision maker to sign off on it according to the recruiter.

What worries me is that the job listing is still up and I saw it reposted on LinkedIn. Maybe it's for multiple positions? I don't know. Knowing that I got the verbal offer should ease me some since I had several arduous interviews to get to that point.

Rooting for you breh.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Linkedin often reposts jobs until the role is closed by poster.