IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Decided in December I'm getting a bs in cybersecurity and Information Assurance. I needed a bs in IT or to do the Masters program. Hopefully December I'll be enrolled and rolling.:jawalrus:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Decided in December I'm getting a bs in cybersecurity and Information Assurance. I needed a bs in IT or to do the Masters program. Hopefully December I'll be enrolled and rolling.:jawalrus:

Why do you need a BS in IT?

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I'm getting a bs in cybersecurity and Information Assurance.

:mjlol:

Don't let them play you, breh. Time is money. While I don't think you need the degree. I can't let you take that L. Go to UMUC. You can start their MS program with an unrelated undergrad degree. They cater to minorities, are online, accredited, and have a great IT program.

Sidebar: For those that are interested - ask Google, not me. :ufdup:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Anyone know anything about Google's Information Technology Residency Program? I have an interview with an Operations Engineer how should I prepare?

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Why do you need a BS in IT?

I want to move on from service desk work which is client support. I make good salary now, but want a more dignified position with the potential to do something that really interests me.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I want to move on from service desk work which is client support. I make good salary now, but want a more dignified position with the potential to do something that really interests me.

And they told you to get a BS in IT to do that? The best technicians/admins I have worked with didn't even have a degree. What do you want to do in IT? You would be better off spending the time and money on getting some training in that rather than getting another BS. I'll never knock anyone getting an education cause I believe it is truly valuable but in this situation it would be foolish imo.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
And they told you to get a BS in IT to do that? The best technicians/admins I have worked with didn't even have a degree. What do you want to do in IT? You would be better off spending the time and money on getting some training in that rather than getting another BS. I'll never knock anyone getting an education cause I believe it is truly valuable but in this situation it would be foolish imo.

I'm still very up in the air. I can see myself getting a certificate in some based security program. I want to have a degree in cybersecurity. Eventually looking to work in government level or top name company. Also, my interest in security has me willing to do this. I think having a degree sometimes show the effort you took to get there. I can be wrong. I am a strong believer in certain as well. I am up in the air still tbh. All opinions are appreciated. I'm looking to work in cybersecurity due to the job market and interests

Daps
I'm still very up in the air. I can see myself getting a certificate in some based security program. I want to have a degree in cybersecurity. Eventually looking to work in government level or top name company. Also, my interest in security has me willing to do this. I think having a degree sometimes show the effort you took to get there. I can be wrong. I am a strong believer in certain as well. I am up in the air still tbh. All opinions are appreciated. I'm looking to work in cybersecurity due to the job market and interests
Get the degree. You never know how the market will turn. Especially in Security. 10 years from now when everyone wants to get in, they may have the liberty to be picky and require degrees. I already see many senior roles require one. Better to have a degree and not need it than to need it and not have it when its too late. So unless you are so technically skilled and superior to your competition that you arent worried about having any issues, better to have that "career insurance" of a degree. :takedat:

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Get the degree. You never know how the market will turn. Especially in Security. 10 years from now when everyone wants to get in, they may have the liberty to be picky and require degrees. I already see many senior roles require one. Better to have a degree and not need it than to need it and not have it when its too late. So unless you are so technically skilled and superior to your competition that you arent worried about having any issues, better to have that "career insurance" of a degree. :takedat:

That's my thought

Henryflo1

All Star
Daps
Got more than enough experience for a desktop support job in nyc, but no call backs :martin::gucci:

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
what would be the next step after doing help-desk for 1-2 years.
You need to be adding skills to your repertoire. You don't necessarily even have to have certs in whatever area you decide to study. Just something that shows that you were being proactive outside of the mudane tasks of help desk. Something you can point to in an interview and say that you've been studying this topic in your spare time and now you want to apply that skill in a real world environment.

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
You need to be adding skills to your repertoire. You don't necessarily even have to have certs in whatever area you decide to study. Just something that shows that you were being proactive outside of the mudane tasks of help desk. Something you can point to in an interview and say that you've been studying this topic in your spare time and now you want to apply that skill in a real world environment.

oh i see. but what about in terms of Certs. what would be the next logical step