IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
MCSE, network +, or security+. Depends what direction you are looking to head into. Also, inquire about acquiring more responsibility for the possibility or moving up in your current company

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Got more than enough experience for a desktop support job in nyc, but no call backs :martin::gucci:
Remove your personal information and post you resume.

I've been slacking on this RHCSA.. plus Irma just fukked up my whole vibe and got me feeling lazy.. if anyone else is going for the redhat, shoot me a PM so we can exchange some ideas. I need to grab this shyt then get on AWS asap.

Any ansible heads here? How hard is it to pick up? How did you get started?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Got a job offer brehs. Making the same as I was making before, but with more equity and better benefits.

I still need to adjust to the market. I want to get a AWS certification and also improve my programming skills. Luckily I will be working with Kubernetes, Ceph, and other fun stuff to get me going.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Unless you know someone at a company, you likely won't get a call back without certs for entry level. If you already have IT experience on your resume, that's a different story. Are you working full time now? If you're not working full time or working a low paying job, I would suggest Per Scholas, NPower, or a program similar to these. You go through training and at the end, you can apply for jobs through their network. That's the single biggest reason to do it is to have that network you can leverage after the training.

A couple of similar programs like Per Scholas & NPower, I've found out about are:

1. "Year Up".

Link: Future Students | Year Up

2. In the Dallas metro area, the DCCCD (Dallas County Community College District) got a program called "WorkReadyU".

A couple links: dcccd.edu/WorkReadyU & dcccd.edu/FreeTraining

I haven't got an email from Per Scholas since I did the 1st interview Monday last week, so I guess I'll be doing the WorkReadyU program.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Finally got to the point where I understand powershell. Now I just need to learn commands.

shyt is literally just a prettier command prompt.

One of my goals for the year. Started reading an intro to network security textbook to sort of prepare for school.

I start early by nature. Especially if I can start reading similar information for free

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just got a job offer and waiting for the finalization of everything. I'm tempted to slightly counter offer, but I actually have no bargaining chips other than the industry range for this role is a bit more.

I was just thinking of asking for $2500 - 4000 more. Nothing big on a salary that is in the mid 90s right now. With equity the package is great for me though.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I just got a job offer and waiting for the finalization of everything. I'm tempted to slightly counter offer, but I actually have no bargaining chips other than the industry range for this role is a bit more.

I was just thinking of asking for $2500 - 4000 more. Nothing big on a salary that is in the mid 90s right now. With equity the package is great for me though.
6 figure gang :salute:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

What company? Pm if needed

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Congrats, breh!! Well done.

If you don't mind my asking, what cert's do you have? And how did you build your career (like degrees, cert's, and years in the industry).