IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Hello all, I'm currently working as a senior associate for a great company. I have a bachelor's but not in IT. I get paid fairly well, but want to preferably go into network security or cyber security. Should I get another Bachelor's degree or a Graduate Certificate which I'm thinking of getting. Also, I would want to do this online. How are WGU or SNHU as far as reputable places in the job market. Thanks in advance

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Hello all, I'm currently working as a senior associate for a great company. I have a bachelor's but not in IT. I get paid fairly well, but want to preferably go into network security or cyber security. Should I get another Bachelor's degree or a Graduate Certificate which I'm thinking of getting. Also, I would want to do this online. How are WGU or SNHU as far as reputable places in the job market. Thanks in advance
Don't get another bachelor's that would be a waste of time and money, if you can get a scholarship get a masters in MIS, MBA, or MSM to go with your certs. If you must.
Don't know how WGU or SNHU rate to people but do you have any local colleges and universities? You might be able to hit their distance learning programs or night classes for less money.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Don't get another bachelor's that would be a waste of time and money, if you can get a scholarship get a masters in MIS, MBA, or MSM to go with your certs. If you must.
Don't know how WGU or SNHU rate to people but do you have any local colleges and universities? You might be able to hit their distance learning programs or night classes for less money.

I was thinking the same. The reason I need to do online is I am a busy full time father and work full-time. The schedule is too hectic to do on campus. Hence the reason I'm considering all online. Can anyone recommend an online college that is reputable? My job is providing tuition reimbursement. starting December

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
I was thinking the same. The reason I need to do online is I am a busy full time father and work full-time. The schedule is too hectic to do on campus. Hence the reason I'm considering all online. Can anyone recommend an online college that is reputable? My job is providing tuition reimbursement. starting December

https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/mba/rankings

Filter for the area which interests you. Some hiring folks still look down on online degrees so pick a school in your home state if you can IMO.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I working on the CCENT right now.

I have the A+ and I have a job mostly doing PC repair. If I get this cert will I be able to actually work on equipment or not? Sorry if my question is dumb or doesn't make sense.
Depends on the situation, most likely not.

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
For anyone that has been in IT for awhile, what is your experience dealing with people who have been in desktop support for over 5-7 years? My job now has me around people who have been in a desktop role for almost a decade. I can't imagine staying in the role more than a year or two. For example, one of the end users had an issue opening a shared calendar in Outlook. The end user just happened to see me and the "senior" support guy walking by as he was showing me the office. When we go back to our area, he said I hate these annoying types of issues and just sends an e-mail to the admin that the person couldn't open the calendar. I felt bad because now I felt responsible since the end user also saw me there. I'm thinking to myself wtf kind of service is that.

Support is a great way to get your feet wet because you deal with a variety of issues. However, none of it ever goes deep enough to where you can really specialize in one area. The goal now is to learn scripting and configuration management to get the heck out of end user support.

This is what i said earlier in this thread in regards to desktop support

Also desktop support is another place not to stay long at....some roles will pay you nicely but that shyt is IT purgatory also. :ufdup:

I've always met older dudes in desktop who were smart yes but lazy and comfortable with doing simple tickets and getting a check.

Get your experience and get out asap.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
I working on the CCENT right now.

I have the A+ and I have a job mostly doing PC repair. If I get this cert will I be able to actually work on equipment or not? Sorry if my question is dumb or doesn't make sense.

Doubtful. You may need to find your break elsewhere but I'd look at MSP's in your area. They tend to be understaffed and you can learn a ton of skills quickly.

Lex218

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Does anyone know about Filemaker? I work at a call center doing ios chat support. On Monday, I'm switching to filemaker. I have no idea what they do but I'm tired of taking chats and I figured this would look good on my resume since I already did 1 year of chat support.