IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
I'm ready to learn where do i start, I'm honesty just tryna get this going cus it aint shyt in philly and college aint work out so i dropped out

Google the class schedule for the university you dropped out of (or a better one if one is close but I'm assuming you still have a parking pass for the one you left)...find some freshman/sophomore level computer/networking classes that have large lecture halls and show up for them.

No one takes attendance in those large ass classes and half the students won't show up for class and will give up their seats anyway. Even though you're not a student, no one will question if you are or not. You can even get away with asking the professor questions...because once again, why would they question whether you're a student or not? If you really don't know much about IT this is the most cost effective way to get some knowledge.

The more time efficient way is to target a cert and pay/find books and training material for it...the negative is that you'll have less support if you don't understand something.

Apply for hella help desk, IT help desk positions so you can get some experience

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
If you know basic computer shyt, I would go for the ccna. It's two test so start with the icnd1 portion.

You recommend it over Network+?

Yes. You learn all the networking concepts and fundamentals plus the ability to configure Cisco devices. No brainier for me.

Realistically what kind of job would someone who skipped getting a A+ cert, got a CCENT cert instead, & but has no IT experience get?

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Realistically what kind of job would someone who skipped getting a A+ cert, got a CCENT cert instead, & but has no IT experience get?
You would still have to go through some sort of support role to get that much needed experience but I would say your tenure there would be much shorter than someone without a ccent. Bypassing the A+ is assuming that you have some decent troubleshooting skills, are resourceful, and that you would be able to figure out most issues that are thrown your way.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You would still have to go through some sort of support role to get that much needed experience but I would say your tenure there would be much shorter than someone without a ccent. Bypassing the A+ is assuming that you have some decent troubleshooting skills, are resourceful, and that you would be able to figure out most issues that are thrown your way.
I wouldn't waste my time with the A+ because of the limited earning potential.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Bout to make another account and rip all their server videos :lolbron:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
You recommend I get myself a Tablet? I usually read eBooks in my phone, so I never bothered with Tablets.
Might as well. You should be able to pick up the basic Amazon Fire tablet for like 80 bucks. I think it has 4G of storage which is decent if your files aren't too large. I have one with a few hundred PDFs on it and it does the job fine.

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
You recommend I get myself a Tablet? I usually read eBooks in my phone, so I never bothered with Tablets.

You can do all the LMS on your phone but typing is a bytch for me. ..I like the book/keyboard the nostalgia of it all is a muthafukka for me lol.

If you have Internet service at home and a decent laptop or pc u can get by with your phone easily. You will get so many pdfs files so u should be ok.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps

The key isn't reading but you should find a system to take and organize notes. This is not easily done through a phone so I'd suggest a laptop/tablet.

Spin

All Star
Daps
For anyone that has been in IT for awhile, what is your experience dealing with people who have been in desktop support for over 5-7 years? My job now has me around people who have been in a desktop role for almost a decade. I can't imagine staying in the role more than a year or two. For example, one of the end users had an issue opening a shared calendar in Outlook. The end user just happened to see me and the "senior" support guy walking by as he was showing me the office. When we go back to our area, he said I hate these annoying types of issues and just sends an e-mail to the admin that the person couldn't open the calendar. I felt bad because now I felt responsible since the end user also saw me there. I'm thinking to myself wtf kind of service is that.

Support is a great way to get your feet wet because you deal with a variety of issues. However, none of it ever goes deep enough to where you can really specialize in one area. The goal now is to learn scripting and configuration management to get the heck out of end user support.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
For anyone that has been in IT for awhile, what is your experience dealing with people who have been in desktop support for over 5-7 years? My job now has me around people who have been in a desktop role for almost a decade. I can't imagine staying in the role more than a year or two. For example, one of the end users had an issue opening a shared calendar in Outlook. The end user just happened to see me and the "senior" support guy walking by as he was showing me the office. When we go back to our area, he said I hate these annoying types of issues and just sends an e-mail to the admin that the person couldn't open the calendar. I felt bad because now I felt responsible since the end user also saw me there. I'm thinking to myself wtf kind of service is that.

Support is a great way to get your feet wet because you deal with a variety of issues. However, none of it ever goes deep enough to where you can really specialize in one area. The goal now is to learn scripting and configuration management to get the heck out of end user support.

You on the right path. Use that time to get the experience, build your skills up and get the fukk out of there, man.

Make sure you have a plan and follow it. Getting trapped in the support is one of the worst thing that can happen to anybody
mjcry1.png