IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I see a remote gig with a Start up, gonna apply for the hell of it and see if I can work part time because it's a junior role but in an area I want to get experience in.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I am not sure where to put this but maybe some brehs can help me on phone etiquette.

So there is job I really want and this lady called me and was like this place is interested in you, how quickly can you come in etc etc. Basically she wanted me to come in and start right way. So I then say, that place seems far is there any place that is closer and she is like yeah this town that is closer to me has positions and I was like that would be perfect. She seemed impressed by my qualifications. And then she goes we are hiring all the time for that location. So she then goes "ok I am going to email you info about the positions tomorrow. She was like I am looking forward to meeting you etc etc. I didn't get the email so I called her and left a message on phone.

Wtf brehs? I am low key upset over this.

She hasn't called me either as of yet. I don't know what to do brehs. :mjcry:

I feel like I am chasing after a girl or some shyt.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
How would I fare with A+ from 2007, N and S from this year getting into IT? I am over 40 through.

In South Florida. Will agencies give me work? I want to quit my job and just get both asap.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
How would I fare with A+ from 2007, N and S from this year getting into IT? I am over 40 through.

In South Florida. Will agencies give me work? I want to quit my job and just get both asap.

Do you enjoy IT and can you sell yourself?
I think the biggest issue for you might be the drop in pay when you get in entry level or lack of IT experience.
Look for desktop support positions though, if you have a current N+ and sec+ you should be able to find something.
Another thing to look for is if you don't have a crim record or fukked up credit is getting in the US government fed contracting work. If you get a secret clearance you can really accelerate your pay

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do you think a+ is worthless? Should I jump straight into sec+? I think the courses I'm taking this semester will give some knowledge on a+ stuff. After I pass sec* I wanna take my ccna or ccent then join the military for experience and to get a clearance. Good or bad?

I'm taking courses at a local JC for A+, Networking, and Security+ just so I can get some hands on experience. I got my A+ back in 2005, but a refresher wouldn't hurt. :yeshrug:

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Do you enjoy IT and can you sell yourself?
I think the biggest issue for you might be the drop in pay when you get in entry level or lack of IT experience.
Look for desktop support positions though, if you have a current N+ and sec+ you should be able to find something.
Another thing to look for is if you don't have a crim record or fukked up credit is getting in the US government fed contracting work. If you get a secret clearance you can really accelerate your pay

No N and S yet, I have the A, after the others are completed I was asking about it.

No kids or anything like that so that clerance thing might work for me, I'm just unskilled for my age but a good citizen in cac eyes.

Good credit granting my income which is bad for my age.

I kinda what to quit my job to feel better about myself, my job kinda makes me depressed, probably staying in the library and getting these certs will make me feel better than coming to work around educated folks like this.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
I'm taking courses at a local JC for A+, Networking, and Security+ just so I can get some hands on experience. I got my A+ back in 2005, but a refresher wouldn't hurt. :yeshrug:

I have the opportunity to retrain for the A+ I got testout software through my school. I should reup mines since it's from 07.

I'm wondering most likely these jobs are checking when my a+ was given which is probably why they don't call back.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
No N and S yet, I have the A, after the others are completed I was asking about it.

No kids or anything like that so that clerance thing might work for me, I'm just unskilled for my age but a good citizen in cac eyes.

Good credit granting my income which is bad for my age.

I kinda what to quit my job to feel better about myself, my job kinda makes me depressed, probably staying in the library and getting these certs will make me feel better than coming to work around educated folks like this.
Man education is relative, I know people who are doctors but are idiots in regular shyt and people who are clever and can do jobs with no certs and a AA degree.
If you want to be in IT, I wish the best for you man, don't look for any certs and shyt to validate you, people who do that are nutjobs usually, in my experience.
Net+ and Sec+ should be no issue with studying and some braindumps to be honest. Get your Sec+ and you can really start working.
I'm rooting for you and hopefully you stop feeling down on yourself, you don't need a degree or shyt to be special or intelligent.

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have the opportunity to retrain for the A+ I got testout software through my school. I should reup mines since it's from 07.

I'm wondering most likely these jobs are checking when my a+ was given which is probably why they don't call back.

Have you been invited to any interviews yet? I'm only taking the A+ class so I can familiarize myself with everything again. I at least want to become an expert on the basics, especially if I start out in an entry level help desk position. I'm going to take the Network+ in 3 weeks and even if I pass, I'm still taking the Network class for hands on experience. All of my studies have been self study and not hands on practical.