IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Next summer will be my 5th year in this company. Company has given me so much and vice versa. I am happy with my job but im thinking i should see whats out there for me in 2018. See if I can't get more money elsewhere. I stay getting hitting up by recruiters and whatnot.

Same.

Daps
I don't like static environments. I want to travel and do POCs. Does anyone know of good companies for pre sales or VARs for Systems (PKI or Server migrations).

Basically any company that sells hardware or enterprise software has roles like this. And yes also VARs as well and there are many of those. Too many to name. So i would look at companies whose products you may have worked with or that interest you and apply for those. If you dont have pre-sales experience, post sales or service delivery is often a good way to get your foot in. Regarding travel, most of these jobs are travel jobs. How far you will travel depends on the company. Some you may travel globally. Others only as far as you can drive. Just depends.

Also if you are young look for smaller companies and startups. Join at the right time and you can cake up!

• Dap
Reactions: Czr
Daps
Next summer will be my 5th year in this company. Company has given me so much and vice versa. I am happy with my job but im thinking i should see whats out there for me in 2018. See if I can get more money elsewhere. I stay getting hitting up by recruiters and whatnot.

There is zero downside and seeing whats out there. By engaging recruiters, you can find out what your true worth is in the market. You also keep your interview skills fresh and if you get an offer, then you can make the decision regarding whether or not you want to stay.

There is nothing wrong with staying somewhere for a while. But if you arent learning new skills or being promoted or getting raises, its hurting you over time.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
There is zero downside and seeing whats out there. By engaging recruiters, you can find out what your true worth is in the market. You also keep your interview skills fresh and if you get an offer, then you can make the decision regarding whether or not you want to stay.

There is nothing wrong with staying somewhere for a while. But if you arent learning new skills or being promoted or getting raises, its hurting you over time.
HOW OFTEN DO YOU TEST WATERS?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
GitHub wants me to do a coding interview now since I passed their pre screening with the managed.

I'm assuming that it will either be Ruby and/or Bash.

I'm not strong at coding so it will be interesting but I got a week to practice a few things.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
GitHub wants me to do a coding interview now since I passed their pre screening with the managed.

I'm assuming that it will either be Ruby and/or Bash.

I'm not strong at coding so it will be interesting but I got a week to practice a few things.
Good. Don't procrastinate on that, like I'm currently doing.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I feel like I already have procrastinated. Interview is next week son. I've written some things in bash and Perl in my last role by example though
I was and still an in the same boat. For me the thing is I can usually solve the problems, just not in these O(1) requirements they look for since I was trained to make shyt that works first and optimize afterwards.