IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ok I figured out networking isn't something I want to do going forward. Where should I go from here? I have a A+ with 6 years of desktop/help desk experience. Should I go for the MCP? I want to be a system admin

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
ok I figured out networking isn't something I want to do going forward. Where should I go from here? I have a A+ with 6 years of desktop/help desk experience. Should I go for the MCP? I want to be a system admin
You could easily get a junior system admin role with that type of experience. From there you would be exposed to servers and whatnot and work your way up.

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
I'm not going to defcon. Do you have any advice for aspiring pen testers? I plan to relocate to the DMV after I pass the OSCP.

I am working on the OSCP too, def a great class! Advice for aspiring pen testers is a broad subject. PM me with where you are at, and where you want to be and I will do my best to help fill in some gaps and link you to info to help you out.

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm getting a little stressed out. Had a few conversations late last week that went well and waiting to hear back to them

also this Github thing I'm not sure what they will give me

I'm thinking a bash or Ruby exercise to extend upon so I've been reviewing Classic Shell Scripting and Eloquent Ruby.

I've only been out of work for a month though.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I am taking the cissp in four days. If I passed, I am focusing the AWS and putting my resume out there. Hopefully I can get a Cloud Security gig or I might even put might name in the bucket for government jobs out in DC.

Update: passed, thought it was pretty easy honestly. Only a few questions I didn't study for. If anything, I overstudied.

AWS here I come......

SDN next too.:shaq:

Edit for those who want to take sybex practice exams (both apps), cccure, youtube, sunflower notes 2017...i hate reading so i only read sections where the answer explainations werent enough for me.

Last edited:

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
Aight so I'm heading into my senior year at my uni as a MIS major, right now I have a 6 month internship as an I.T intern for a high end company. My goal is to eventually start my own cyber security firm. How do I build that foundation brehs?

Daps
Update: Hadn't been in here in a while. I've been working a Contract with VA in DC since late March as UC Engineer Tier II. Had been working on my CCNA Collab cert. Failed the first test and haven't been able/motivated to study with my commute. I've been commuting from Richmond to DC M-F totaling about 5 hrs on the road daily , Which is about the same amount of sleep I've been getting. I just put in my 2 weeks with nothing lined up. So i plan to get back into studying and knock out this cert and find something local. Keep grinding brehs.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Talked to a few people here at the job, essentialy my title is a Mail Clerk to most other companies, so I don't know if it even makes sense working, I can do something overnight with no clout and I think I'm gonna do that. I need to hurry up and get into IT. I don't really have time to waste doing this anymore at this age. Document Scanning is something that gonna be obsolete anyways so I see why companies wouldn't see no value in that, you process mail muthafukker, don't let them crackers tell you all this shyt to make you feel good. lol

MF DRUGS

Rookie
Daps
i'm trying to get into IT and I have no certs and no experience outside basic computer use but I work at a retail pharmacy so I was heavy mentioning customer service experience on my resume. I have 2 interviews tomorrow , 1 over the phone and 1 in person and i've read a lot about how getting your first job is one of the hardest things to do.

The in person interview doesn't seem like a great place, well at least compared to the other places i've applied. No extended application process, no phone interview first just one click through zip recruiter, a couple basic questions and i'm scheduled for an interview.

I know help desk jobs aren't good that doesnt matter to me I just need to get my foot in the door and get experience. should I just take the first job that offers?

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
i'm trying to get into IT and I have no certs and no experience outside basic computer use but I work at a retail pharmacy so I was heavy mentioning customer service experience on my resume. I have 2 interviews tomorrow , 1 over the phone and 1 in person and i've read a lot about how getting your first job is one of the hardest things to do.

The in person interview doesn't seem like a great place, well at least compared to the other places i've applied. No extended application process, no phone interview first just one click through zip recruiter, a couple basic questions and i'm scheduled for an interview.

I know help desk jobs aren't good that doesnt matter to me I just need to get my foot in the door and get experience. should I just take the first job that offers?

where you live?