IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I am taking the cissp in four days. If I passed, I am focusing the AWS and putting my resume out there. Hopefully I can get a Cloud Security gig or I might even put might name in the bucket for government jobs out in DC.

Last edited:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Man education is relative, I know people who are doctors but are idiots in regular shyt and people who are clever and can do jobs with no certs and a AA degree.
If you want to be in IT, I wish the best for you man, don't look for any certs and shyt to validate you, people who do that are nutjobs usually, in my experience.
Net+ and Sec+ should be no issue with studying and some braindumps to be honest. Get your Sec+ and you can really start working.
I'm rooting for you and hopefully you stop feeling down on yourself, you don't need a degree or shyt to be special or intelligent.

I'm happy having a job but you know when you doing underwhelming shyt you feel away around those doing real shyt lol. I was cool before I got in corporate america when I was in the hood with the homies but when I got in corporate america the light in my head came on to get shyt together, I rant alot on here but I'm from the bottom, single mother, christian lead household waiting on jesus, all that stuff I've been through it. I've been doing office work for years and haven't gotten anywhere close to 40k nor 35k so it's tough to be content with yourself in this position, you feel shytty and if you're not careful you might hurt someone or even yourself.

As a career I don't know what to expect due to age, in the back on my mind quitting and just getting all three then doing what's gotta be done is necessary. On the other half, you don't find money on the street.

Have you been invited to any interviews yet? I'm only taking the A+ class so I can familiarize myself with everything again. I at least want to become an expert on the basics, especially if I start out in an entry level help desk position. I'm going to take the Network+ in 3 weeks and even if I pass, I'm still taking the Network class for hands on experience. All of my studies have been self study and not hands on practical.

Haven't had a interview in about 3 years to be honest, maybe 2. Move to a good city a good market.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I have the opportunity to retrain for the A+ I got testout software through my school. I should reup mines since it's from 07.

I'm wondering most likely these jobs are checking when my a+ was given which is probably why they don't call back.
My experience with the South Florida tech market is that it's simply trash. If you can, I would move to a better city. There are far more canadates than there are jobs there. Where I was barely getting any responses back down there, since I moved to Boston last month I have literally had some type of interview almost every day and got 2 offers this week.

Other than that, I would put on your resume how the work you're doing now can be translated to a help desk position (good customer service, communication skills, quick to learn new concepts, etc.). Also, find a recruiter if you can. They will have better access to contract roles that can help you get some experience for your resume and may even keep you on.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I'm happy having a job but you know when you doing underwhelming shyt you feel away around those doing real shyt lol. I was cool before I got in corporate america when I was in the hood with the homies but when I got in corporate america the light in my head came on to get shyt together, I rant alot on here but I'm from the bottom, single mother, christian lead household waiting on jesus, all that stuff I've been through it. I've been doing office work for years and haven't gotten anywhere close to 40k nor 35k so it's tough to be content with yourself in this position, you feel shytty and if you're not careful you might hurt someone or even yourself.

As a career I don't know what to expect due to age, in the back on my mind quitting and just getting all three then doing what's gotta be done is necessary. On the other half, you don't find money on the street.

Haven't had a interview in about 3 years to be honest, maybe 2. Move to a good city a good market.
Only thing I would say is if you can keep your current job and study heavy after work and on the side.
Best of luck to you

Daps
I am taking the cissp in four days. If I passed, I am focusing the AWS and putting my resume out there. Hopefully I can get a Cloud Security gig or I might even put might name in the bucket for government jobs out in DC.
Good luck. the exam isnt that bad. Just keep hitting the test questions and be prepared for a long as test. but once you get that...... many jobs will open up.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
My experience with the South Florida tech market is that it's simply trash. If you can, I would move to a better city. There are far more canadates than there are jobs there. Where I was barely getting any responses back down there, since I moved to Boston last month I have literally had some type of interview almost every day and got 2 offers this week.

Other than that, I would put on your resume how the work you're doing now can be translated to a help desk position (good customer service, communication skills, quick to learn new concepts, etc.). Also, find a recruiter if you can. They will have better access to contract roles that can help you get some experience for your resume and may even keep you on.

cant go too far, my mom is old and I'm a only child, want to stay close by. south florida is pretty bad for certain.

Only thing I would say is if you can keep your current job and study heavy after work and on the side.
Best of luck to you

yeah, quitting would free up great time, I study about 90 minutes a night due to work and tiredness.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
cant go too far, my mom is old and I'm a only child, want to stay close by. south florida is pretty bad for certain.

yeah, quitting would free up great time, I study about 90 minutes a night due to work and tiredness.
That should be enough, might as well skip the Net+ and really just focus on your Sec+ devote those 90mins a day to that and a good book/study guide and you should be good. Its isn't that deep a test, and it makes no sense to lose or give up a job for a cert that isn't going to guarantee you a job.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
That should be enough, might as well skip the Net+ and really just focus on your Sec+ devote those 90mins a day to that and a good book/study guide and you should be good. Its isn't that deep a test, and it makes no sense to lose or give up a job for a cert that isn't going to guarantee you a job.

It will bring something the S+ and N+ and I will do something overnight if I can't bear this shyt anymore. rather drive a car for less than do this shyt.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
aye, it's me again. Cyber Security degree/early 20s already have 2 years cyber security experience

Have any of y'all tried working in the government or for the Air Force as a civilian? Do you think it's something worth doing in terms of career development? Short term I'd make more money in the private sector, but a lot of people have been telling me it might be worth it to take the pay cut for now

Spin

All Star
Daps
aye, it's me again. Cyber Security degree/early 20s already have 2 years cyber security experience

Have any of y'all tried working in the government or for the Air Force as a civilian? Do you think it's something worth doing in terms of career development? Short term I'd make more money in the private sector, but a lot of people have been telling me it might be worth it to take the pay cut for now

If you can get a top secret clearance, that's good money. Some companies will pay for your to get it, but most prefer people who already have it. Are you on the technical side of Security or more CISSP management?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

What is it that you are trying to achieve?

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
If you can get a top secret clearance, that's good money. Some companies will pay for your to get it, but most prefer people who already have it. Are you on the technical side of Security or more CISSP management?

My 2 years of experience have been on more of the CISSP "security management" side of the house, but I have a solid foundation of the technical side.

I'm still in the early stages of my career and I've been thinking about getting a CEH to expand my knowledge base a bit.

I heard the ts clearance is pretty profitable long term, and the gov is apparently generous when it comes to paying for your certs and training.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
What is it that you are trying to achieve?

right now, I have an interest in exploring different areas of the cyber field to gain a diverse catalog of experience and extend my knowledge base.

- So far I've done the networking, vulnerability analysis, compliance and standards (I've discovered corporate cyber security involves a lot of documentation), etc. (Think Security+, CISSP type activities)
- I'm trying to get more "professional" experience in the areas of malware analysis and penetration testing (but that isn't something they normally jump to let recent grads do)

- additionally I took a cyber law class my last year of school that grabbed my attention. Not sure if that's something I would want to do, but it's definitely some interesting stuff.

There's so many niches in the cyber security field, it's really flexible...I guess I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in best at the moment

Daps
right now, I have an interest in exploring different areas of the cyber field to gain a diverse catalog of experience and extend my knowledge base.

- So far I've done the networking, vulnerability analysis, compliance and standards (I've discovered corporate cyber security involves a lot of documentation), etc. (Think Security+, CISSP type activities)
- I'm trying to get more "professional" experience in the areas of malware analysis and penetration testing (but that isn't something they normally jump to let recent grads do)

- additionally I took a cyber law class my last year of school that grabbed my attention. Not sure if that's something I would want to do, but it's definitely some interesting stuff.

There's so many niches in the cyber security field, it's really flexible...I guess I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in best at the moment
go on indeed and search using keywords for your top skills. This is a good way to see what different roles are out there.